04-25-09, 09:14 AM   #1
Foxthorn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Creating a two dimensional array?

Okay, another problem...I'm trying to use a two dimensional array to store some settings, like this:

Code:
someArray[Name][Value] = 4
But if I just type that into the editbox, I get this:

Code:
[string "someArray["Name"]["Value"] = 4"] line 1:
   attempt to index global 'someArray' (a nil value)
Halp?
04-25-09, 09:29 AM   #2
xConStruct
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You first have to create the array/table, as well as the table in the first dimension:
Code:
someArray = {}
someArray[Name] = {}

Oh hai!
04-25-09, 09:45 AM   #3
Foxthorn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Ah, that worked. Thanks.

Another question, is there any way to loop through every FontString that's parented to a specific frame, and do something to each one?

Last edited by Foxthorn : 04-25-09 at 10:37 AM.
04-25-09, 12:14 PM   #4
Foxthorn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

New problem...Still working on that two-dimensional array. Here's some of the code:
Code:
function WXP_Draw(WXP_otherXP,WXP_otherMax,WXP_Name,WXP_Level)
WXP_Old["otherXP"][WXP_Name] = WXP_otherXP
And I get this error:
attempt to index field 'otherXP' (a string value)
Even after I do
Code:
WXP_otherXP = tonumber(WXP_otherXP)
I still get the same error.
WXP_otherXP is a number (76957) and I can perform arithmetic on it (before doing tonumber).

Hmm...if WXP_Old["otherXP"] is a number, will trying to use WXP_Old["otherXP"][WXP_Name] even work? (first it was a number/string, and now you're trying to make it another array thing)

Last edited by Foxthorn : 04-25-09 at 12:18 PM.
04-25-09, 12:25 PM   #5
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Foxthorn View Post
New problem...Still working on that two-dimensional array. Here's some of the code:
Code:
function WXP_Draw(WXP_otherXP,WXP_otherMax,WXP_Name,WXP_Level)
WXP_Old["otherXP"][WXP_Name] = WXP_otherXP
And I get this error:

Even after I do
Code:
WXP_otherXP = tonumber(WXP_otherXP)
I still get the same error.
WXP_otherXP is a number (76957) and I can perform arithmetic on it (before doing tonumber).

Hmm...if WXP_Old["otherXP"] is a number, will trying to use WXP_Old["otherXP"][WXP_Name] even work? (first it was a number/string, and now you're trying to make it another array thing)
how are you defining WXP_Old? is there a "otherXP" index that contains a table? that is, did you ever do a "WXP_Old["otherXP"] = {}" or similar?

also, WXP_Old["otherXP"] can be written as WXP_Old.otherXP which might be a little easier on the eyes. written this way, it's also clear that it's not really a multidemensional array like it is in C so much as a table (WXP_Old) that contains another table (otherXP).
04-25-09, 12:26 PM   #6
xConStruct
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Another question, is there any way to loop through every FontString that's parented to a specific frame, and do something to each one?
You could fetch all regions of the frame with :GetRegions() and check if they're font strings.
Code:
local regions = { frame:GetRegions() }
for _, region in pairs(regions) do
  if(region:IsObjectType("FontString")) then
    doSomething()
  end
end

Oh hai!
04-25-09, 01:45 PM   #7
Foxthorn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
how are you defining WXP_Old? is there a "otherXP" index that contains a table? that is, did you ever do a "WXP_Old["otherXP"] = {}" or similar?

also, WXP_Old["otherXP"] can be written as WXP_Old.otherXP which might be a little easier on the eyes. written this way, it's also clear that it's not really a multidemensional array like it is in C so much as a table (WXP_Old) that contains another table (otherXP).
Yeah, originally it was basically if WXP_Old["otherXP"] = nil, set it to 0.

So I changed it to set it to {} instead of 0. I have to restart my game and clear out the old SavedVariable to fix it since it's still saving it as 0, but I'm questing with a friend so I'll have to do it later.

Originally Posted by Cargor View Post
You could fetch all regions of the frame with :GetRegions() and check if they're font strings.
Code:
local regions = { frame:GetRegions() }
for _, region in pairs(regions) do
  if(region:IsObjectType("FontString")) then
    doSomething()
  end
end
Thanks! I'll use that instead of the longer loop-through-party-and-use-each-member's-name method I'm using now

Last edited by Foxthorn : 04-25-09 at 01:48 PM.
04-25-09, 07:26 PM   #8
Foxthorn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Yet another problem...here's the code:

Code:
_G["WXP_Text_"..WXP_Name]:SetText(WXP_TextString..WXP_Name.."("..WXP_Level..")")
And here's the resulting error...

attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
WXP_TextString, WXP_Name, and WXP_Level are all strings, and I think WXL_Text_(WXP_Name) does exist at that point, it may not though. If it didn't, is that what would be causing this error? And if not, then what is?

Note: When you first log in to a character, you get this error, and the FontString that this modifies doesn't exist. However, when you do a ReloadUI, you don't get the error, the FontString appears, and all works fine. So obviously there's something that's not happening when you first log in, but does happen after a ReloadUI.

If someone would be willing to take a look at the full source, say so and I can get it to you, it'd help a lot if I could get this sorted out.

Last edited by Foxthorn : 04-25-09 at 08:20 PM.
04-30-09, 09:31 PM   #9
tsadok
An Aku'mai Servant

is that what would be causing this error?
The font string does not exist yet, so the global you're looking for ("WXP_Text_"..WXP_Name) is nil. To perform a method (SetText()), Lua expects the object to be a table with all its methods and other stuff. So it tries to do a table lookup for ["SetText"] but there isn't a table yet.

It may only be happening on login because the fontstring is waiting on certain events to be created which could take longer during login than during a /reloadui.

Hope this makes sense...

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Creating a two dimensional array?