08-17-11, 12:20 AM   #1
Hulikner
A Murloc Raider
Mac problems

Hey guys.
I have been playing wow for a month and I have an issue I cant fix.
I have a MacBook pro and when I play by my self I have no problems at all.
When my brother gets on and we are playing together, I lag so bad in combat it's unplayable. But the thing is, he never ever gets lag. I know I'm new to wow so I figured that I may be missing something.

I've tried what WoW GMs suggest of deleting certain folders and running repair. No luck. Also, I have 0 addons.

Please help.

Btw my brother has a new windows computer and I have the new MacBook pro. We have recently bought a new router also. I don't know the computer specs off the top of my head but I don't think that will matter anyways. Seems to be a Mac issue.

Thanks

Last edited by Hulikner : 08-17-11 at 12:23 AM.
08-17-11, 02:41 AM   #2
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
That's most likely not a Mac problem, but you simply have too low bandwidth to accommodate two people using high-volume internet at the same time. Have you tried it with, for example, YouTube HD? You could also go to www.speedtest.net and compare the results of times when you're alone and when your brother is also on the internet.

You might also want to try simply resetting your router.

Last edited by Haleth : 08-17-11 at 03:34 AM.
08-17-11, 03:19 AM   #3
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hmm, seems a difference between the two probably exists, but yeah, may not be a Mac issue. Could be hardware, software, router, network settings, conflict issue, etc.

Bandwidth may be a part of the problem, but you'd have to have pretty bad internet (56k modem quality) to get affected that heavily by just another person playing WoW. Speedtest as mentioned will be a good test.

Is your brother playing WoW the only activity which causes your latency to increase? Does he use the internet for other things? If so, how do those activities affect your gameplay? Are you both using wireless? Only one of you uses wireless? Bah, too many questions to ask
08-17-11, 08:37 AM   #4
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I have the same issues with my iMac (it's the previous "generation" with a radeon 5xxx) and a Windows PC using the wireless internet connection at the same time. The Windows PC is fine, most of the time, while the mac just disconnects again and again. The fun fact is, when the mac runs Windows XP (via bootcamp), it still happens to the mac. I assume they have either some poor wireless device built in and/or some driver issues.

Then again I'm on a damn old G router, it might be that it can't handle to many devices connected at the same time via wireless at once. My connection is 32.000 kbit/s down 2.000 up, for real (if I plug in the cable, not via wireless obviously). That should be way enough, too

Anyway, if you have a new router, it's unlikely to be the connection itself, since I assume it can handle several devices better than old routers do.

Which leaves me with blaming the wireless device in macs

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

08-17-11, 03:55 PM   #5
Hulikner
A Murloc Raider
Hey I tried a few suggestions.

I went to speedtest.net and took both laptops with me and put them right beside our home desktop thats hardwired.

0 Laptops on: 3.45mbps DL speed, 2.12 Upload speed
1 Laptop on: same
2 laptops on: same

I then reset the router

0 laptops on: 23.55 DL speed, 2.12 Upload speed.
1 laptop: 21.12, 2.08
2 laptops: 18.71, 2.02

Im thinking that if i just reset the router every now and then it'll be alright? I reset the router and modem. The router is new. Modem is like 6 years old lol.
Which one would it most likely be?

Thank you,
Hulikner
08-17-11, 05:01 PM   #6
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Resetting it once should've done the trick and cleared out whatever problem you might've had. If it happens again, I would contact your router's manufacturer (the router does seem to be the problem here).

P.S. If you have the opportunity to use an Ethernet cable, then do so. It'll always be much more reliable, and faster, than wireless.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Mac problems