07-09-12, 05:11 PM   #1
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
World of Enhanced Warcraft ENB Preview

Before I show you what it looks like so far.

Note that, I have contacted Blizzard Support and asked if these are breaking any policies or anything... they said no problem. They said you won't get banned using ENB's, because they're just like an Addon, you have control over it.

Also, I couldn't figure out if there is a policy on WoW Interface, about whether you can upload ENB mods or not.

It will consist of only 2 files, and they will not be in the Interface folder.

Instead they will go in where the World of Warcraft Launcher is located, the main directory.

The 2 files are mainly code, which enhance a lot of the graphic style in games, by adding things such as a much much better SSAO (Ambient Occlusion, and if it doesn't have it, it will add it), Improved Shaders, Improved Shadows, God Rays (Sun Rays, but more realistic).

What is ENB:

ENBSeries is the project of graphic modifications for games. The main idea is to allow every gamer to configure how game looks like for their own taste, so every player could share settings with others. Many games may look much better and ENBSeries is the easiest way to improve them.
If there is no ENBSeries version for game you wish to modify, just try several avalable, may be one of them will work.

(Directly from the main website for ENBs here: http://enbdev.com/index_en.html)

If you don't like this, you don't have to use it - but I do and I thought others might too, so here you go:

ORIGINAL:

NOW THE CHANGES:

What I did is downloaded the GTA4 ENBseries Mod from the website there, and configured it to run with WoW, and it can be tweaked. So after uploaded, anyone is welcome to tweak it and re-upload with their own configuration.

Experimentation is important. Right now this is in the early stages. There are other WoW ENB's out there.

For those that don't know what WoW is, it's World of Warcraft abbreviated.

Note: Some features are not shown in screenshots, I am not sure why. Which is why it's hard to identify which one is modified. I don't know how to make videos, so at the moment there isn't one. But there will be eventually.

Last edited by Rammoth : 07-09-12 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Added more screenshots, and updated.
07-09-12, 05:20 PM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

A before and after shot would help you a bit in showing people the difference.
07-09-12, 05:21 PM   #3
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
A before and after shot would help you a bit in showing people the difference.
Thanks, I'll get some before shots real quick, and upload as soon as I can.

I can't believe I didn't think of that... oh well lol

I probably should have noted that these are subtle changes at the moment, until I figure out how to add even more advanced changes to the quality.
07-09-12, 05:39 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Also, you should probably explain what an "ENB" is, for those of us who have no idea. At the very least, expand the initialism (eg. "WoW" -> "World of Warcraft") so we can Google it. When I typed "enb" into Google, I got were lots of Enbridge stock quotes, Earth Negotiations Bulletin, Ephrata National Bank, and the English National Ballet. Wikipedia was of no help, either.
07-09-12, 05:43 PM   #5
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

You should be able to see shader enhancements, glow enhancements, bloom enhancements, shadow enhancements, SSAO enhancements, and sharper image adjustments as well as a few other things.

I originally messed up and uploaded screens without turning the ENB on lol... that is fixed now.
07-09-12, 05:46 PM   #6
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Also, you should probably explain what an "ENB" is, for those of us who have no idea. At the very least, expand the initialism (eg. "WoW" -> "World of Warcraft") so we can Google it. When I typed "enb" into Google, I got were lots of Enbridge stock quotes, Earth Negotiations Bulletin, Ephrata National Bank, and the English National Ballet. Wikipedia was of no help, either.
Thanks, I will do that too.
07-09-12, 06:47 PM   #7
MiRai
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
The ENBSeries DLL has been talked about here numerous times before, albeit, one thread is quite old.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43297
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=32975

EDIT: I should say that I've used it before and it's nice, but it also makes things "bloom" that you don't want -- Like your unit frames and chat text. In the end, it was fun for a day and then I moved back to the basic built-in ffxglow.

Last edited by MiRai : 07-09-12 at 06:49 PM.
07-09-12, 07:05 PM   #8
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

Yeah, I got the idea to do this for WoW because I tried it on Skyrim and loved it.

So I'm going to keep tweaking it. But I can't upload it yet until Boris gives me permission, he's the original author of ENB series mods.
07-10-12, 01:35 PM   #9
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

These modifications aren't compatible with DirectX 11, correct?
07-10-12, 03:21 PM   #10
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

Correct, you can read more about it on the addons page here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...rcraftENB.html

Originally Posted by Talyrius View Post
These modifications aren't compatible with DirectX 11, correct?
07-10-12, 05:11 PM   #11
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Because this mod changes DirectX, not WoW, taking a WoW screenshot doesn't show the changes.

I took two pictures using the Windows screen capture tool, though.

