07-31-12, 01:51 AM   #1
Qupe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Foreign Characters in Chat Frame

I looked through beta threads and searched the Beta forum, but couldn't find out what I had to change/why Chinese characters (etc..) were being printed into chat without any formatting.

I apologize if I missed somewhere this was mentioned and/or how to remedy it.

This is essentially (ok, the same) version I use on live servers; aside from joining a beta group or seeing someone type into chat that uses foreign characters, I wasn't sure if there was anything I needed to update.

Code for current chat window attached. (if there's anything anyone notices that's upright redundant (I don't fully understand the channel substitutes) please feel free to mention what they are in dummy terms).

Pre-thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: lua bChat.lua (10.4 KB, 946 views)

Last edited by Qupe : 07-31-12 at 01:54 AM.

07-31-12, 04:27 AM   #2
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Qupe View Post
but couldn't find out what I had to change/why Chinese characters (etc..) were being printed into chat without any formatting
Do you mean e.g. chinese/foreign characters not being "properly formatted" or just being shown as plain question marks?

In case of the latter, you'd need to have a font that supports chinese characters

07-31-12, 05:38 AM   #3
Qupe

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
Do you mean e.g. chinese/foreign characters not being "properly formatted" or just being shown as plain question marks?

In case of the latter, you'd need to have a font that supports chinese characters
I didn't clarify well, but in the case of Chinese characters (which I think is all I've seen?) they come out with proper characters but they're completely unformatted (no font, outline, size, etc...).

I think I might not see some Cyrillic characters (which show up as "??????") but I definitely see the asian text in the window, but it's essentially 100% unformatted.

I'll try and get a screenshot, but if I've clarified what I actually meant enough, I think it should be somewhat obvious (if that sounded mean, I didn't mean it that way!).

07-31-12, 07:53 AM   #4
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Are any addons replacing fonts?

The thing is now in MoP you got 19 font files and not only the old 5 or 6. If you replace all fonts to one specific font then other non-latin languages will show up as "?" characters.

Code:
2002.ttf		2002 (Korean)
2002B.ttf		2002B (Korean)
ARHei.ttf		AR CrystalzcuheiGBK Demibold (Chinese)
ARIALN.TTF		Arial Narrow
ARKai_C.ttf		AR ZhongkaiGBK Medium (Chinese)
ARKai_T.ttf		AR ZhongkaiGBK Medium (Chinese)
bHEI00M.ttf		AR Heiti2 Medium B5 (Chinese)
bHEI01B.ttf		AR Heiti2 Bold B5 (Chinese)
bKAI00M.ttf		AR Kaiti Medium B5 (Chinese)
bLEI00D.ttf		AR Leisu Demi B5 (Chinese)
FRIZQT__.TTF		Friz Quadrata TT (Latin)
FRIZQT___CYR.TTF	FrizQuadrataCTT (Cyrilic)
K_Damage.TTF		YDIWingsM (Korean)
K_Pagetext.TTF		YDIMokM (Korean)
MORPHEUS.TTF		Morpheus (Latin)
MORPHEUS_CYR.TTF	Morpheus Cyr (Cyrilic)
NIM_____.ttf		Nimrod MT (Unsure for what purpose, has both Latin and Cyrilic)
SKURRI.TTF		Skurri (Latin)
SKURRI_CYR.TTF		Skurri Cyr (Cyrilic)
The file is 40MB zipped so couldn't upload here, thus I uploaded it on filebeam:
http://filebeam.com/2800653ff8e3eaf7c7866dffff92fbbe

In any case if it's not on topic at least it's now people know not to replace all the files above with one latin font, hehe.

07-31-12, 10:04 AM   #5
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

With the default font (atleast on beta), I can't see the names of people that's written in Russian.

07-31-12, 05:52 PM   #6
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Maybe they haven't yet fixed it so the nameplates use the correct font, maybe they have some font that covers all basic nameplate characters? Or maybe it's not yet added? Or maybe they plan to add some sort of API for this?

I hope they make an API, it could tell you what language a string is written in.

07-31-12, 07:30 PM   #7
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's not just the UI elements that has the issue, even the names above people's heads in the 3D world itself doesnt show.

07-31-12, 11:01 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Qupe View Post
... why Chinese characters (etc..) were being printed into chat without any formatting.
I believe this is a new "feature" to prevent people from seeing overlapping question marks in place of a message containing characters the chat font doesn't support. If a message contains any unsupported characters, the entire message is shown in a "default" font that includes those characters. See the attached file for an example screenshot.

