12-27-14, 02:43 PM   #1
ribeirobreno
A Murloc Raider
Post My 2 cents

I'm trying to ditch curse and keep only minion here but these are bugging me:

- The search feature is too slow. I can understand slow for the "Find More" tab but not for the "Installed" tab.
--> A workaround is to type the whole word outside minion and copy it into the search box. It is still slow but bearable.
--> A suggestion: do not go online for the "Installed" tab if this is the case. If this is not the case or if it is needed, add a small (or bigger if there is already one) delay before the search starts.
--> Another suggestion: add an option to not search while we type. Requiring to type "enter" or to click a button.

- My own addons can't be seen on the list (those i made for myself and am not going to publish for now).
--> It would be useful to have them listed even with a tag stating that they are not available from Minion sites.

- Absence of manual refresh for the addons list
--> Also allow to turn off the hourly poll.
--> Allow to set the poll interval. Once or twice a day is perfectly fine for some of us.

- Automatic update setting per addon.
--> Some addons i get from github.
--> Those who publish their addons already have the most updated version of their addons: have other addons auto-updating while having theirs with auto-update turned off.
--> Those with multiple updaters can check the auto-update for addons not available in the other website or that they know is updated here first. And turn it off for others.

- I only have WoW here, can the "my games" panel can be removed? It gets too much screen space for nothing...
12-28-14, 12:48 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ribeirobreno View Post
The search feature is too slow. I can understand slow for the "Find More" tab but not for the "Installed" tab.
It shouldn't be slow for either tab. Searching in the Curse Client is perfectly fast and responsive; when you're searching in the "Find More" tab (well, it's called something else in the Curse Client) it's not actually sending your query to a remote server and waiting for a response, it's searching on locally stored data it already downloaded when you first clicked over to that tab. I'm pretty sure Minion is also searching locally, it's just slow for some other reason. It's actually slower (for me, at least) when searching installed addons than when searching other addons, even though the list of installed addons is much, much smaller.

Automatic update setting per addon.
This already exists in Minion. Right-click on an addon and check the "ignore updates" option.
12-28-14, 10:21 AM   #3
ribeirobreno
A Murloc Raider
About the search feature i agree, neither tab should be slow.
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
This already exists in Minion. Right-click on an addon and check the "ignore updates" option.
I don't want to ignore updates. Just keep them from happening automatically.

My bad, i wasn't very clear about what i meant. To clarify a bit:

Ignore > i don't even care about updating from minion and the client shouldn't even check for them. This exists per addon and it's fine.
Manual update > i may or may not update from minion and the client should check for updates and warn me about it but not install them. This only exists for the whole list, not per addon.
12-29-14, 09:12 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ignore > i don't even care about updating from minion and the client shouldn't even check for them. This exists per addon and it's fine.
Manual update > i may or may not update from minion and the client should check for updates and warn me about it but not install them. This only exists for the whole list, not per addon.
Ah, okay, that's pretty much how it works in the Curse Client. Ignored means "never update this addon automatically or when I click the update all button" but you can still see the installed vs latest versions next to it and update it manually if you want. You can also toggle automatic updates for individual addons to overwrite your global preference.

Personally I only use the ignore function for addons that are either (a) mis-identified, usually because the correct addon isn't on Curse at all, or (b) heavily modified from the official version, usually because the addon has been abandoned for years. In either case, I don't anticipate ever seeing any updates for those addons.

I don't use the automatic update feature at all, partly because if something starts acting weird after an addon update I'll have a pretty good idea why, and also because I just like to know what's being done. But for those who do use it, I don't think there'll really be any reason to turn it off for specific addons once the present bugs with version detection are fixed -- the automatic update should only update when the new version is unambiguously an update (eg. 5.1 is obviously newer than 4.8, and 60000.32 is obviously newer than 50400.99, and if both versions are on WoWI then it can see the date they were uploaded and compare that as well) and leave anything else for a manual update.

Last edited by Phanx : 12-29-14 at 09:15 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » My 2 cents