06-02-09, 06:53 AM   #1
Bellator
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

What resolution would you recommend?

After several years of tweeking by on an old Gateway I finally was able to upgrade to a nice new computer. This one has plenty of power, 1g video, 4g memory. Also purchased a new Acer 23" widescreen monitor which supports HD/DVI. At the moment I am running WoW in 1024x768, haven't tried any other settings. What would you recommend to run Wow, nothing excessive just a nice screen that doesn't overload the fps, currently running around 60fps. I downloaded nUI+ and looking forward to seeing and trying it out. Been putting off until I have the new computer and WoW all set up.

Thanks for any input.

Bellator

Mary-Chapin Carpenter
06-02-09, 07:03 AM   #2
Katae
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The best answer would be to just tweak it until you find the best resolution:fps ratio, also, resolution isn't the only thing that would slow your fps, try tweaking the graphical settings like terrain distance and shadows.
06-02-09, 07:12 AM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Always run it at your monitors native resolution. Then read the performance guide from the tech support forums here, and take a look at TweakWoW from here.
06-04-09, 05:48 AM   #4
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Always run it at your monitors native resolution. Then read the performance guide from the tech support forums here, and take a look at TweakWoW from here.
+1. TFT monitors look terrible when running anything but native.
06-04-09, 10:37 AM   #5
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Yeah DEFINITELY run at native res. Otherwise everything typically looks horrible.

Not to sure of your monitors resolution? Tips to figure it out.

- Look at the box/manualy it came with
- Typically this will be the MAX resolution you can select when you try to change resolution.
- Download and run this app. Moninfo (Download is on left top) This will tell you your monitors native res under "Timing characteristics"

ALSO make sure you are using the latest drivers for your system. If you bought a pre-built computer chances are you are not running the latest drivers for everything as a lot of system are built and sit in a warehouse MONTHS before being purchased. Lots of things can change in that time.

One of the DOWNSIDES to LCD monitors is the fact you need to run native res for best quality. Seeing as to this native res is usually pretty high it usually has an impact on FPS with older computers.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » What resolution would you recommend?