03-28-08, 02:58 PM   #1
HettiOnAir
A Defias Bandit

How to update by using WAU

This is going to be my first post becaused of 2.4 and using the WAU.
I would like to know what is the right way to update ACE-Addons that Mazzles-UI uses. Is it WITH or WITHOUT exernals?
03-28-08, 03:23 PM   #2
tintingurl
A Frostmaul Preserver

i think it does it auto when updating it does it with mine anyways mine is with exernals but with mazzle addons it does it without auto.
03-28-08, 11:01 PM   #3
treebeard72
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by tintingurl View Post
i think it does it auto when updating it does it with mine anyways mine is with exernals but with mazzle addons it does it without auto.
In the beginning before Mr. Mazzle went to Middle Earth to drink with hobbits, I believe one the driving features to this compilation/interface was to keep the memory allocation down, so there were explicit instructions not to install WITH externals (I will cover my ass on this by adding a "IIRC").

But back in November during the last great Add-On dust up, and we were still operating without and official working Mazzle process, the requirement of keeping the addon memory allocation took a back-seat to getting Mazzle back on its feet, thus many instructions were provided that stated, in some cases, to install with addons.

When the dust settled, and the Mazzle Lite version was released, there were instructions provided by Detard (or someone else) that spoke to a ground-up install of this entire package and whether externals were required. If are starting point was the installation based upon those instructions, then your question can probably be answered by looking at the notes. Now that we are in a dust-up again, exteranls versus no-externals is probably up for grabs until the new official released is...released.
03-29-08, 10:26 AM   #4
Aethenelle
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by HettiOnAir View Post
This is going to be my first post becaused of 2.4 and using the WAU.
I would like to know what is the right way to update ACE-Addons that Mazzles-UI uses. Is it WITH or WITHOUT exernals?
Use JWoWUpdater instead cause it doesn't use an insecure .NET hook to show adds. You can also use JWU to update addons from wowint, wowui and curse with a little work.

Either way set it up to not download externals and not split addons with filelist.wau files.

The first helps with not having duplicate files, version control, and load times.

The second is due to a poor implementation of the split addon idea.
03-29-08, 11:22 AM   #5
DanielCoffey
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Aethenelle - is JWoWUpdater suitable for Mac users (Leopard)?

I've been using the Mac version of WAU from http://www.lsmason.com/software/wowaceupdater/ but I suspect it loads with externals since Mazzle takes up much more memory that I would expect and it doesn't have any options to choose with or without.
03-29-08, 02:30 PM   #6
isaacquotien
Premium Member
Premium Member
i was wondering about that a while and back and here is what i found on the wowace site.

if you load with externals.....it will put all the libraries that the individual addon accesses in a subdirectory under the addon.

if you load without externals....it will put 1 version of the libararies at the same level as all the other addons.

So.....if you dont have that many addons (not sure who that would be ) or only want to see the names of addons in your addons listing...then load with externals.....because it will put a copy of all the required libraries under each addon.

If you have a lot of addons ( mememememe :P ) then you want to setup to load without externals as.....it will take wow longer to load your character when it is having to put in memory 50 addons and each one has its own version of a particular library that it references......instead of them all just referencing the one version of the library loaded at the same level as other addons.

Bottom line......with externals each addon is its own entity, fully selfsupportive and will supposedly run faster ingame....but take longer to load and potentially use more memory whereas without externals will load faster and use less memory when dealing with numerous addons that use the same libraries but increase the overall number of addons loaded.

I hope accurately described the process in laymans terms and didnt confuse the picture more.

BTW....when you first install wowaceupdater......it asks you if you want to use externals or not...and says if you dont know to select with externals.....thats a foul in my book because for 99% of us....we should be loading WITHOUT externals.

Cheers,
IQ
03-29-08, 03:01 PM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Aethenelle View Post
Use JWoWUpdater instead cause it doesn't use an insecure .NET hook to show adds.
What?

