02-05-10, 06:32 AM   #1
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
To all addon users!

Please, for everyone's sake, use the bug report and feature request sections.

Why?
For addon authors it's a lot easier to use the feature request and bug report sections then reading trough all comments and writing down what bugs/features you have/want. For you it's easier to see what the author has to say about the bug/feature request and to track the changes made.

Where do I find the bug report and feature request secionts?
You can find them for every addon under the big download button. Look for these buttons:

How do I create a bug report?
Browse to the addon you want to report a bug for. Click on the "report bugs" image and you'll be taken to the bug report section(example). Click on "Submit a new Bug Report". Now you can start writing your bug report. Try to describe the problem as good as possible and maybe a way to reproduce the bug. If an error is shown, copy/paste that error! It might seem complete gibberish to you, but the addon author knows what to do with it. If you really want to help the author out, make a screenshot! Upload the image to (for example) TinyPic and link to the image.

How do I request a feature?
Browse to the addon you want to request a feature for. Click on the "request feature" image and you'll be taken to the feature request section(example). Click on "Submit a new Feature". Now you can start writing your feature request. Try to describe the feature as good as possible and if possible add a picture(for example an user interface layout made in paint). If you don't know how to upload a picture, see "How do I report a bug?".

Thank you.

Last edited by nightcracker : 02-05-10 at 06:36 AM.
02-05-10, 07:25 AM   #2
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

My question is: do ALL authors use these features? How would I know if the author of one of my mods uses them or just reads the comments? It would be nice if authors actually wrote where they want us to submit bugs and features requests somewhere in the addon description page. I know a lot of you authors do so, but some don't. As long as you tell me where to submit them, I will.
02-05-10, 07:50 AM   #3
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by haylie View Post
My question is: do ALL authors use these features?
No, I'm not sure but I think you will find those buttons activated when
the author has a portal and uses the bugtracker/feature req of it.

So if the buttons are there the author wants you to use them
02-05-10, 08:27 AM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Aye, in order to be able to use them, the author has to have enabled his/her portal in the first place. If they have enabled it, however, please do.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
02-05-10, 11:26 AM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yeah, I think I enabled mine once I hit about 6 addons to make things easier. But for now I just click on My Addons and see if anyone has made a comment and go from there. I have no problems with flexibility.

But on some of the bigger and more popular addons, trawling through several pages of comments for bugs and suggestions either by the author and other users to see if their problem/idea was already mentioned, it can be a bit tiresome.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
02-05-10, 11:31 AM   #6
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Yeah, I think I enabled mine once I hit about 6 addons to make things easier. But for now I just click on My Addons and see if anyone has made a comment and go from there. I have no problems with flexibility.

But on some of the bigger and more popular addons, trawling through several pages of comments for bugs and suggestions either by the author and other users to see if their problem/idea was already mentioned, it can be a bit tiresome.
On my UI ncUI I have 260 comments while it only has been about 6 months on WoWI. I don't like going trough them to find that one bug or feature request.
02-05-10, 11:39 AM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yeah, in your case I would definitely want the portal option used In my case I have so few comments made at all on them that it's easy for me to see what has been requested or commented on.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
02-05-10, 05:27 PM   #8
ArrchDK
A Fallenroot Satyr

Stupid question, but how do you enable the author portal? I looked nearly everywhere and can't find it.
02-05-10, 05:36 PM   #9
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Not a stupid question. I hid the link very well. I'll be fixing that but in in the mean time those that are flagged as authors will have the link shown in the below attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enable-portal.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	3954  

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » To all addon users!