07-25-11, 10:43 PM   #1161
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I would take away at least one of those bars... Do you need them all shown? As an Arcane mage, how often do you use Fire Blast? Frostbolt? If you wish to have access to them, you could combine them with another button (but have them on a modifier or right-click).

Buffet can help condense food, potions, mana gems, bandages, and healthstones.

Clique is not just for healers! I use middle-click for Evocation. Shift-right click for poly and decurse. Shift-middle for Slow Fall. etc.

This is just my opinion, of course. I currently only have 7 buttons showing - all the rest is keybound or bound in Clique.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-25-11, 11:08 PM   #1162
Kendian
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ferous inspired, and very sexy, imo~ C&C welcome~
@ Vert, yep, is AI-Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Idle.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	6380  Click image for larger version

Name:	COmbat.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	6381  

07-25-11, 11:34 PM   #1163
Politig
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
@seerah

I actually use fire blast a lot more than the standard arcane mage...

I've considered hiding the entire top bar (its all cooldowns) and just getting something like rFilter3 to show cooldown remaining should i use them. The problem is I cant think of all of the hotkeys i would need @_@

I currently have unique hotkeys for polymorph, ice lance, CoC, fire blast, blizzard, flamestrike, counterspell, spellsteal, remove curse, and blink. any more and i think i would explode x_x

And my food/mana gem buttons are actually macros; right click to conjure, left click to use. My mount button is the same way (left click ground mount, right click flyer, middle click seahorse)

Last edited by Politig : 07-25-11 at 11:38 PM.

07-25-11, 11:52 PM   #1164
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I totally understand, Politig! I just kept adding more and more keybinds until I could handle that many. To make things simpler, I keep about the same functions per keybind for each of my characters. (Though my lvl 75 resto druid does not have an interrupt, and I keep accidentally innervating myself... )

I figured it was past time to show my current UI. I just realized that my chat frame needs to be tucked in the corner a few more pixels on my DK. Also that I have TidyThreat in different places for each...

Visible addons:
  • Stuf
  • Dominos
  • CoolLine
  • TidyThreat
  • TinyDPS
  • Cork
  • DockingStation
  • Fane
  • WeakAuras (for DK)
  • nibComboPoints (for Mage)
  • TidyPlates
  • oUF_Freeb and oUF_FreebGrid
  • rActionButtonStyler
  • BigRed (on mage... disabled on DK I guess)
  • DockingStation and plugins (very faint at top, fades in on mouseover)
  • And a bunch of my stuff...

Current font flavor of the month... Sheep Sans
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_072511_234621.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	6382  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_072511_235320.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	6383  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_072511_235950.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	6384  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_072611_000626.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	6385  

"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-26-11, 03:09 AM   #1165
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Kendian View Post
Ferous inspired, and very sexy, imo~ C&C welcome~
@ Vert, yep, is AI-Art
Have you ever through about getting a new screen some day?

Your UI would look alot better then but keep the work up man

@ Seerah

Cool UI, but yeah

07-26-11, 03:50 AM   #1166
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

@ Seerah: I'm not trying to knock it, but how are you able to stand having both the player and target unit frames off to the side? I've seen a few people doing it, and it does sort of look nice and simple in most of the UIs, but it just seems like it'd be more difficult to play like that than having them centered.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".

07-26-11, 04:51 AM   #1167
Tomine
A Fallenroot Satyr

Welp, finally got my dead computer back after being fixed by a friend - which took months. But, hey - it was cheaper than bringing it to a repair shop...

Needless to say, I lost everything and had to rebuild my UI. I decided to do something a bit different with the unitframes and would love some C&C. They look a bit "busy" to me, but I can't help but like it more than the large, long health frames I have been staring at for almost a year.

Name:	WoWScrnShot_072511_230606.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	6386

Also, I am in need of a chat-mod. And inspiration for chat... I can't seem to fix it to where I like it...

07-26-11, 07:30 AM   #1168
Dawn
A Molten Giant

They probably look "busy", because of that thin portrait row which you squeezed in there. If you want to spice your frames up with a portrait, either make it overlay hp with a low transparency or put it ontop of the health (left sided) up to about 1/3 of the hp's length.

You could move the map down right to have something balancing out the chat to the left. Possibly bring chat and map in line (height wise) with your unitframes, too.

There are a lot of good looking/clean chat mods around these days, for instance BasicChatMods.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

07-26-11, 11:04 AM   #1169
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by TMcMahon51 View Post
@ Seerah: I'm not trying to knock it, but how are you able to stand having both the player and target unit frames off to the side? I've seen a few people doing it, and it does sort of look nice and simple in most of the UIs, but it just seems like it'd be more difficult to play like that than having them centered.
I admit that it took me about a week to get used to it. You just need to retrain your eyes to look there instead of where they're used to looking. Remember, before you installed an addon for it, you were used to looking all the way up in the top left corner for that information.

