07-15-11, 03:52 PM   #1
Narinka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Post 8.1.1 How to?

Cool work, Sigg and Co, thanks for keeping RDX running, thats really game-in-game for many people I'm sure ;)

Have some "how to"s and some suggestions, that's why in this subforum.
Sigg, can you explain the best way to setup my own old packages with fresh install of 8.1.1?

Steps as I see it..
- make "Backup Packages" in old RDX, now we have RDX_Recovery.lua for new version (put this file aside in backup);
- delete all RDX files in Addons including VFL etc;
- delete all RDX files in WTF;
- unpack new version of RDX in Addons (+ medialib + lang pack);
- place back RDX_Recovery.lua in WTF;
- startup WoW;
I hope above steps are fine.. but just to be sure.

Now most interesting part, we have question to setup WoWRDX OOBE if you choose Cancel = BIG Fail. Almost nothing works (maybe better to skip this question and force install this part?).

Ok, so rinse - repeat, now we choose "Ok" to install WoWRDX.

We are forced in WoWRDX desktops, windows, all disabled Blizz features and so on.
As expected, but I don't need them, so.. what should I do on this step?
- restore Packages from Recovery;
- create my own AUI?
- switch to it;
- select my new desktops for this aui;
- open my windows for each desktop, right? (yeah, I lost them, forgot to include in recovery).

Why I ask.. when I right click on RDX mini button by default i still see only WOWRDX windows in list. I still can click top-right mini button in window to see all windows in all packages, but not sure it works right in my case.

Some thoughts:
- miss Close option in drop down menu, it was maybe most used option for me;
- do not see why you need Clone in hot list, it should be the same way as Duplicate in package explorer imho, you need it once when you create your UI(not very important, let it be maybe, but will look too similar to Close, Hide maybe?);
- window list is too small and too bloated when you have many packages (that's by default btw, i do not need them and still..), when you open windows from different packages it's pain in the ass then to close them;
- do not like this popup Desktop manager window every time when I just need to move some window a bit.. but meh..(maybe make it as an option or from menu?);
- better to make Desktop manager window such way that window list takes right side from top to bottom and other options are aside, wish to see more windows without using scroll so much. Well not sure if it will be fine for low res desktops, but still.. in my wish list(ps: or maybe to make it the same way as package explorer works? you choose categories and have options for them on the right side);
- can you make some quick hot key for package explorer on miniRDX button please (with alt or ctrl maybe)?
- is there some way to keep blizz frame manager options? I loose them with each update.

In progress..

Last edited by Narinka : 07-15-11 at 03:59 PM.
07-16-11, 03:23 AM   #2
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Thanks for your huge feedback.

The procedure to backup/restore that you give, is the good one.

maybe better to skip this question and force install this part?
I have never thought about this. Let me see how to enable this panel only when there is a new OOBE different to WoWRDX.

We are forced in WoWRDX desktops, windows, all disabled Blizz features and so on.
As expected, but I don't need them, so.. what should I do on this step?
The WoWRDX OOBE must be install. The WoWRDX package contains some common objects, which is need by RDX. Having these packages will not consume any CPU and make you lost FPS.

Why I ask.. when I right click on RDX mini button by default i still see only WOWRDX windows in list. I still can click top-right mini button in window to see all windows in all packages, but not sure it works right in my case.
The concept of the new RDX8.1 is the usage of the theme.
When you load a theme, only windows of this theme are available.

I strongly recommend to create your own AUI package.
(Duplicate a existing package which contains a autodesk script)
You must keep the names of all the windows objects, there are very important. Then transfer your designs into this new package.
Create only one package and store all your windows inside.

miss Close option in drop down menu, it was maybe most used option for me;
The close option has been removed, because a lot of people closed theirs windows and then they did a reloadUI, thinking windows will come back.
This is why I put the window list in this way. It is easier for new people to understand the window list.

do not see why you need Clone in hot list, it should be the same way as Duplicate in package explorer imho, you need it once when you create your UI(not very important, let it be maybe, but will look too similar to Close, Hide maybe?);
About the clone link, yes it is a good point to move it into the explorer.

do not like this popup Desktop manager window every time when I just need to move some window a bit.. but meh..(maybe make it as an option or from menu?);
No, I will let this menu like this for the moment.

better to make Desktop manager window such way that window list takes right side from top to bottom and other options are aside, wish to see more windows without using scroll so much. Well not sure if it will be fine for low res desktops, but still.. in my wish list(ps: or maybe to make it the same way as package explorer works? you choose categories and have options for them on the right side);
The desktop manager will be too big.

can you make some quick hot key for package explorer on miniRDX button please (with alt or ctrl maybe)?
Yes I can.

is there some way to keep blizz frame manager options? I loose them with each update.
Settings have been reset only with 8.1. That will not change anymore.

Cheers
07-16-11, 12:40 PM   #3
Narinka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
The concept of the new RDX8.1 is the usage of the theme.
When you load a theme, only windows of this theme are available.

I strongly recommend to create your own AUI package.
(Duplicate a existing package which contains a autodesk script)
You must keep the names of all the windows objects, there are very important. Then transfer your designs into this new package.
Create only one package and store all your windows inside.
Uh.. so I did it at last.. but have uneasy feeling.
As I understood if you wish easy access to windows list you need to keep all your windows in one package and name of this package must be the same as your theme name.
You see, before I had several packages devided by context. Like NariAlerts, NariGrid, NariUI etc, to keep it more organized. In current state I can't have quick access to windows from another package?
And if you drop it all in one package it becomes a bloody mess :S Well.. will need to rethink many things now.

The close option has been removed, because a lot of people closed theirs windows and then they did a reloadUI, thinking windows will come back.
This is why I put the window list in this way. It is easier for new people to understand the window list.
I can understand that, had similar problems at first time. But still.. maybe we can do some alternative (can you revive old minimize maybe)?

To be honest I just hate this idea about 100500 desktops and prefer to switch several windows "on the fly" and keep 1-2 different desktops. DUI is not enough for many classes like druid for example (healer, cat, bear, moonkin all require different windows for me). Windows can be changed very often depending on your task in raid from boss to boss and no.. i can't make it via bossmod because today i'm DD on interrupt duty, next raid i'm tank on the same boss and in another raid i can be healer with several another tasks and need to tweak my windows fast, right here right now. That's main power of RDX for me, not some static UI.
Sorry for a walls of text, I just try to explain why i need such option quite often
07-16-11, 05:05 PM   #4
Narinka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
If I need different sets of windows for my characters then I need:
- to make theme for each character;
- make 1-10 desktops for each character;
- if i wish to have quick access to windows list I need different package for each theme (character)?
07-22-11, 01:12 AM   #5
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
The filter button on the panel desktop tools will be save when you close the desktop tool.

I will add a new propertie to the package metadata info. When checked, the filter consider the package as common and will show the windows inside.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » OpenRDX » OpenRDX Support » OpenRDX: Feature Requests » 8.1.1 How to?