Unfortunately, the font file that gets used is NOT any of the files in the Fonts folder, so you can't override it that way. At least, placing font files in a Fonts folder with the same names as all of the fonts in the Blizzard Fonts folder (listed in Vladinator's post above) has no effect -- messages with East Asian characters still appear in Friz Quadrata.

I looked through the Blizzard UI code some, and didn't find any code related to this "feature", so I'm not sure how it can be overridden at all, aside from writing your own chat frames from scratch.

It would be a lot less obnoxious if they only changed the font file, instead of also overwriting the size, outline, and shadow.

I tried logging into the game in Korean and Simplified Chinese to see how the user's locale affects this behavior, but was unable to do so... and since I can't read either of those languages, I don't know why, because I can't read the error message that pops up.

On a side note, this behavior does not seem to affect Russian characters; if you're using a custom font that doesn't support them, you'll still see question marks, and if your font does support them, you'll see them without any ugly font changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chatkozh.png
Views:	2590
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	7045  

Last edited by Phanx : 07-31-12 at 11:59 PM.

07-31-12, 11:25 PM   #9
Qupe

Well, that's pretty unfortunate.

Thanks a lot for the responses, nonetheless! Stinks mainly because there are a lot of Chinese/Korean/etc... speakers on my server which means I'm going to have to see that junk a lot =/

07-31-12, 11:29 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

BlockChinese

08-01-12, 08:30 AM   #11
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Changing to let's say, Korean, didn't really make any more files available in the MPQ's either, I hope they add something, if not I guess we'll have to make our own functions to figure out the bytes of the strings and guess the language. Who wants to write the function string.locale(...) -anyone? :P

08-01-12, 09:01 AM   #12
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Playing in MoP beta on the Korean server using enUS client, I have experienced proper Korean and Russian in chat. However, there are still issues displaying non-Latin names above the characters in the 3D world.

08-01-12, 09:58 AM   #13
Ennie
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
Changing to let's say, Korean, didn't really make any more files available in the MPQ's either, I hope they add something, if not I guess we'll have to make our own functions to figure out the bytes of the strings and guess the language. Who wants to write the function string.locale(...) -anyone? :P
However, i can't see Cyrillic names at character select screen before i set localization to ruRU. So looks like font files setup is locale-depended
Same for Battle.net names, but not chat -_-

08-01-12, 01:46 PM   #14
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Only thing I can recommend is mailing/posting on the US forums about this, to safe it for release. If not we just gotta hope they fix this for when they release the game.

08-30-12, 02:35 PM   #15
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
Code:
2002.ttf		2002 (Korean)
2002B.ttf		2002B (Korean)
ARHei.ttf		AR CrystalzcuheiGBK Demibold (Chinese)
ARIALN.TTF		Arial Narrow
ARKai_C.ttf		AR ZhongkaiGBK Medium (Chinese)
ARKai_T.ttf		AR ZhongkaiGBK Medium (Chinese)
bHEI00M.ttf		AR Heiti2 Medium B5 (Chinese)
bHEI01B.ttf		AR Heiti2 Bold B5 (Chinese)
bKAI00M.ttf		AR Kaiti Medium B5 (Chinese)
bLEI00D.ttf		AR Leisu Demi B5 (Chinese)
FRIZQT__.TTF		Friz Quadrata TT (Latin)
FRIZQT___CYR.TTF	FrizQuadrataCTT (Cyrilic)
K_Damage.TTF		YDIWingsM (Korean)
K_Pagetext.TTF		YDIMokM (Korean)
MORPHEUS.TTF		Morpheus (Latin)
MORPHEUS_CYR.TTF	Morpheus Cyr (Cyrilic)
NIM_____.ttf		Nimrod MT (Unsure for what purpose, has both Latin and Cyrilic)
SKURRI.TTF		Skurri (Latin)
SKURRI_CYR.TTF		Skurri Cyr (Cyrilic)
do you know which of those koren fonts is the equivalent of FRIZQT__.TTF?

Miiru

09-06-12, 12:44 AM   #16
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

should be 2002: http://wowprogramming.com/utils/xmlb...eOverrides.xml

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » MoP Beta archived threads » Foreign Characters in Chat Frame