Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
01-20-10, 04:12 PM   #1
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
RSS feeds on the Armory and privacy concerns.

Oh hai guys.

This is another one of those Bluspacecow!Bored posts. Otherwise known as incoming-wall-of-text-for-something-i'm-curious-about .

As you may or may not know the Armory now has RSS feeds on it. Wait. You didn't know this ? Go have a look now.

Any Armory page now RSS Feeds of what your toon has been doing. Everyone has them. Basic stuff like what gear you've obtained and what bosses you've done. Nothing that wasn't in the achievements but now it's right there on the right hand side of the page.

Here's my Druid I'm gearing up atm :

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-f...in&cn=Fuzzyelf

Yes I know. Fail gear is Fail. Note that if you click the orange RSS icon you get to make a custom feed you can throw into a RSS reader.

Now Blizzard have a Terms of Use agreement and a End User License thingy both that state they own all your toons and the information about them.

Here's the relevant sections of both agreement

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html
All rights and title in and to the Service (including without limitation any user accounts, titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialogue, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, "applets" incorporated into the Game Client, transcripts of the chat rooms, character profile information, recordings of games played using the Game Client, and the Game Client and server software) are owned by Blizzard or its licensors. The Game and the Service are protected by United States and international laws, and may contain certain licensed materials in which Blizzard's licensors may enforce their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/eula.html
A. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Game and all copies thereof (including without limitation any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, character inventories, structural or landscape designs, animations, sounds, musical compositions and recordings, audio-visual effects, storylines, character likenesses, methods of operation, moral rights, and any related documentation) are owned or licensed by Blizzard. The Game is protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international treaties and conventions, and other laws. The Game may contain materials licensed by third parties, and the licensors of those materials may enforce their rights in the event of any violation of this License Agreement.
I suppose my enquiry is :

Given the fact that Blizzard owns your characters and all information about them....

Can we really claim privacy concerns about the new RSS feeds on the Armory?

Do we have any right to complain ?

Can we force them to do anything about it ?

Is the ToU and EULA I've linked above legally binding ?

I mean everyone has to agree to both in order to play. You agree by scrolling down a document then clicking a button. The button does not become active until you've scrolled down the document fully implicitly implying you have indeed read it and are agreeing to it by clicking OK.

See IMHO we don't have a right to complain. Information about your toon is Blizzard's property according to 2 legal documents that we agree to for evey patch that comes out. We can complain about it and request that they change it but that's about all we can do. There's still privacy concerns there
but I don't think we can do much about it considering the Tou & EULA both of which we agree to before playing.

What are your guys thoughts ?

Please if you tell me I'm wrong please outline why I'm wrong with citations if possible
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 01-20-10 at 04:16 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » RSS feeds on the Armory and privacy concerns.