12-04-11, 05:25 PM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Frame creation 'leak'

Hello,

A couple of users of my Aurora addon have reported an issue where in the Glyph UI/Reforging UI/character frame, an increasing number of invisible unnamed frames would spawn over time on these UI elements, eventually blocking out cursor interaction and leaving people unable to reforge or swap out their glyphs.

The thing is, there is no code in Aurora which could cause such an issue, considering the code in the Glyph and Reforging UI is ran only once and there are no loops or hooked functions, and several people who -don't- use Aurora seem to occasionally get it as well, but it's very hard to pinpoint.

Here's a screenshot someone took when they were blocked from reforging items, with the framestack tooltip showing in the bottom right corner:

I have absolutely no clue what could be causing this. Does anyone have an idea?
12-04-11, 06:00 PM   #2
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Why not try run only Aurora and see if this happens?...

You can't be sure if it's Aurora or not if you keep running many other addons together with it... it's going to be a wild goose-chase.
12-04-11, 06:42 PM   #3
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Well, it doesn't happen consistently, it also happens without Aurora according to some people.

I was hoping someone else might know more on this.
12-04-11, 07:25 PM   #4
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Has not happened to me at all, I use addons too you mind.

Sorry that I am no good help.
12-04-11, 08:45 PM   #5
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
yeah, i've had people complain about this with GnomeWorks. likely we both use lots of frames/children to organize our ui's so we're both being hit by it.

the problem, as best as i can tell, relates to the 128 frame level boundry. the way the ui works, frames with higher levels are "in front" of other frames. as frames jostle in the stack, they slowly creep up in frame level. the client will occasionally reshuffle the stack (can't remember exactly what forces this to happen). what appears to be happening is the reshuffle fails to order the child frames properly when crossing the 128 frame level boundry. you'll end up with children on lower frames than the parents and so they fail to pick up user interaction.

i've posted about this on the official forums but got nowhere.

your best bet is to try to detect the issue and force all your children frames to be the correct frame level by hand.
12-04-11, 09:02 PM   #6
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Maybe StrataFix can correct these problems.

I don't use your specific addons but it helped with other frames exhibiting the problem in my UI.
12-04-11, 09:37 PM   #7
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
Maybe StrataFix can correct these problems.

I don't use your specific addons but it helped with other frames exhibiting the problem in my UI.
yeah, that's the exact issue. i posted my problem a number of times in different forums (wowace, the official ui forum) but nobody could help or even point me to any kind of useful information. seeing this thread was the first time i'd seen anybody mention the same problem. wish i'd run across stratafix a year ago...
12-05-11, 02:18 AM   #8
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Thanks for that link! I'll check it out, sure sounds like the problems I've been having.

Edit: Damn, it works on a lot of stuff that Aurora uses, it looks quite messed up. Looks like I'll have to make a few changes.

Last edited by Haleth : 12-05-11 at 02:21 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Frame creation 'leak'