09-09-12, 07:36 AM   #1
sigmer
A Murloc Raider
Post Addon Diagnostics [Addon Suggestion]

Hello Everyone .

I am not a coder my self, but I had this idea.

Addons keeps messing up (and who can live with out?) so I thought, would it be possible to make an "Addon Diagnostics" Addon that could scan for wich addons were causing troubles, ect. wich ones were in conflict?

It could work like this :

1).
All addons disabled, it auto enables them 1 by 1
(this addon could be helpful : Addon Control Panel )

2).
For each new addon enabled it checks for errors :
( these 2 addons could be helpful Bug-grabber and Bugsack ) if i understand correctly those 2 addons need to work together, so both might be needed.

3).
It makes a log entry for each conflict / bug found and looks at wich addons were installed when the error occurred.

4).
Now it pinpoints wich addon or addon configurations is causing errors and gives the player a suggestion to disable that specific addon.

09-09-12, 08:39 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It would be possible, but a lot of work for no real benefit. Not only would it not save you, as a user, a large amount of time, but it would only be useful right after a major patch when lots of addons were updated at once, and many addons can break at once. The rest of the time, there's nothing happening to suddenly break your existing addons, and you're usually only updating one or two addons at a time.

Also, there's usually no need to do the "disable and reload" dance to figure out which addon is causing a problem; its name is right there in the error message that pops up on your screen.

If you don't see an error message, install BugSack. The default error display can't show errors that occur while you're logging in, and since that's when most post-patch errors occur, it's basically useless.

If you still don't see an error message, or the error message doesn't include an addon name (for example, it might be an error in Blizzard code, but it's caused by an addon), here's a simple procedure that will greatly reduce the amout of time it takes to check all your addons:

(1) Enable all addons whose names start with A-L, and dislable all addons whose names start with M-Z.
(2) If the problem does not occur, log out, disable addons A-L, and enable addons M-Z.
(3) Once you find the half of your addons containing the problem, disable half of those.
(4) Continue disabling half of the enabled addons at a time, switching halves as needed, until you narrow it down to one addon.

Even if you use 200 addons, this doesn't take very long because you're ruling out large numbers of addons at once.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » MoP Beta archived threads » Addon Diagnostics [Addon Suggestion]