07-26-11, 11:27 AM   #1170
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I admit that it took me about a week to get used to it. You just need to retrain your eyes to look there instead of where they're used to looking. Remember, before you installed an addon for it, you were used to looking all the way up in the top left corner for that information.
This is true. I used a layout with the player frame below-left and the target frame below-right of the centre for ages, until I switched to my current asymmetrical layout. Now I can't use anything else unless I retrain, but I'm fine with my current layout.

I've also noticed that no matter where you place your unit frames, it makes no difference in how long to look from your UI to the game world and back. Even when your frames are exactly in the middle, you won't be able to see what's going on while looking at them. Your eyes need to re-focus regardless, though you do save on some eye movement which might reduce strain.

What is most important, in my opinion, is that all of your important UI elements are placed together. Having the unitframes at the top and action bars with cooldowns at the bottom, like in the default UI, makes it almost impossible to get a good overview of everything.

07-26-11, 01:41 PM   #1171
sevti
An Aku'mai Servant
When I went for a "back to basics" UI, I really liked having player/target on one side and raid frames on the other as a healer. It just felt nicer to look to one side for the big long bars with all the buffs and debuffs, and on the other side for the compact raid frames bars. Plus, since I was using the default cast bar, I didn't have to worry about placing to avoid covering that up or anything.

Of course now I'm using ElvUI and my frames are in the "normal" healer positions, but it was refreshing for a while. If I go back to the default UI again that's definitely where the frames will go.

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
What is most important, in my opinion, is that all of your important UI elements are placed together. Having the unitframes at the top and action bars with cooldowns at the bottom, like in the default UI, makes it almost impossible to get a good overview of everything.
I strongly agree with this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mlhvlj.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	6387  Click image for larger version

Name:	33tsej8.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	6388  

07-26-11, 01:57 PM   #1172
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by TMcMahon51 View Post
No, no it isn't. It's incredibly easy and intuitive if you're the sort of person whose eyes linger in that part of the screen. It isn't just because it "looks nice". Your eyes move easier up-down than left-right.

07-26-11, 02:05 PM   #1173
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
I've also noticed that no matter where you place your unit frames, it makes no difference in how long to look from your UI to the game world and back. Even when your frames are exactly in the middle, you won't be able to see what's going on while looking at them. Your eyes need to re-focus regardless, though you do save on some eye movement which might reduce strain.
This has been my experience too. I think I've tried every x/y on the screen at one time or another for unit frames. For some reason I like the right side of my screen open... something psychological maybe as I tend to "pull" on the game world there with my cursor (while maneuvering).

I'm really liking the UF positions in FreeUI which I just started playing with (great UI btw!)...

Name:	WoWScrnShot_072411_231702.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	758.4 KB
ID:	6389

I'm also messing with a left side vertical UF layout which I'm liking the feel of so far (pardon the messy wipness):

Name:	WoWScrnShot_060911_224221.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	6390

07-26-11, 02:52 PM   #1174
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

Here is my UI atm

Here is my loot frame, that i've been playing all day long with

The Border that is red, is quest item

Last edited by Aftermathhqt : 07-26-11 at 02:59 PM.

07-26-11, 03:49 PM   #1175
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Your loot window is HUGE

07-26-11, 03:57 PM   #1176
Nefu
A Defias Bandit
Post Nefus UI

This is my UI addon any problems/hints?

Name:	WoWScrnShot_072611_133108.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	6391

07-26-11, 04:22 PM   #1177
Archer50
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Nefu View Post
This is my UI addon any problems/hints?
Attachment 6391
I would make your player/target frames smaller, the health part of it is pretty high, you could also stand to shave off a little bit on the width side too. Other than that it looks pretty good

07-26-11, 08:22 PM   #1178
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
Your loot window is HUGE
I'm assuming he did :SetAllPoints(LootFrame) with his backdrop. The LootFrame's dimensions are actually larger than its texture, children frames, and interactive area suggest.

07-26-11, 08:38 PM   #1179
Unkn
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Game92 View Post
Here is my UI atm
***snip****

Here is my loot frame, that i've been playing all day long with

***snip****
The Border that is red, is quest item

***snip****
Why don't you just make the border frames your normally use around the specific loot items, and forget about framing out the entire frame?
Similar to how Aurora or a few other loot addons do it?

07-26-11, 09:47 PM   #1180
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Unkn View Post
Why don't you just make the border frames your normally use around the specific loot items, and forget about framing out the entire frame?
Similar to how Aurora or a few other loot addons do it?
Basicly it just blizzards code, but my backdrops, my font sizes, etc, nothing more nothing else.

@ Nib. You can tell blizzard that since this loot frame is 100% based on blizzard's loot frame

Last edited by Aftermathhqt : 07-26-11 at 10:41 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » UI Feedback Thread