Shirik, comments, thoughts please? I think this is why the adds on mine were not showing up.. one of the security software's that I was using was blocking it (CCLeaner if I'm not mistaken).

As anal as I am about security on my computer (not only is it my play comp, but it is my work comp as I run my online business from home), I would really like some information about this.

Thanks.
03-29-08, 03:34 PM   #8
Arabeth
A Black Drake

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by isaacquotien View Post
Bottom line......with externals each addon is its own entity, fully selfsupportive and will supposedly run faster ingame....but take longer to load and potentially use more memory whereas without externals will load faster and use less memory when dealing with numerous addons that use the same libraries but increase the overall number of addons loaded.
I don't think that is quite accurate...

WITH externals loads slower than WITHOUT because each addon loads its libraries separately, rather than them all just loading once. But, once the libraries have loaded into memory, there is only one version of it (no matter how many addons load a particular library) and any addon needing that library will use the one in memory. There shouldn't be any greater memory load using WITH externals. There will be no performance difference noticed once the game is loaded either.

The WITH/WITHOUT debate is really (to me) one of distribution. If you only had one ACE addon you wouldn't want to have every library known to ACEdom sitting on your hard drive, so it carries it's own along with it. I would tend to think that if you were using a lots of ACE addons it might be more 'advantageous' to have them loading WITHOUT externals, but it will only affect load time.
03-29-08, 04:58 PM   #9
fyrye
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Arabeth View Post
I don't think that is quite accurate...

WITH externals loads slower than WITHOUT because each addon loads its libraries separately, rather than them all just loading once. But, once the libraries have loaded into memory, there is only one version of it (no matter how many addons load a particular library) and any addon needing that library will use the one in memory. There shouldn't be any greater memory load using WITH externals. There will be no performance difference noticed once the game is loaded either.

The WITH/WITHOUT debate is really (to me) one of distribution. If you only had one ACE addon you wouldn't want to have every library known to ACEdom sitting on your hard drive, so it carries it's own along with it. I would tend to think that if you were using a lots of ACE addons it might be more 'advantageous' to have them loading WITHOUT externals, but it will only affect load time.
Very well stated. The official mazzle setup had its own standalone libraries for each addon, carefully plotted out and sorted for you. No fillers or junk to slow down you load time.
With the majority of the community downloading their own addons from WAU, the whole "THAT LOOKS COOL" factor played into affect, and they came to the mazzle forum for support for what they themselves did.
Simply put, Download Dependencies in the options is enabled, install/update WithOUT externals if you know and wish to deal the individual lib files (is what i use and if i get an error stating a library file was missing, i download it using WAU, WITH externals if you dont mind the extra load time and dont want to deal with individual lib files downloads if needed. I also recommend uninstall before updating, which deletes the directory structure of the addon you are updating, NOT the savedvariables or settings the addon has stored) which will make sure any directory or file structure changes will not conflict with older versions.

And as always, please be sure to back up your original Interface and WTF files before updating, as believe it or not its not 100% automated with its own AI to know exactly how you like your stuff, that way if something goes wrong, you can figure it out, and revert back to the original and apply the needed changes to make everything work when done.

On a side note, I ended up making my own UI to move away from the MazzleUI, its just easier to fix something you created when it breaks then to learn the thought process of someone elses creations

Last edited by fyrye : 03-29-08 at 05:04 PM.
03-29-08, 08:13 PM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by fyrye View Post
I also recommend uninstall before updating, which deletes the directory structure of the addon you are updating, NOT the savedvariables or settings the addon has stored) which will make sure any directory or file structure changes will not conflict with older versions.
This doesn't apply to all addons though. I manually update Skinner because I skin a lot of the addons I use. Like Rock... I copied RockConfig.lua from AddonSkins to SkinMe.... now it matches my UI. If I uninstall before I update, then I lose half of everything I skinned to match my entire UI.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How to update by using WAU