12-10-13, 07:54 PM   #1
Zyella
A Murloc Raider
map/quest log broken

I'm using NUI+, and as of today, started having issues with my quest log and map. The log isn't showing quest info (and sometimes, not even quests), and my map is broken (either greened out, blanked out, or showing my location as wrong).
I turned off all my addons, and turned them back on one by one, but didn't encounter and issues until I checked off nui. I then tried to reinstall the entire interface, with no luck. The only two errors I'm seeing in swatter are the following:

Date: 2013-12-10 20:25:35
ID: 1
Error occured in: Global
Count: 10
MainMenuMicroButton:SetPoint(): StoreMicroButton is dependent on this
Debug:
[C]: SetPoint()
..\FrameXML\MainMenuBarMicroButtons.lua:217: UpdateMicroButtons()
..\FrameXML\MainMenuBarMicroButtons.lua:260:
..\FrameXML\MainMenuBarMicroButtons.lua:256
Locals:
(*temporary) = MainMenuMicroButton {
0 = <userdata>
tooltipText = "Game Menu (Escape)"
updateInterval = 1
newbieText = "Modify your settings, change your hotkeys or exit the game."
Flash = MainMenuMicroButtonFlash {
}
}
(*temporary) = "BOTTOMLEFT"
(*temporary) = StoreMicroButton {
0 = <userdata>
tooltipText = "Shop"
Flash = StoreMicroButtonFlash {
}
}
(*temporary) = "BOTTOMRIGHT"
(*temporary) = -3
(*temporary) = 0

Date: 2013-12-10 20:25:35
ID: 1
Error occured in: Global
Count: 10
MainMenuMicroButton:SetPoint(): StoreMicroButton is dependent on this
Debug:
[C]: SetPoint()
..\FrameXML\MainMenuBarMicroButtons.lua:217: UpdateMicroButtons()
..\FrameXML\MainMenuBarMicroButtons.lua:260:
..\FrameXML\MainMenuBarMicroButtons.lua:256
Locals:
(*temporary) = MainMenuMicroButton {
0 = <userdata>
tooltipText = "Game Menu (Escape)"
updateInterval = 1
newbieText = "Modify your settings, change your hotkeys or exit the game."
Flash = MainMenuMicroButtonFlash {
}
}
(*temporary) = "BOTTOMLEFT"
(*temporary) = StoreMicroButton {
0 = <userdata>
tooltipText = "Shop"
Flash = StoreMicroButtonFlash {
}
}
(*temporary) = "BOTTOMRIGHT"
(*temporary) = -3
(*temporary) = 0

Any ideas?

12-10-13, 08:01 PM   #2
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yep. Same bug as this one: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48645

It's caused by the one change Blizzard has made to the Menu Bar, added a In-Game Shop icon.

This is causing the Main Menu Bar Micro Buttons at top of nUI screen to bug out.

12-10-13, 08:03 PM   #3
Zyella
A Murloc Raider
Funny thing is, I'm not having any problems with the main menu bar that I can see. Just the quest log and map

12-10-13, 09:35 PM   #4
shockangel
A Murloc Raider
same for me

if i re-size the map its done it goes all wacky its like it merges with part of the quest log and then log is empty all i see is minus sings where my quest should be kind of disappointing tho nui is the one and only bar i have always supported and used but blah cant even use the map to track my quest once they are done it shows no changes i have to close wow and restart to get the update of quest. if i maximize map is ok but yeah not sure what to do bout this to tired to try to figure out the problem anyways..

12-11-13, 10:20 AM   #5
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
Here's a screenshot of the Quest Log bug with nUI 5.07.40 and Patch 5.4.2...

Also, I see the Map bug and a bug with the Skada integration (Skada infopanel overlays all infopanels, so that you can change the infopanel but can't click any icons due to Skada been overlaided (XMage for example, can't click portals/teleports due to Skada info overlaying right hand infopanel).

Last edited by Daveo77 : 12-11-13 at 11:06 AM.

12-11-13, 11:37 AM   #6
shockangel
A Murloc Raider
is there a plan to fix this?

i mean im just wondering since there is no response from the creator im kind of wondering if this awesome nui will become obsolete or is he trying to fix it now?

12-11-13, 12:21 PM   #7
BO5ivojLupen
A Defias Bandit
Spiel is a working person, but I'm sure he is working on a solution. Have patience my friend

12-11-13, 04:08 PM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I'll take a look at the quest log thing, but my reply in the other thread regarding the mainmenu buttons positioning being affected by the new shop button blizzard added has worked wonders for me. I was playing hours last night.

Give the following file a go and see if it resolves the problem you are getting. The only thing I have seen so far that is missing from nUI are the two power info buttons either side of the main menu buttons. Not exactly game breaking as most of that information is available if you mouse over the computer icon button.

As for Scott, he may still be out on the road working at his job or working on that forest project he has been spending a lot of his spare time on, and thus may not be aware of this problem yet.

My fix isn't perfect but it allows you to play the game without any errors.

The attached picture is showing what my quest log looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_121113_220902.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	7964  
Attached Files
File Type: lua nUI_MicroMenu.lua (20.1 KB, 481 views)

Last edited by Xrystal : 12-11-13 at 04:11 PM.

12-11-13, 04:17 PM   #9
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
'Why is the positioning of the main menu buttons related to displaying the quest log?'

The error regarding the main menu bar is triggered whenever blizzard tries to redraw the buttons which happens every time you click one of the buttons. Most of the time an error stops the rest of the process from happening, so imagine the following ...

