03-12-11, 08:49 PM   #1
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Good gaming mouse

I recently have been looking into getting a new mouse since my Razer Deathadder's scroll wheel just died completely. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a good gaming mouse that I should get (preferably not Razer). Thanks
03-12-11, 08:57 PM   #2
Ither
A Firelord

I have a Logitech G15 keyboard and a G9 Laser mouse. I absolutely LOVE Logitech products, and REALLY love their mouse. It's been fantastic in wow, does not have as many buttons as most Razor's, but it works for me.
03-12-11, 09:09 PM   #3
ShadowProwler420
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

My brother recently got a SteelSeries World of Warcraft®: Cataclysm™ MMO Gaming Mouse and raves about it, claiming it's vastly improved his gameplay (thanks to all the buttons/hotkeys)!

03-12-11, 09:28 PM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I use an mx518 from logitech. Never needed anything more. Currently using my 3rd one. My kids destroyed the other 2 hehe.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
03-12-11, 09:32 PM   #5
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
The Razer Naga is a nice MMO mouse.

03-13-11, 01:22 AM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have one of the original Logitech G15 keyboards, with a G5 Laser mouse. Best keyboard and mouse I've ever bought.

My roommate has one of those Razer mice. Can't say that I care much for it.... for my small hands, it doesn't feel natural.
03-13-11, 01:43 AM   #7
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I use a Nostromo n50 and a Logitech Trackman (well, an M570 now, but really I don't care if it's corded.)

If they made a cordless Nostromo, I'd be on it in a flash. Heck, if they made a Bluetooth trackball, I'd be on that, too.

-Crissa

Note: The M570 needed to be greased with graphite out of the box, which was kinda odd. But it works fine now.
03-13-11, 10:37 AM   #8
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I just bought a Cyborg R.A.T. 5 a few days ago. It's not as adjustable as the R.A.T. 7, or 9, but it's definitely one of the best I've ever used.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
03-13-11, 11:25 AM   #9
zoktar
A Cliff Giant
Logitech G700 + Logitech g19 keyboard, win win

(i have G500 but since g700 is its successor i cant see that it wouldnt be atleast as awsome)

Last edited by zoktar : 03-13-11 at 11:29 AM.
03-13-11, 11:49 AM   #10
hankthetank
A Theradrim Guardian
I can recommend my SteelSeries Xsai. I like the simplicity and configuration possibilities. You can switch profiles with a display on the bottom, no driver required. I have profiles for desktop work and gaming. On the downside it has only 4 extra buttons and you can't attach weights. I also heard the Roccat Kone+ is great.

Last edited by hankthetank : 03-19-11 at 09:26 PM.
03-13-11, 12:05 PM   #11
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Sharkoon Fireglider (I prefer the black edition). Extremly good value between price and features. Got my first one for only 22€, bought 2 more for my other PCs/Notebook afterwards.

You can change the weight, adjust speed, macro buttons, change the button type (for example you can invert button 4 and 5), etc. The macros and/or button changes are "uploaded" right into the mouse. That means you do it once and can plug it into any PC and it works just like programmed.

Anyway, any mouse with at least 5 buttons should do it, at least for WoW.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

03-13-11, 12:32 PM   #12
Ither
A Firelord

Originally Posted by zoktar View Post
Logitech G700 + Logitech g19 keyboard, win win

(i have G500 but since g700 is its successor i cant see that it wouldnt be atleast as awsome)
I'm liking that 700, what's the wireless response like? How does using the four buttons on the side feel?

My G5 has two on side and the two standard buttons up top. I use my sides with modifiers of CTRL and SHIFT.

Is it completely programmable in WOW as individual mouse buttons?
03-13-11, 01:05 PM   #13
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by StormCalai View Post
I'm liking that 700, what's the wireless response like? How does using the four buttons on the side feel?

My G5 has two on side and the two standard buttons up top. I use my sides with modifiers of CTRL and SHIFT.

