10-06-09, 02:02 PM   #1
Darktide
A Murloc Raider
Whats the Standard?

Hello All,

I have not played WoW in a loooong time, and not made a UI in even longer. I used to use discordart to make UI's. What is the flavor of the month these days, or are people writing their own XML? I am not much of a coder, so if there is anything around that functions similairly to discord art I would be pumped.

I just bought a new rig and I have no games to try out. I am dling a digitital copy of the game as I cant find my old disks. Lol, I cant install WoW without wanting to make a UI for myself.
10-06-09, 02:10 PM   #2
zero-kill
A Firelord

Are you wanting to create a unique looking UI or what?
10-06-09, 02:18 PM   #3
Darktide
A Murloc Raider
I want to create a unique looking skin. Not looking to code functions, but rather be able to remove the blizzard art, add my own, and re-arrange the positioning of the UI mechanics.
10-06-09, 02:53 PM   #4
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Discord Art was really an all-in-one package for anything and everything you'd ever want to do in regard to your UI's look and feel. There's nothing around nowadays that comes to mind as a replacement, but you can definitely do whatever you want with your UI through a number of separate addons.

Unfortunately I'm not really an expert on such addons, just chipping in to say that you'll get something together without problems.
10-06-09, 05:29 PM   #5
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
I'd have to say oUF's popularity is continuously growing, next to the ever staying PitBull. If you want to have DiscordUnitFrames functionality, try STUF. It doesn't, however, have profiles for unitframes.
Adding art to UnitFrames that you make in Photoshop can be done through means of SharedMedia/MyMedia.

And off course there is also kgPanels and the newer LitePanels, to add art to your viewport.

By the way, if you are the one I am thinking of, I loved your Class UI's and I was wondering if you will ever design art for mages, death-knights and shaman.

Last edited by ravagernl : 10-06-09 at 05:32 PM.
10-06-09, 06:20 PM   #6
Darktide
A Murloc Raider
Hey thanks for the info, I will check these out.

Yes, i am that guy, however those class ui's were some of my earlier stuff
10-06-09, 07:25 PM   #7
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Cool

Can't wait to see your idea's.
10-06-09, 07:26 PM   #8
convict70
A Murloc Raider
Hey Dark...nice to see you again ! !

For artwork I'd look at kgpanels. For unitframes I'd look at Stuf.
10-06-09, 07:41 PM   #9
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

And to create profiles where the addons may not offer them i suggest reflux. Its very very handy.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-06-09, 08:18 PM   #10
Sythalin
Curse staff

Self plug, but if you want precise positioning help you can try my rewrite of DFM.

CFM
10-07-09, 12:43 AM   #11
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Oh my, Darktide, there is a name I have not seen a while, both here and at the Discord forums (I occasionally drop by there to see if anything is going on). Nice to see you coming back.

Others have summed what the "standards" are. Discord is not much these days and is mostly a very small niche UI suite. I don't even know if it has been updated to 3.2.

For Unit Frames, I like both oUF and STUF. oUF because you can include only what you want (however if you are not a Lua geek, then don't bother), STUF for its ease of setup and customization options. STUF can be considered the spiritual successor to DUF. Pitbull is quite popular as well.

For Art, I like kgPanels. There are other mods that do similar however kgPanels is the one I have used and like

For moving UI elements that can't be moved on their own: CFM the spiritual successor to DFM.

For bar mods: Macaroon. It's quite flexible within the secure code system used by WoW. I skin Macaroon with ButtonFacade.

Last edited by Zyonin : 10-08-09 at 01:46 AM.
10-07-09, 01:11 PM   #12
Darktide
A Murloc Raider
Hey all,

Thanks for the info, definately looks like some good tools are out there. Seems things are also a little friendlier in-game and such. Now I need to install PS. lol

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Whats the Standard?