04-24-08, 08:50 PM   #1
malachy
A Kobold Labourer
Custom Raid Icons

Hello All

New to UI modding but not to programming. In short I'm looking for a way to replace the WoW default raid icons "skull X square " etc. If possible let me know I'd like to research doing it myself, or if it is and already done please let me know. I remember when CTRaid did this before Blizzard added by default so it seems feasable.
04-25-08, 02:03 AM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Think this might fall under modifying the 3d world, in which case it cant be done.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-25-08, 04:41 AM   #3
dark666105
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by malachy View Post
Hello All

New to UI modding but not to programming. In short I'm looking for a way to replace the WoW default raid icons "skull X square " etc. If possible let me know I'd like to research doing it myself, or if it is and already done please let me know. I remember when CTRaid did this before Blizzard added by default so it seems feasable.
ive been wondering about something similar to this for awhile, yeah the raid leaders have their icons they can put up for the raid but what about a mod to give the player some icons so they can mark things for themselves and keep track of them, not necessarely something synced but at least something just for the one player.
04-25-08, 08:39 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by dark666105 View Post
ive been wondering about something similar to this for awhile, yeah the raid leaders have their icons they can put up for the raid but what about a mod to give the player some icons so they can mark things for themselves and keep track of them, not necessarely something synced but at least something just for the one player.
See the post directly above yours.

As for the icons, I don't even see them in the extracted art files from the game to know where to replace them - but I admit that I didn't look very hard...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-25-08, 12:42 PM   #5
dark666105
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
See the post directly above yours.

As for the icons, I don't even see them in the extracted art files from the game to know where to replace them - but I admit that I didn't look very hard...
yeah except you forget that CTRA was doing the raid markers just fine and then blizz just incorporated that feature into wow itself. so it can be done with a mod, it kinda already has been done, but only with the full CTRA package from way back when
04-25-08, 02:55 PM   #6
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

From way back when. Its been nerfed as a possibility at this point. Simply put. Its a graphic element of the 3d world. Therefore its on the **ban you to oblivion and back** list of no no's.

While it may have been/currently is possible its not even remotely worth the risk of losing your account.

The only way i can see doing it legally game wise is if there were a way to make a panel much like eepanels does that would move and resize itself based on a relative position of a target. So its more the illusion of depth and movement. The problem is it would likely use a ton of CPU and considering you cant get positions in an instance there is no true point of reference.

Just have to suggest it and wait for blizz to make a call on adding a feature like this.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-25-08, 03:11 PM   #7
dark666105
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
From way back when. Its been nerfed as a possibility at this point. Simply put. Its a graphic element of the 3d world. Therefore its on the **ban you to oblivion and back** list of no no's.

While it may have been/currently is possible its not even remotely worth the risk of losing your account.

The only way i can see doing it legally game wise is if there were a way to make a panel much like eepanels does that would move and resize itself based on a relative position of a target. So its more the illusion of depth and movement. The problem is it would likely use a ton of CPU and considering you cant get positions in an instance there is no true point of reference.

Just have to suggest it and wait for blizz to make a call on adding a feature like this.
from
http://www.wowwiki.com/Events/Instance

"PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD"
Category: System,Instance

Fired when the player enters the world, enters/leaves an instance, or respawns at a graveyard. Also fires any other time the player sees a loading screen.

To check if the player is entering an instance, check GetPlayerMapPosition to see if both X and Y are zero.

Correction on the above comment: When PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD fires, you'll notice that WORLD_MAP_UPDATE fires just before it. My instincts tell that leaving an instance puts the player in void space momentarily. So for the case that you are entering AND leaving an instance, GetPlayerMapPosition always returns the coordinates [0,0] and hence there is no way to determine using the event PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD if the player is entering an instance or not. When leaving an instance the following events fire (ignoring party/raid events).

WORLD_MAP_UPDATE
PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD
WORLD_MAP_UPDATE <--- Player coordinates are non-zero here

Instances do have coordinates for units once the second WORLD_MAP_UPDATE event has fired. For the case of entering a battleground such as WSG, WORLD_MAP_UPDATE won't fire until you leave Silverwing Hold or Warsong Lumber Mill and you are outside. --Salanex
04-25-08, 03:17 PM   #8
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I didn't read the rest of the posts after this, but the raid target icons are at:
Code:
Blizzard Interface Art (enUS)\TargetingFrame\UI-RaidTargetingIcons.blp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UI-RaidTargetingIcons.png
Views:	16759
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	1730  

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
04-25-08, 07:28 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by dark666105 View Post
...snip...
I don't think you're quite following...

Coordinates don't exist in instances. What you quoted is a way for addons to tell when someone is in an instance or not, and a possible limitation (and workaround for that limitation) of that method.

Not a way to get coordinates in an instance.

And thank you, Dread. For some reason I didn't think to look in the Target Frame folder...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-09-08, 05:22 PM   #10
Aarokh
A Cyclonian

Ouch, I read about it maybe being against the TOS to modify these icons..
Anyhow, I tried to replace them with my own icons, basically these:

Well it's been months (sorry for posting in an old thread but If I had created a new one someone would have mentioned I didn't use search.

Well did anyone figure out if it is allowed to exchange the icons, and if it is allowed or not? I couldn't find anything in the eula.. Besides, I think modifying these should be as allowed as being able to modify the nameplates just like Aloft does for example.

Sadly i have no connections to any official that could answer me this question. Anyone else might happen to know this by any chance now since its been a few months?
09-09-08, 05:27 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Since they exist in the Interface Art folder, you should be able to do a replace for them, by plugging them into the appropriate folder in your Interface folder.

Interface\TargetingFrame\UI-RaidTargetingIcons.blp

Those look cool, by the way.

09-09-08, 05:36 PM   #12
Aarokh
A Cyclonian

That's the point. It doesn't work in the regular interface folder for some reason.
But it does work to some extent in the data/language/interface folder that also contains the cinematics. (And thats where my worries of getting banned come from heh, hope that it won't happen)
Basically it shows the new icons on the unitframes like pitbull and aloft, but does not change the actual big icons above your head if you mark yourself with one of the icons.

Sadly.

BTW thank you, I tried keeping the original structure but modifying them to look a little more beautiful and not so ugly like the original ones.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Custom Raid Icons