08-11-14, 06:43 AM   #1
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You can no longer scan the cache for NPCs

Using tooltip:SetHyperlink('unit:Creature:0:0:0:0:' .. npcID) or model:SetCreature(npcID) will now return valid data for units that the client has never seen before.

Calling either function will query the server and the client will cache the information when it becomes available.

This means you can display models or scrape tooltip text for NPCs you haven't seen, but it also means addons like NPCScan will no longer function.

08-11-14, 08:32 AM   #2
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Hmm....
So this would work now?

Lua Code:
  1. local m = CreateFrame("PlayerModel")
  2. m:SetModel("interface\\buttons\\talktomequestionmark.m2") --in case setdisplayinfo fails
  3. --http://www.wowhead.com/npc=16701
  4. m:SetCreature(16701)
  5. print(m:GetModel())

Old topic on model caching:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34898

Means we can create a model viewer by creature id now? That would be awesome.

Double dip for my model viewer.

I'm not sure if this will make it to the live server though. Sometimes they only activate stuff for testing on the PTR.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 08-11-14 at 08:40 AM.

08-11-14, 03:22 PM   #3
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by zork View Post
<snip>
I'm not sure if this will make it to the live server though. Sometimes they only activate stuff for testing on the PTR.
I spoke with one of the server devs last BlizzCon, and he told me they've been wanting to kill NPCScan for years now.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

08-11-14, 03:41 PM   #4
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
I spoke with one of the server devs last BlizzCon, and he told me they've been wanting to kill NPCScan for years now.
Wow, what a rude mofos.

I mean what the hell is their problem with it?

08-11-14, 04:03 PM   #5
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Resike View Post
Wow, what a rude mofos.

I mean what the hell is their problem with it?
Their game, they can do whatever they want.

In any case, NPCScan is really hacky, taking advantage of the way clients and servers communicate, although it was not giving anyone an advantage in PvE or PvP, that's probably why it's been left alone for so long.

08-11-14, 06:12 PM   #6
MysticalOS
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

don't need cache anymore IF blizzard fixes this

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9972357544

Vignettes are better, but only work for about a couple hours after a reboot before they are completely USELESS. I haven't done enough testing in beta to determine if fixed there. those servers reboot so often that it'd be hard to ID the bug there since they are much lower pop which means it may take a couple days before vignette IDs become too high, and by that time servers have probably rebooted, so no way to know if they fixed the IDs going out of bounds yet.

08-11-14, 07:08 PM   #7
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They fixed vignettes, but they don't exist for anything before Mists of Pandaria.

Vignettes have their own issues, particularly the fact that a substantial number of them have names that don't match the mob names, meaning you can't rely on them to create a targeting macro or match them to an NPC ID without a substantial amount of work.

They intentionally left the NPC ID out of vignette GUIDs, so I don't know how inclined they'd be to making it easier on us.

Last edited by semlar : 08-11-14 at 07:12 PM.

08-11-14, 08:01 PM   #8
TOM_RUS
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
They intentionally left the NPC ID out of vignette GUIDs, so I don't know how inclined they'd be to making it easier on us.
Vignettes have no NPC id, but they do have unique vignette id that isn't exposed through the api. They could have exposed it by adding one single line of code, but they didn't. Question is why?

08-14-14, 07:52 AM   #9
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Their game, they can do whatever they want.

In any case, NPCScan is really hacky, taking advantage of the way clients and servers communicate, although it was not giving anyone an advantage in PvE or PvP, that's probably why it's been left alone for so long.
Well it's two different thing fixing their horrible cache method, or wanting to kill a specific addon.

08-14-14, 02:37 PM   #10
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Resike View Post
Well it's two different thing fixing their horrible cache method, or wanting to kill a specific addon.
These things are not exactly mutually exclusive. Perhaps Blizzard thought of it as a "twofer" type situation.

I do love that we're trying to solve button bloat, but then breaking the functionality of an addon that helps prevent some button bloat (by way of not needing a ton of /target macros) (not to mention the other things, like removing the hunter aspect bar, making hunters have to pull out more buttons... but that one is neither here, nor there).

If they didn't really intend to break the functionality, they'll provide some other method (though the lack of visible vignette ids would likely indicate they have no desire to do so).

Speaking of vignettes... I wonder if they'll ever have time to add them for rares from previous expansions?

08-14-14, 03:18 PM   #11
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by Nynaeve View Post
These things are not exactly mutually exclusive. Perhaps Blizzard thought of it as a "twofer" type situation.

I do love that we're trying to solve button bloat, but then breaking the functionality of an addon that helps prevent some button bloat (by way of not needing a ton of /target macros) (not to mention the other things, like removing the hunter aspect bar, making hunters have to pull out more buttons... but that one is neither here, nor there).

If they didn't really intend to break the functionality, they'll provide some other method (though the lack of visible vignette ids would likely indicate they have no desire to do so).

Speaking of vignettes... I wonder if they'll ever have time to add them for rares from previous expansions?
Well, they seems to lose way too more player then gaining by modifying stuff which was in the game for years.
About this button bloat stuff i did not managed to fill 2 action bars in the beta with all of my skills as a warrior which is ridiculous even if you consider that warrior is probably has the most spells ingame.

10-07-14, 03:29 PM   #12
kasca
A Frostmaul Preserver
So they want us to do achev but there makeing almost imposable to do it. Bliz is so fucked up.

10-07-14, 07:50 PM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

It's not impossible at all, or even difficult. You'll just have to do what you did before cache scanning -- fly around with a /target macro. SilverDragon even provides you with one that auto-updates depending on your location.

10-08-14, 05:29 AM   #14
Vlad
A Molten Giant

To be fair, as long the minimap shows a skull, it's going to be more than enough for the average gamer.

So I hope they add skull icons to all rares and problem solved!

10-08-14, 10:41 AM   #15
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
So I hope they add skull icons to all rares and problem solved!
Only if Blizzard perceive it to be a problem in the first place.

10-11-14, 03:36 PM   #16
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I hope someone is going to maintain the SilverDragon project because at the moment in the beta it just freezes the game for 1 sec for every and all mobs you targeting after added some new IDs. Quite frustrating, had to turn it off at short notice.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » WoD Beta archived threads » You can no longer scan the cache for NPCs