09-12-11, 12:33 PM   #1
semi-
A Defias Bandit
How do you test Boss frames?

I'm trying to work on my boss frames but it seems like my only options are to edit it between pulls mid-raid, or just zone into stonecore normal on my paladin and solo the first boss and reset it. Neither of these options are really convenient.

Is there any way to trigger a dummy boss frame to spawn, preferably with debuffs/buffs/casting? Maybe just cloning myself as a boss? Or a really easy nearby instance(stockades maybe?)

How do you guys test your boss frames while working on them?
09-12-11, 12:53 PM   #2
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
I did the initial work by just spawning them as player frames. The main testing I did by going to SFK/DM tho'.
09-12-11, 01:19 PM   #3
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
LUA Code:
  1. -- Only for testing.
  3. SlashCmdList["TESTARENA"] = function()
  4.     oUF_AftermathhArena1:Show(); oUF_AftermathhArena1.Hide = function() end oUF_AftermathhArena1.unit = "player"
  5.     oUF_AftermathhArena2:Show(); oUF_AftermathhArena2.Hide = function() end oUF_AftermathhArena2.unit = "player"
  6.     oUF_AftermathhArena3:Show(); oUF_AftermathhArena3.Hide = function() end oUF_AftermathhArena3.unit = "player"
  7.     oUF_AftermathhArena4:Show(); oUF_AftermathhArena4.Hide = function() end oUF_AftermathhArena4.unit = "player"
  8.     oUF_AftermathhArena5:Show(); oUF_AftermathhArena5.Hide = function() end oUF_AftermathhArena5.unit = "player"
  9. end
  10. SLASH_TESTARENA1 = "/TestArena"
  12. --
  14. -- -- Only for testing.
  16. SlashCmdList["TESTBOSS"] = function()
  17.     oUF_AftermathhBoss1:Show(); oUF_AftermathhBoss1.Hide = function() end oUF_AftermathhBoss1.unit = "player"
  18.     oUF_AftermathhBoss2:Show(); oUF_AftermathhBoss2.Hide = function() end oUF_AftermathhBoss2.unit = "player"
  19.     oUF_AftermathhBoss3:Show(); oUF_AftermathhBoss3.Hide = function() end oUF_AftermathhBoss3.unit = "player"
  20.     oUF_AftermathhBoss4:Show(); oUF_AftermathhBoss4.Hide = function() end oUF_AftermathhBoss4.unit = "player"
  21. end
  22. SLASH_TESTBOSS1 = "/TestBoss"
  24. --
09-12-11, 01:21 PM   #4
semi-
A Defias Bandit
Thanks guys. I think I'll add that /command for now, then once I get it looking right I'll head to DM for a more 'real' test.
09-22-11, 02:03 AM   #5
Firedancer
An Aku'mai Servant

Is there a similar method for spawning raid/party test frames without going to a dungeon/BG?
09-22-11, 05:04 AM   #6
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

Yes, you can use this for boss/arena/player/focus/tot/party

tried raid, but it didn't work out for me.

Last edited by Aftermathhqt : 09-22-11 at 06:01 AM.
09-25-11, 08:58 AM   #7
Buddie
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Firedancer View Post
Is there a similar method for spawning raid/party test frames without going to a dungeon/BG?
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...652#post168652

While we're on this subject a way to fake some auras would be nice

Last edited by Buddie : 09-25-11 at 09:01 AM.
11-14-11, 04:52 PM   #8
Lysiander
An Aku'mai Servant
In case this still interests you. You can fake auras by replacing the following line in the oUF/elements/aura.lua:

Line 89: local name, rank, texture, count, dtype, duration, timeLeft, caster, isStealable, shouldConsolidate, spellID, canApplyAura, isBossDebuff = UnitAura(unit, index, filter)

with:

local name, rank, texture = GetSpellInfo(702)
local count = 3
local dtype = Poison
local duration = 60
local timeLeft = 20
local caster = nil
local isStealable = nil
local shouldConsolidate = nil
local spellID = 702
local canApplyAura = nil
local isBossDebuff = nil

Feel free to use a different spellID. Just comment the original line and uncomment it, comment the new ones when your done testing. This works mainly for positioning and stuff, but also shows timer positions and debuff type settings.
11-14-11, 06:51 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

For debugging purposes, I would suggest condensing that into a single line of code so that the line numbers afterward match the original line numbers:

Code:
local count, dtype, duration, timeLeft, caster, isStealable, shouldConsolidate, spellID, canApplyAura, isBossDebuff, name, rank, texture = 3, "Poison", 60, 20, nil, nil, nil, 702, nil, nil, GetSpellInfo(702)
Also, as per the UnitAura documentation, the dtype value returned by UnitAura is a string, so "Posion" would be appropriate, rather than Poison, as unless you also define a variable named Poison with a string value "Posion", the latter will be nil.
11-15-11, 12:24 AM   #10
Lysiander
An Aku'mai Servant
You're absolutely right. The above was a quick and dirty test I did a while ago and after it worked I never used it again. Just dug the code out since the question was asked.

[s]Using Poison instead of "Poison" did not return nil though. At least, oUF did color the borders appropriately. But that could be a freak incident of the system. Just though i'd mention it.[/s]

Edit: Scratch that. I just tested it again and it didn't color borders, wether its a proper string or not. Im pretty sure it did once, but it doesn't with oUF 1.5.13.

Last edited by Lysiander : 11-15-11 at 12:29 AM.
11-16-11, 01:20 AM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

You may have had some other addon leaking a global variable.
11-16-11, 08:11 AM   #12
Buddie
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
That's great, thanks.
11-20-11, 04:49 AM   #13
Pyrates
A Cliff Giant

Does this work for anyone? I'd really love such a possibility, but couldn't for my life figure out how to do it. I've also set groupFilter to nil (needed to use namelist), but still, nothing happens. Anyone got some header testing code that really works?
12-16-11, 02:12 AM   #14
Lysiander
An Aku'mai Servant
I just thought of an even simpler way to test auras. Go to line 84 in auras.lua and replace:

UnitAura(unit, index, filter)

with

UnitAura(unit, 1, filter)

That way, oUF will simply repeat the first aura you have over and over. As long as one aura is present (equip a tabard for buffs, use a bandage for debuffs), you can test to your hearts content. The advantage over the previous concept is that you can remove all auras from your character (i.e. unequip the tabard) to remove the testmode temporarily instead of reloading the interface. It also allows you to test timers and the like since it actually gets dynamic data for the aura, instead of static information.

@Pyrates: It hasn't worked for me. I simply created a bunch of frames linked to a testmode variable in my CFG file and made sure they load in the same location as the party/raidframes do. It at least allows you to test positioning, which is all I really care about since I use "showSolo" for everything else. I did this for pretty much every frame that isn't shown by default. Makes positioning and general space design a lot easier.

Last edited by Lysiander : 12-16-11 at 02:15 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » How do you test Boss frames?