Before:

After:

This mod is not entirely stable though - it crashed my computer as I got a UAC popup (the one that temporarily changes your desktop to a secure state). Just a black screen, nothing else - had to force a shutdown.
07-10-12, 05:26 PM   #12
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

Thank you for this. However, you shouldn't have any issues with it, I don't. I'm not sure why you do.

Did you follow each step, and make sure that DX9 is set in your World of Warcraft Options, not DX11?

Also, did you make sure your graphics driver is up to date, and your DirectX version is the latest version?

Because your problem sounds like the problem that is caused by those 2 things not being updated. If you're using beta drivers, they might not be compatible, I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
Because this mod changes DirectX, not WoW, taking a WoW screenshot doesn't show the changes.

I took two pictures using the Windows screen capture tool, though.

Before:

After:

This mod is not entirely stable though - it crashed my computer as I got a UAC popup (the one that temporarily changes your desktop to a secure state). Just a black screen, nothing else - had to force a shutdown.
07-10-12, 06:37 PM   #13
MiRai
Originally Posted by Rammoth View Post
Thank you for this. However, you shouldn't have any issues with it, I don't. I'm not sure why you do.
I'm sorry, but that is an ignorant statement. This isn't your typical mod, it's not some Lua file that you just drop into your addons folder and enable via the character selection screen. Not everyone's hardware is the same and the ENBSeries DLL was not developed with World of Warcraft in mind -- It's just luck that it does happen to work with it.

I'm not sure you've used this ENBSeries mod long enough to really know what it's doing or how to help people troubleshoot any issues that may arise, especially since you aren't the author of the file. Would you have been able to help Haleth troubleshoot his crash if he had provided a crash report?

By no means am I claiming to be an expert on this, but it sounds like you just wanted to share this DLL file with other people via WoWInterface. On the "addon" page, you mention that there is an .ini file that needs to be extracted, but fail to mention that it's full of settings that can be tweaked by the user. Half of these settings do nothing with World of Warcraft and if you set an incorrect value in the .ini file you can seriously bring your FPS to a crawl and, on lower-end systems, it could probably crash the client. You also fail to mention that this mod is incompatible with the 64-bit client regardless of whether you're using DX9 or not.

Here is a quote from the author himself pertaining to World of Warcraft:
No, i don't have this game and not planning to play/install it, so only generic on overall screen shaders available, affecting HUD. Source
The author has no desire to directly support World of Warcraft, so all of the pressure is now on you and you won't be able to send people off to his forum when you can't figure out why they're having problems. People don't want to hear "I don't know" and "I'm not sure" from someone who is providing them a file and telling them it's safe to use. I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but it sounds like you may end up being in over your head if problems arise.
07-10-12, 07:00 PM   #14
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

I think you should read the entire mod page.

Also, I wasn't being ignorant at all. I was being honest. I really don't know what could be causing it. I'm still changing things in the file, and I'm still trying to learn as I go. Not everyone can be so good at something right away.

On my mod page, it does state that it's used AS IS, and at the users risk, not mine. If it doesn't work for them, there isn't a lot I can do, UNTIL I figure it out. It is the first time I've uploaded anything on WoW Interface. I'm not familiar with code at all. But I'm learning. I don't think I'm over my head. Because I don't give up. When I start something I keep going until I'm just not capable and I try my best to be honest at all times.

That's about the best I think anyone can do when just starting out with something.

This makes the 3rd person that comes off like they're attacking me today... I have no idea what's up people buts today. I didn't have to share anything with anybody, but I chose to. If that's not appreciated then I don't know what else to tell you...

I have spoken to Boris the creator of ENB via Email, and he and I both are working on this on and off, he's helping me understand what I can. He may not play the game, but I do. So this could work and it's worth a try.

Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
I'm sorry, but that is an ignorant statement. This isn't your typical mod, it's not some Lua file that you just drop into your addons folder and enable via the character selection screen. Not everyone's hardware is the same and the ENBSeries DLL was not developed with World of Warcraft in mind -- It's just luck that it does happen to work with it.

I'm not sure you've used this ENBSeries mod long enough to really know what it's doing or how to help people troubleshoot any issues that may arise, especially since you aren't the author of the file. Would you have been able to help Haleth troubleshoot his crash if he had provided a crash report?

By no means am I claiming to be an expert on this, but it sounds like you just wanted to share this DLL file with other people via WoWInterface. On the "addon" page, you mention that there is an .ini file that needs to be extracted, but fail to mention that it's full of settings that can be tweaked by the user. Half of these settings do nothing with World of Warcraft and if you set an incorrect value in the .ini file you can seriously bring your FPS to a crawl and, on lower-end systems, it could probably crash the client. You also fail to mention that this mod is incompatible with the 64-bit client regardless of whether you're using DX9 or not.

