11-07-10, 06:21 AM   #1
Dizazsters
A Defias Bandit
Something to Automatically Bind Quest Items

It would be nice to have a addon that automatically binds quest items so they are easier to use. For me it would just be a preference of choosing to keybind over clicking, but it would also be a tremendous help for people using laptops with no mouse. If this addon is out there please inform me because I can't find one.
11-07-10, 07:24 AM   #2
Gandoch
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The scope is a little wider, but IHML is great for this sort of thing.
11-07-10, 08:07 AM   #3
ShadowProwler420
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Why not simply drag-n-drop the quest item you need to use to an action bar and keybind it?

If you don't want to do that, Carbonite's quest watcher list has small buttons next to any quest that has usable quest items.

11-07-10, 09:41 AM   #4
Evenprimes
A Defias Bandit
I'd suggest either Opie or AutoBarMuffin. Both can build dynamic lists of click-to-use quest items and make them available via a hotkey.
11-07-10, 10:05 AM   #5
Gsusnme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Let's not forget QBar as it's my personal favorite, it also has optional ButtonFacade support. It allows you to add a key-bind to it but it's a little flaky.

There is also QuestClicks which seems a lot more robust, with the extra added ability to manually add or remove specific items from showing on the bar, via the in-game interface.
Currently no key-bind support but the author has stated that is a soon to come feature.
11-07-10, 12:55 PM   #6
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by ShadowProwler420 View Post
If you don't want to do that, Carbonite's quest watcher list has small buttons next to any quest that has usable quest items.
You can also set a keybind to the quest item for the closest quest.

11-08-10, 04:20 PM   #7
Dizazsters
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by ShadowProwler420 View Post
Why not simply drag-n-drop the quest item you need to use to an action bar and keybind it?
The whole reason for this addon would be to not do that.

Originally Posted by Gsusnme View Post
Let's not forget QBar as it's my personal favorite, it also has optional ButtonFacade support. It allows you to add a key-bind to it but it's a little flaky.

There is also QuestClicks which seems a lot more robust, with the extra added ability to manually add or remove specific items from showing on the bar, via the in-game interface.
Currently no key-bind support but the author has stated that is a soon to come feature.
Qbar looks perfect, thanks so much and to others that left suggestions.
09-27-14, 09:12 PM   #8
Pedrotic
A Murloc Raider

anything updated on this?
09-27-14, 09:36 PM   #9
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Quite the necrobump (4 years man), but, you're in luck.

I've been working on this for Warlords of Draenor beta, and it seems to work well so far.
It basically replicates the ExtraActionButton, but for quest items. It even uses the same keybinding!

If you have a quest that provides an item to use for a quest, it will show a button.
If you have multiple quests, it will show the one you are closest to the center of.
The minimum range you have to be to the center of the quest is currently 250 yards, but that is not final.

Give it a whirl, I'll make sure to upload it here on Wowinterface once WoD is out and I'm sure it's stable enough for public release.

https://github.com/p3lim-wow/ExtraQuestButton

Last edited by p3lim : 09-27-14 at 10:23 PM.
09-27-14, 09:36 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

Not sure what there is to update, but I don't use an addon for this; I just use the following macro to use whatever item is displayed first in the quest tracker:
/click WatchFrameItem1
I have it bound to Alt-Q but you could also just drop it on any action button if you don't like "hidden" keybinds.

This of course depends on you having automatic quest tracking turned on so the items are actually shown in the tracker, and you may also want to sort the tracked quests by proximity.
09-27-14, 10:21 PM   #11
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Although that works, it has some downsides compared to what I've been working on:

- Depends on the WatchFrame and the proximity setting (which I've personally found to be far from reliable)
- Because of this, if there is just one quest higher up it doesn't work (I think)
- Doesn't show the item in the macro nor the cooldown
- Install any addon that replaces the WatchFrame and it won't work
- Not future-proof (you'll need a new one for the expansion because of the changes)
- Yet another keybinding
09-27-14, 11:09 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Because of this, if there is just one quest higher up it doesn't work (I think)
Quest tracker item buttons are dynamically assigned. Each row doesn't have its own permanent button. "WatchFrameItem1" is always the first shown item button. It doesn't matter if you're tracking 47 quests and the first item button is shown on row 45 -- it's still "WatchFrameItem1".

