10-15-14, 11:57 PM   #1
Mars85
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Java/Installer

Hi,

I see Minion has >40 MB download size. I remember from the past reading that Minion install its own Java environment - an idea which I don't like, considering that such gets outdated easily and it's enough hassle to keep the official/normal installation up2date.

So: If Java is already installed, will Minion install just itself - without Java duplicates - into its installation folder, or will it install other components, a second Java (or components of it), (permanently running) other processes - database server or something like that - or something else outside of the installation folder?
10-16-14, 10:39 AM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Minion doesn't really install a second version of java on your machine. It just includes the needed java binaries, etc in the Minion install directory to run inside the Java Virtual Machine we use to launch Minion. So its basically a version of Java that Minion can only use inside its sandbox (JVM).

We may look into just releasing a jar download that uses your installed version of java. You could install Minion and just run the Minion-jfx.jar your self too but it could very well crash as its not yet compatible with java8 (we are currently working on that and have a development version that kinda works right now hehe).
10-22-14, 04:04 AM   #3
Fleety
A Murloc Raider

Thumbs up

Can I suggest you look at this as it *may* be the solution for us Linuxers. You probably don't want to extend us formal support, but one of the great things about the old minion was that it could run on our platform too. You make the .jar available and we'll look at getting it working and trying to help other Linuxers here.

Curse Client is written in .NET which makes the chances of getting it running on Linux remote even impossible, which is why I hung onto Minion for so long after it wasn't supported anymore.

Very pleased to see a new version and relieved it's java based (fingers crossed for some cross-platform action).

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Java/Installer