02-03-10, 03:40 PM   #1
Amenity
HOW-TO: Custom mouse cursors

This is not allowed, per my conversation with Blizzard. Details are posted here. As such, I've removed the information on how to do it. ~ Cairenn

Last edited by Cairenn : 02-24-10 at 03:18 PM. Reason: self-evident ~ Cairenn

02-04-10, 12:51 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
WARNING!

This How-To is bordering on ToS violation territory if not aright violating the WoW ToS..

Blizzard historically had not taken kindly to MPQ hacks of any kind whether it be modifying the existing mpq or adding new "patch" mpqs. These types of changes are picked by Warden and likely will result in your account being flagged.

You may want to take down this How-To until you can verify the legality of what you are doing.

02-04-10, 01:18 AM   #3
Amenity
Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
WARNING!

This How-To is bordering on ToS violation territory if not aright violating the WoW ToS..

Blizzard historically had not taken kindly to MPQ hacks of any kind whether it be modifying the existing mpq or adding new "patch" mpqs. These types of changes are picked by Warden and likely will result in your account being flagged.

You may want to take down this How-To until you can verify the legality of what you are doing.
Alright, I've done so for now (EDIT: It's back up now)...now explain this. I have not once seen anything about adding files being against ToS (unless of course, the obvious cross-faction communication or game automation etc).

Also, I really dislike how you've alluded to this being a "hack". It's not. All this is doing is adding a file that says "Hey WoW, instead of using your own file how about you use this one?" (EDIT: Actually it doesn't even do that. It just exists. WoW is choosing to use it.) In fact, it's really no different than this:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...rrorsound.html

The only thing that's different is that this file is a .MPQ, and that one is an audio file. NO BLIZZARD FILES ARE BEING ALTERED IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.

So perhaps before you villainize someone you should back up your claims with some solid evidence? Innocent until proven guilty...the burden of proof lies on you, not me.

Last edited by Amenity : 02-04-10 at 01:09 PM.

02-04-10, 01:36 AM   #4
Amenity
Actually...I'll take ya one further.

WoW TOS, Section #2:

2. Additional License Limitations. The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the “License Limitations”). Any use of the Service or the Game Client in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

A. use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the World of Warcraft experience;

B. exploit the Game or any of its parts, including without limitation the Service, for any commercial purpose, including without limitation (a) use at a cyber cafe, computer gaming center or any other location-based site without the express written consent of Blizzard; (b) for gathering in-game currency, items or resources for sale outside the Game; or (c) performing in-game services in exchange for payment outside the Game, e.g., power-leveling;

C. use any unauthorized third-party software that intercepts, "mines", or otherwise collects information from or through the Game or the Service, including without limitation any software that reads areas of RAM used by the Game to store information about a character or the game environment; provided, however, that Blizzard may, at its sole and absolute discretion, allow the use of certain third party user interfaces;

D. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;

E. host, provide or develop matchmaking services for the Game or the Service, or intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard in any way, for any purpose, including without limitation unauthorized play over the internet, network play, or as part of content aggregation networks;

F. facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation (a) any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service; and (b) any connection using programs or tools not expressly approved by Blizzard; or

G. disrupt or assist in the disruption of (i) any computer used to support the Service (each a "Server"); or (ii) any other player's Game experience. ANY ATTEMPT BY YOU TO DISRUPT THE SERVICE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE GAME CLIENT MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. You agree that you will not violate any applicable law or regulation in connection with your use of the Game Client or the Service.
None of this in any way applies to this. I am not modifying, removing, copying, or otherwise messing with the WoW client or anything contained within it in any way. I'm not even using anything they've created. Everything in this how-to is user-created with 3rd-party tools, and all it is are some .BLPs in an archive.

Also (Section #17, subsection A):

AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE THAT, WHEN USED SIMULTANEOUSLY OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE GAME, WOULD CONSTITUTE A VIOLATION OF SECTIONS 1, 2 OR 9.
Section #2 we just covered. Section #9 deals with how you conduct yourself in-game with others (The Code of Conduct), and Section #1 is the usual "you may only use for noncommercial purposes" clause. Also, I need to point out that this isn't a program. It's not like an addon..it's just raster graphics.

I've been known to be wrong on occasion, and in the event I am here I will admit it. It's not looking like I am, though.

02-04-10, 01:55 AM   #5
Saiket
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

This technique of overriding (not just adding) files is how model edits work. Model edits are very much hacks, and are often used to modify in-game geometry or other off-limits data. No one is accusing the cursor graphics of being hacks, but I wouldn't trust Blizzard's anti-cheat program to be as smart as you or I. It may simply see the extra MPQ and assume the worst. That's where all this caution comes from.

Granted, real model edits are locked down much tighter by Blizzard and require a lot more effort to get working. The fact that this cursor patch file works without any extra effort almost convinces me that it's safe. It's still a big risk to assume how Blizzard's anti-cheat works though.

The only 100% safe thing to do is put a suggestion in on Blizzard's forums. Ask for a GetCursor API to return the current cursor graphic, and mods will be able to replace cursors easily.

02-04-10, 02:11 AM   #6
Amenity
Originally Posted by Saiket View Post
This technique of overriding (not just adding) files is how model edits work. Model edits are very much hacks, and are often used to modify in-game geometry or other off-limits data. No one is accusing the cursor graphics of being hacks, but I wouldn't trust Blizzard's anti-cheat program to be as smart as you or I. It may simply see the extra MPQ and assume the worst. That's where all this caution comes from.
Ok, this argument I can understand. Sort of. You kinda argue against yourself here:
Granted, real model edits are locked down much tighter by Blizzard and require a lot more effort to get working. The fact that this cursor patch file works without any extra effort almost convinces me that it's safe. It's still a big risk to assume how Blizzard's anti-cheat works though.
Exactly. It's Blizzard's own work that's causing their own cursors to be overridden by ones I put in an additional file. By comparison, addons do this intentionally all the time with no ill will.