Is it completely programmable in WOW as individual mouse buttons?
So far as I understand it, WoW recognizes and directly supports 5 button mice like the one you use currently. So setting them to functions within wow is no problem. Not sure beyond that or if any additional support was added. I know for things like the Naga and so on that you used a program much like the g15 profiler to set up the additional buttons.

Admittedly I haven't bothered to look up this info in ages so I could be completely wrong.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
03-13-11, 04:17 PM   #14
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

For mice buttons and special buttons on keyboards, WoW merely uses the list your OS came with. If you've changed that list, then it has problems - like with dpads and whatnot that the OS doesn't support.

I use ControllerMate on the Mac to translate unknown or unassigned buttons to functions that WoW understands.

-Crissa
03-13-11, 09:47 PM   #15
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Thanks for all the great suggestions, it seems like everyone likes Logitech lol.
03-14-11, 03:31 AM   #16
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I wouldn't say I like Logitech... But they were the geek's choice about twenty years ago and have kept putting out solid stuff, especially at the edge. They're less good for getting you the product you really like.

They've been pretty good at getting tech licensing deals, but while that means they make edge stuff (like Playstation high end things, the gaming keyboards and mice) they're less good at making sure they translate that into decent low-end products. They've been skating on the same controller in their standard mice for ten years now, for instance, and have been poor at bringing each year's new stuff to the main bench.

But they alway use good plastics and solid, well-tested products. So they have kept their name clean, whereas their big competition twenty years ago squandered name recognition for low-end profits.

For instance, Belkin came in big because of their direct-factory contacts and low prices, but they didn't parlay that into a name you can trust. Their products are iffy - make sure someone else used that line first, or you might be biting the bullet! - and their over-time support for their products is terrible. That said, they make many of the specialty products that make using PCs tolerable, and hence I have a half dozen of their various peripherals about, the Nostromo being not the strangest I've in my arsenal.

-Crissa
03-14-11, 05:50 AM   #17
SRCarebear
A Fallenroot Satyr
I've been using a Roccat Kova for over a year now and it's still working and feels as though I've just got it out the box.

I've used a number of Razer and Logitech mice before I bought this one but I'm happy to say that this is the best one I have used.

It's comfortable, it glides and it's a decent size. Not to mention it's pretty cheap and I haven't had one problem with it since purchase, which I can't say about any of the razer / logitech that I have had previously.

http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Mice/ROCCAT-Kova/

After looking at the roccat website it appears there's now a Kova[+]; so that might be worth a look at too.

edit after looking at the video for the kova[+] IT TALKS TO YOU!? what else would a geek want?

Last edited by SRCarebear : 03-14-11 at 05:54 AM.
03-14-11, 08:53 AM   #18
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

G19 Keyboard and Performance MX mouse have done me well. Had G15 keyboard before the G19, the color LCD is worth it in my opinion. About to replace my Performance MX with the G700. Ill let you know how it goes. Logitech ftw!

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-14-11, 11:04 AM   #19
Vlad
A Molten Giant

As long the mouse/keyboard runs on 2.4Ghz and not bluetooth you are safe tbh. I got a bluetooth cordless mouse from Logitech some years ago, was supposed to go from my Cordless Desktop MX mouse (first wireless, ran on Hz :P) and didn't notice the new one was bluetooth based, it went to sleep mode so definitely a work mouse and not gamer mouse.
Now on the other hand the G700 mouse is for gaming, runs on GHz bandwidth and has good responses. Also has a cable you can plug to charge and can play with the game plugged on too!

In short; GHz wireless works just fine. Bluetooth not so much.
03-14-11, 12:07 PM   #20
Othgar
"That" Guy

I've been using the Steel Series WoW mouse....not the cataclysm one the older one with 15 buttons (cata mouse has 14). It's great although some of the buttons are a little out of reach....I have big hands but stubby fingers. My keyboard is just a basic logitech backlit keyboard. I'm some where between a keybinder and a clicker, I do both depending on what toon I'm playing, so the flexibility of the extra mouse buttons is nice, and the somewhat compact design of the keyboard with the short strokes means my stubby a@@ fingers can reach all my keybinds

I doubt you really want to check it out but here's a link to a video with my gaming setup

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Good gaming mouse