The only reason I suggested proximity-based sorting (personally I don't use it) is because occasionally you might have more than one quest with an item to use, so proximity sorting will help prevent situations where the item you want to use isn't the first one listed.

Doesn't show the item in the macro nor the cooldown
True, but since I just use a key binding, I don't see the macro anyway, and I'd assume anyone else looking specifically for a key binding for quest items doesn't care about that either.

Not future-proof (you'll need a new one for the expansion because of the changes)
Nothing is future-proof. Blizzard doesn't guarantee stability for even the most basic API functions. This isn't really a compelling argument, especially since updating my macro will require about 10 seconds to /fstack, note the new frame name (if it's even changed), and update the macro.

Yet another keybinding
OP specifically asked for a key binding. If you just want to click stuff, why not just click it in the watch frame?

Last edited by Phanx : 09-27-14 at 11:13 PM.
09-28-14, 06:39 AM   #13
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
OP specifically asked for a key binding. If you just want to click stuff, why not just click it in the watch frame?
It basically replicates the ExtraActionButton, but for quest items. It even uses the same keybinding!
All in all, it's up to each user, I'm gonna release my project in any case.
09-28-14, 08:10 AM   #14
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Any idea why Kaspersky blocks this link for Phishing?
Code:
worldofwarcraft.mmocluster.com/img_achievments/1214723_ff01f2981ad4834a84e50ae3885b0876.jpg
09-28-14, 09:58 AM   #15
Pedrotic
A Murloc Raider

haha thank u bro...
for ur answer...
followed ur link but its kinda confusing(help a nab here)what to download how to install and how it works and stuff xD
09-28-14, 10:23 AM   #16
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Pedrotic View Post
haha thank u bro...
for ur answer...
followed ur link but its kinda confusing(help a nab here)what to download how to install and how it works and stuff xD
There's a "Download ZIP" button in the bottom-right, install the folder inside that zip like any other addon, but you have to rename the folder to remove the "-master" part at the end.

You'll see how it works when you get a quest with an item, the keybinding is the same as the "Extra Action" in the normal keybinding window.
09-29-14, 03:41 PM   #17
Pedrotic
A Murloc Raider

thank u mate...
i will try it out and report back yet i am using it with a UI, i am not sure how will they work together...

my UI:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...inUI.html#info

irrelevant question:

NPCScan addon makes an annoying "yellow circle" around the player in my minimap, how to disable this circle WITHOUT disabling the addon ? :}

edit1:
is this addon add the Extra Button in KeyBindings? if thats it, i bound T or R to it but it did nothing, dosent it use quest items?

Last edited by Pedrotic : 09-29-14 at 03:58 PM.
09-29-14, 06:11 PM   #18
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

thank u mate...
i will try it out and report back yet i am using it with a UI, i am not sure how will they work together...

my UI:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...inUI.html#info

irrelevant question:

NPCScan addon makes an annoying "yellow circle" around the player in my minimap, how to disable this circle WITHOUT disabling the addon ? :}

edit1:
is this addon add the Extra Button in KeyBindings? if thats it, i bound T or R to it but it did nothing, dosent it use quest items?
I already stated that it only works in Warlords of Draenor, you're most likely playing on live servers, not the beta or PTR.
09-30-14, 10:40 AM   #19
Pedrotic
A Murloc Raider

oops yeah!
thank u so i'll wait for WoD xD

BTW do u have any clue about my other question!?
09-30-14, 08:20 PM   #20
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

I'm not in the game right now to check what it's called, but there is an option to disable it. Did you even look?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Something to Automatically Bind Quest Items