The only 100% safe thing to do is put a suggestion in on Blizzard's forums. Ask for a GetCursor API to return the current cursor graphic, and mods will be able to replace cursors easily.
True, that is the only way to be 100% safe. It's also the way to be 100% ignored, just like everyone else who posts in there. Call me dangerous, but I can live with being 99% safe.

And Zyonin...did you even read the initial post? Or for that matter, ANYTHING I've posted in this thread? You're still spouting the same crap with nothing to back it up. HOW is this a "ToS 'grey area'"? WHO said so? WHERE in the legal documents does it state as much? WHEN has something like this (where NO BLIZZARD STUFF IS BEING TOUCHED) ever led to any action whatsoever?

To be honest, it looks like you took one glance a the top of the first post, saw "MPQ Editor", and immediately flew into action.

02-04-10, 01:55 AM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Amenity View Post
Actually...I'll take ya one further.

WoW TOS, Section #2:

None of this in any way applies to this. I am not modifying, removing, copying, or otherwise messing with the WoW client or anything contained within it in any way. I'm not even using anything they've created. Everything in this how-to is user-created with 3rd-party tools, and all it is are some .BLPs in an archive.
Folks who alter their character's models can argue the same thing, yet Blizzard has cracked down on them. Players should not be messing with anything in the Data folder as at best, it's a ToS violation grey area. I have been around the WoW community almost from the very start and I have seen Blizzard go after people who mess with the game's files (even just "adding to them"). The only legitimate files that we the players can mess with are those in the Interface, WTF, and Fonts folders. However the Data folder is a ToS minefield.

I am sorry if you feel that I reacted too strongly however I have seen these things come and go usually with Blizzard snapping at their heels. Blizzard is very protective of all aspects of their games. In the case of WoW, that goes for the mpq files. I do not want to see people getting one shotted by the Banhammer because they used an innocent change to something like their mouse cursor.

We do not know what Warden (the anti-cheat program) picks up on, however from what I have seen, it generates a hash based on what it finds and then compares it to what it expects to find. Additional mpq files will alter that hash (thus the comparison is not what Warden expects to find) and thus your account will be flagged. Whether or not and how Blizzard decides to act on the flagged account is up to them.

As the previous poster stated, the safest way is to get in contact with Blizzard and ask for a legitimate way of changing the cursor such as the OP's idea of a GetCursor API for mods to hook into.

If you are ever in doubt on whether or not something is kosher to post here on WoWI (such as your guide), email the WoWI staff. They don't bite (that I know of).

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-04-10 at 02:02 AM.

02-10-10, 03:29 PM   #8
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Amenity View Post
Alright, I've done so for now Also, I really dislike how you've alluded to this being a "hack". It's not. All this is doing is adding a file that says "Hey WoW, instead of using your own file how about you use this one?" (EDIT: Actually it doesn't even do that. It just exists. WoW is choosing to use it.) In fact, it's really no different than this:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...rrorsound.html

The only thing that's different is that this file is a .MPQ, and that one is an audio file. NO BLIZZARD FILES ARE BEING ALTERED IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.
I really should be in bed right now but I care too damn much not to answer.

Not sure if anyone's seen this but have a look at this thread folks :

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...02301679&sid=1
7/15/2009 Music Distribution through UI Add-Ons

We have recently seen a number of User Interface Add-Ons that are making modifications to the World of Warcraft in-game music files and wanted to take a moment to go over some important points with the community in connection with this. While we are currently allowing Add-Ons that remove or replace existing sound files, keep in mind that it is illegal to distribute copyrighted materials, in this case in-game music and audio files, without authorization. One of the primary goals of the user interface is to allow players to customize their game experience and we hope to avoid making any modifications in the future that will prevent this.
IE They are specifically allowing sound modifications that work by recreating the file path in the Data folder.

That's Bornakk one of the CM so he liaisons with the developers as referenced in :

http://www.wowwiki.com/CM

EDIT : Just to clarify as Amenity seems to have made a post glorifying that she was right :

Amenity all this means is SOUND modifications via placing sound files in the Data folder are okay by Blizzard.

It does not mean that Cursors placed in the Data folder to over ride the default cursor is okay by Blizzard and it certainly does not mean that directly editing the MPQ files is okay because of this reference.

The post was specifically made as there were a number of posts debating wheter Sound mods that go in the Data folder were okay and that post was in relation to them.

Amenity I like you as a person and loves your posts you make on any forums but please don't use this post or my name to imply something that simply is not true.

This is not me being "cliquey" or "sticking up for my mates". This is me correcting what you've attributed to me on your webpage.

Why you gotta be such a hater
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 02-12-10 at 12:08 AM.

02-24-10, 03:16 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I've talked to Blizzard about this and they have said that MPQs are part of their proprietary software and as such are not to be altered or "faked" in any way (including creating your own "new" ones). They fall under the following sections of the EULA and ToU:

From the EULA:
Last Updated July 29, 2008
WORLD OF WARCRAFT®
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

< snip >

2. Additional License Limitations.
The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the "License Limitations"). Any use of the Game in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard's copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

E. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;
From the ToU:
WORLD OF WARCRAFT®
TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT
Last Updated July 29, 2008

< snip >

2. Additional License Limitations.
The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the "License Limitations"). Any use of the Service or the Game Client in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

D. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » HOW-TO: Custom mouse cursors