03-15-07, 08:54 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
New Search

Dolby worked his cute little tail off and wrote a brand new search for our sites that is really secksy! It supports full boolean string and keyword search. The advanced search has even more options, including being able to search only one category or exclude that category from your search. Thanks Dolby!

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-15-07 at 08:59 PM.
03-16-07, 05:55 AM   #2
wingedkat
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
But the functionality that I used most is gone! How do I find most recent files, now? I used to click the 'newer than yesterday' tab...
03-16-07, 06:19 AM   #3
robthedude
Don't Panic

Just tried it out and it's wonderful thanks Dolby!!

WingedKat, the most recently updated files are on the main page, down the right-hand side

03-16-07, 08:08 AM   #4
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't believe you. I want proof it's cute. SS or it didn't happen!
03-16-07, 08:17 AM   #5
matt232
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by wingedkat
But the functionality that I used most is gone! How do I find most recent files, now? I used to click the 'newer than yesterday' tab...
I'm with you Wingedkat, unless there is another mechanism to let us see a short list of all the newly updated downloads the new search is completely and utterly useless to me. Sorry to be critical after what is no doubt been a lot of work, i know how frustrating that can be for the person that did the work, but perhaps there wasn't enough time spent understanding how people were using the search interface during the design phase of this new search facility.

I REALLY hope that I am blind and the functionality of being able to see downloads that have been updated within the last x days is still here. If so please point me in the right direction, otherwise I hope there is another version of the search interface which will be released soon.
03-16-07, 11:07 AM   #6
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tekkub
I don't believe you. I want proof it's cute. SS or it didn't happen!
Woah, I just did a search and felt an undeniable desire to pinch my computer's cheek.
03-16-07, 11:46 AM   #7
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by matt232
I'm with you Wingedkat, unless there is another mechanism to let us see a short list of all the newly updated downloads the new search is completely and utterly useless to me. Sorry to be critical after what is no doubt been a lot of work, i know how frustrating that can be for the person that did the work, but perhaps there wasn't enough time spent understanding how people were using the search interface during the design phase of this new search facility.

I REALLY hope that I am blind and the functionality of being able to see downloads that have been updated within the last x days is still here. If so please point me in the right direction, otherwise I hope there is another version of the search interface which will be released soon.
I always just looked on the right side of the main page and hit the link for the latest 100. I rarely go without looking at them for more then a few days (weekends usually). I might have to hit page 2 or 3 but I see them all.
03-16-07, 01:48 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by matt232

Did you not read the post two above yours?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-16-07, 05:04 PM   #9
robthedude
Don't Panic

that 'recently updated addons' on the main page is the reason my addon folder is spiraling out of control... 100-odd addons and counting...

03-16-07, 05:31 PM   #10
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Good job Dolby .. (and Cairenn )

Doing a search for Atlas actually now shows only atlas.

Great job ... someone deserves a pat on the back. (And their cute tail stroked)
03-16-07, 07:16 PM   #11
matt232
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Seerah
Did you not read the post two above yours?
I had been awake for 2 days working flat out when I posted and as i guessed, I am blind. Added to that I have never looked at the root page (usually of no help in most website in my experience) had I known it was there I would have been using that method as well. I would suggest having that link and/or panel on the search page so its in a (second) logical place to look and to maintain similar functionality that was being used in the old search interface.

If two vocal people, tip of the iceberg since quite probably there are more silent people, have been inconvenienced and had the same thoughts as me, "well I guess I'll just have to find another website that does do it". Then its likely that some of the patronage of the website has acted on that thought. Throwing a link onto the search page is probably a good idea to keep us blind people happy.

Nevertheless thanks for all the efforts everyone puts into the website, there is a reason why I'm here having a whinge and thats because I find its the best one of its kind out at the moment.

Last edited by matt232 : 03-16-07 at 07:26 PM.
03-23-07, 11:12 PM   #12
THUNDER_CHILD
Dork
Premium Member
But how am i going to get random mods when i do a search for something specific?? damn there goes all my fun

Excellent job dolby, it's been needed it for a while, it's nice to see you writing up a working search engine. Gratz to you.
03-27-07, 05:10 PM   #13
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Slap myself for not thanking you sooner Dolby. Searches work beautifully now! Kudos as usual to the admins.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » New Search