07-22-09, 12:04 PM   #41
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Meh, I'll risk taking the flames by having a differenting opinion.

Carbonite is a good addon. I'm sure you all agree with that, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

Carbonite still works. I haven't had a major breakdown of it yet, and by browsing the Bugs section for a while, I can safely say no one else has either. Save for the private server jer- ehm, persons, but those deserve a slap on the fingers anyhow.

Carbonite will continue to work in the future. The devs have made that clear.

So those three points is what I use to take my stand.
It's good.
It works.
It will continue working.

So what if it's not updated as often as Addon XY? So what if you get answers from diligent users instead of the developers? I ask you this, if the developers have, say, forty hours a week to work on Carbonite, would you prefer that they put those forty hours on the product, or the community that's already taking care of itself?

In my humble opinion, it seems as if those who complain about lack of attention are either those who think they're still paying for a subscription and is due to that superior than others, those that get agitated because feature X is not available in the addon, or those who're just all-in-all angry at everyone and everything.

Just my two cents. Flame on, if you wish, but it still doesn't change the three major points. It's good, it works, it will continue working.

Thank you for your time.

07-22-09, 12:26 PM   #42
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
In my humble opinion, it seems as if those who complain about lack of attention are either those who think they're still paying for a subscription and is due to that superior than others, those that get agitated because feature X is not available in the addon, or those who're just all-in-all angry at everyone and everything.

Just my two cents. Flame on, if you wish, but it still doesn't change the three major points. It's good, it works, it will continue working.

Thank you for your time.
No one is arguing that its good. No one is arguing that it works. No one is arguing that it will continue working for as long as it's being developed.

You're opinion of how anyone else feels is exactly that, an opinion. Which is of course based on skimming over the text in the posts and not really paying attention to what some of us are saying.

07-22-09, 02:04 PM   #43
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
If time to work on Carbonite is EXTREMELY limited to a few hours a month then maybe it's time to accept help from the public. There are plenty of talented people here that will gladly help for free.
Help from others would require sharing our source code, which none of us want to do. I've been a programmer for over 20 years. I have never given my code away. To me it is like gold. It is my trade skill in this life. It is what supports my family. Open source and public domain is fine for those who wish to do that and I am glad many of those projects exist like Firefox, but those programmers make a living from some other source or they would be living on the street or in their parents basement.

I've been on many different game teams, small and large. I know all about the inefficiencies (communication, planning, code merging/review, egos) involved. Each body makes it worse. I don't like or want the drama.

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
BUT we do expect some support. I constantly see questions of help here on the Carb forums. 99.9% of these are answered by myself and other WoWI users and not the Carb team. Forum support is just as good as product updates.
Except for the fact that I found a lot of posts not answered from the last several weeks. I wish 99.9% of those were answered, so I would not have to. You want to help? Answer more forum posts. Write tutorials. Post about missing quests by actually telling us the verified correct location(s). Give someone a hug and tell them how you luv Carbonite.

Unfortunately there are some type of posts no one but I can answer, since they require detailed knowledge of how the code works. I will try to keep up with those better. No guarantees, but I will try.

07-22-09, 03:00 PM   #44
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
Except for the fact that I found a lot of posts not answered from the last several weeks.

Really??

It's your project, not ours. We are not responsible for answering help threads for your product (I do when I have time, as do others here. But my main focus is nUI, since the author cares about his addon and goes above and beyond to update and help others). That's a simple statement of fact and one that will never change unless you decide to let others help you with it's development. You've made your feelings known about this (without question, this is your right) so it isn't going to change.

I do tell others about Carbonite, and I also vehemently let them know without any doubts whatsoever that support from the Carb devs is slim.

Last edited by Petrah : 07-22-09 at 03:05 PM.

07-22-09, 03:34 PM   #45
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
It's your project, not ours. We are not responsible for answering help threads for your product.
Haha! You say let us join the project and help out. I tell you how and then it is "your project...your responsibility". Hmm, don't think I can actually make you happy. Rough life? I tell you what, The Bible has a lot of good stuff in it. Keeps me going.

07-22-09, 03:59 PM   #46
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You really need to stop twisting peoples words. If you let others help you develop Carbonite, then yes, those that help with the development would be assisting you with answering threads here. You don't want to allow this, so don't you dare complain when we don't do your job.

You have a lot of nerve bringing religion into this. Keep your religion off of these forums.

/fumes and waits for a moderator

Last edited by Petrah : 07-22-09 at 04:09 PM.

07-22-09, 04:19 PM   #47
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You really need to stop twisting peoples words. If you let others help you develop Carbonite, then yes, those that help with the development would be assisting you with answering threads here. You don't want to allow this, so don't you dare complain when we don't do your job.
I told you how people could help, but you just don't seem to like the answer. You want code control or nothing.

You have a lot of nerve bringing religion into this.
Religion effects everything I do, as it should, since I do believe in a God that I am responsible to. People secure in their religion or lack there of are not afraid of anothers.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Supporters?