Here is a quote from the author himself pertaining to World of Warcraft:

The author has no desire to directly support World of Warcraft, so all of the pressure is now on you and you won't be able to send people off to his forum when you can't figure out why they're having problems. People don't want to hear "I don't know" and "I'm not sure" from someone who is providing them a file and telling them it's safe to use. I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but it sounds like you may end up being in over your head if problems arise.
07-11-12, 12:39 AM   #15
Phanx
Cat.

Also, I wasn't being ignorant at all. I was being honest. I really don't know what could be causing it. I'm still changing things in the file, and I'm still trying to learn as I go. Not everyone can be so good at something right away.
The word "ignorant" simply means "lacking knowledge". Not knowing something is the very definiton of ignorance, and there's nothing wrong with not knowing something, as long as you're willing to keep learning. If people keep asking about something, that's probably what you should try to learn next!

This makes the 3rd person that comes off like they're attacking me today... I have no idea what's up people buts today.
Remember that on a forum, nobody can hear your tone of voice, see your facial expression, or interpret your body language. Likewise, you can't hear anyone else's voice or see their face, either. Don't assume that someone is attacking you just because they're asking for information you don't have, or correcting something you wrote. It's okay to say "sorry, I can't answer your question", or just not respond at all if you don't feel like you have a good answer.

That's the upside of a forum -- while it's easier to misinterpret what people say in text than in face-to-face or voice communication, it's also easier to leave the conversation or take a break, because nobody expects a reply omg right now now now this second, and nobody can tell what you're doing instead of responding to them.
07-11-12, 04:38 AM   #16
MiRai
On my mod page, it does state that it's used AS IS, and at the users risk, not mine. If it doesn't work for them, there isn't a lot I can do, UNTIL I figure it out. It is the first time I've uploaded anything on WoW Interface. I'm not familiar with code at all. But I'm learning. I don't think I'm over my head. Because I don't give up. When I start something I keep going until I'm just not capable and I try my best to be honest at all times.
What I'm saying is that it seems you just rushed into things so you could share something on WoWInterface that's been available on the internet for years. Honesty is a great trait, but honesty isn't going to fix people's problems when they arise.

I have spoken to Boris the creator of ENB via Email, and he and I both are working on this on and off, he's helping me understand what I can. He may not play the game, but I do. So this could work and it's worth a try.
Well, that's good to hear, but unless Boris wants to make this work with DX11 and/or the 64-bit client, I can't imagine there being a long term desire for this mod. It's fun to play around with and take some screenshots but, that's another reason that I stopped using it, because there is no support for DX11.

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Remember that on a forum, nobody can hear your tone of voice, see your facial expression, or interpret your body language. Likewise, you can't hear anyone else's voice or see their face, either. Don't assume that someone is attacking you just because they're asking for information you don't have, or correcting something you wrote.
Truth.
07-11-12, 06:01 AM   #17
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

I understand, and I'm sorry. I was pretty emotional yesterday. It's one of the things I have a hard time controlling, and you don't need to know more than about it, but lets just say it's not always in my power, but I can choose what to type and send and what not to. So I'm sorry if I was a little snappy.

I'm trying to learn, and I don't wanna give up. There has to be a way to fix these problems, and make it great. I believe I can do that, if I can just figure out how. That's why I keep trying, and that's why I stay active on this website.

Thanks for being honest, that's the most important.

And you guys are right, I did upload it excitedly, just to share it with people because I like it. But I got permission first before I did it.

I have used ENB's on other games too, so I have some knowledge of what lines in the enbseries.ini can do, but other than that, I have no idea. There is a few other files that come with other ENB's for different games that could be useful for this game, and I understand some of what's in it. For example, adding a cinematic feel to the screen by having a black bar at the top and bottom, so it will look like it's wide screen. But it wouldn't look exactly right considering it wasn't made for WoW. If there was an ENB made for WoW, it would be a lot easier. But that's what I'm trying to get at. I know there are features in it that don't do anything for WoW, and I'm trying to ween those out.

I don't understand code very well, and I'd like assistance with working on this project with someone that does understand the code used in these ENB's. But if I don't learn anything, eventually the project won't need me anymore. However, I simply just wanted to share something awesome with people and have some way of keeping it going, even if I don't know what I'm doing.

Last edited by Rammoth : 07-11-12 at 06:06 AM.
07-11-12, 07:23 AM   #18
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Just a tip on the mater of screenshots, a great way of comparing is to make a gif and text on each frame saying what is what and let it just rotate with an interval, helps compare.

Example: click here because the image is too large for a post

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » World of Enhanced Warcraft ENB Preview