1. Click Button
2. Frame starts being displayed
3. Update Main menu Buttons .... error ..
4. Rest of new frame display

When the error is triggered the next stage isn't executed, hence the incomplete display. This is how you sometimes see nUI not quite right, map not in the bottom, chatframes not in the right place etc. One error triggered at the wrong time can stop another process from running that is totally unrelated to the one that went wrong.

12-11-13, 05:21 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Actually, in investigating another non addon loaded problem I have been seeing I have come to realise that nUI is messing up my wtf file. Starting with an empty wtf file for your character nUI will either position the buttons at the bottom ( with my fix in this thread ) or position them at the top and error out (without my fix).

Will have to investigate further.

However, until I did that things were fine running the game with nUI. As soon as I turn off nUI though, after it has repositioned frames etc and then relog in without ANY addons the mainmenu doesn't appear. Rename that characters wtf folder and relog in and everything is fine until I load up nUI.

12-11-13, 05:26 PM   #11
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
OK. With Xrystal's MicroMenu fix, I have a working quest log and map.

Just the Skada overlaying the right infopanel issue remains. This prevents other infopanels from being clicked on, like XMage & Professions.

12-11-13, 06:09 PM   #12
Aachel
A Defias Bandit

I got the same problem with questlogs and maps as well - and when I did the legendary quest to kill the warchief I had to reload ui for the questlog to update and show quest as done.

The fix you posted Xcrystal - fixed it! Thank you so much! <3

Last edited by Aachel : 12-11-13 at 06:13 PM. Reason: I

12-11-13, 06:32 PM   #13
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Well I thought I had a better fix in place, until I had a pet battle.... it all then went wrong.

So I went back to the old fix and had a pet battle ... erm it all went wrong, and then stays wrong until you reset your layout-locale config file which will affect any frame settings stored in it and not just nUI's frame changes.

The problem is definitely linked to the positioning of the buttons/frame but for the life of me nothing I am doing is fixing it 100%.

This may have to be looked at by Scott who understands his coding better than myself.

However, the file attached seems to be a little bit better of a fix but yep, pet battles still kill the layout cache. As long as you don't pet battle ( while nUI is active I'm assuming) then the menu will position correctly every time you log in and out with nUI active. Screenshot attached.

Of course, if you then decide to turn off nUI and play with bog standard blizz UI, you will need to reset that layout cache again so that blizz can reset it's positions to the default setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_121213_002713.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	7965  
Attached Files
File Type: lua nUI_MicroMenu.lua (20.1 KB, 403 views)

12-11-13, 06:34 PM   #14
shockangel
A Murloc Raider
where does the file go

sorry if thats a stupid question but im not computer savvy so where do i put that file ...thanks

12-11-13, 06:53 PM   #15
shockangel
A Murloc Raider
file fixed my quest log

thanks that file fixed the log and map atleast but now my buttons disappear to teh bottom right corner like everyone now sighs guess all there is to do is wait but im deactivating nUI for now its to head achy for me to figure out thanks for that file tho good luck with this

12-11-13, 07:11 PM   #16
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
My apologies, the files location was in another thread reporting the initial error message.

The file needs to go in Interface/Addons/nUI/Bars folder and it should ask you to overwrite the existing file. Make a copy of the existing file just in case you need to go back to the earlier version. Or you can simply re-download if you need to restore to the original.

Yes, this is one of the worst bugs I have come across and talking to my brother who uses other addons there are other problems that we simply haven't come across yet that cause what we call taint in the addon writing game which is not good.

12-11-13, 09:33 PM   #17
Rucker403
A Murloc Raider
Heya, Xrystal, and thanks for posting a speedy fix. The new microbar file does indeed make the map and quest log work. My microbar also seems to work as long as I don't pet battle.

During the pet battle (yeah, I had to try it), my microbar did indeed freak out. Unlike yours, which went to the bottom of the screen, mine went to the top middle-right -- slightly above the class icon of the enemy pet on the pet battle screen. Maybe that's because I normally keep my microbar in the top left of the screen? (Everyone else seems to park their microbar in the top center of the screen.)

Curious, I went into the movers screen (/nui movers) and slid the Microbar around. The pink bar where the microbar usually lives was still in the lefthand corner. The buttons, however, remained in the top middle/right spot. As I moved the microbar's pink bar around, the buttons moved around the screen in a pattern that I can't begin to describe -- sometime in sync, sometimes closer, sometimes farther away. It would follow the same path, but the distance between the pink bar and the buttons didn't remain constant.

The buttons all seem to work no matter where they are on the screen.

Additional weirdness: I use the mouseover option for the microbar. (It's /nui console mousever). That'll hide both the microbar and the buttons. Very convenient.

However, I was playing around with that feature - turned it off, on, back to mouseover. At one point I managed to shrink the microbar to about a quarter of its current size. A UI reload popped it back into its normal size.

I'm running only three NUI addons: NUI 5.07.40, Centered HUD and Transparent Console.

Sorry for the long post. I can't fix the problem, but I hoping that a few more clues might point you toward a fix.

Good luck!

12-12-13, 05:31 PM   #18
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Give this new file a go.

It seems to make a more consistent result to the menu bar despite messing up once the pet battle starts but a reload of the UI will fix it again, rather than logging out every time. As I posted in the initial error message thread, I'll hopefully get more time to investigate over the weekend.
Attached Files
File Type: lua nUI_MicroMenu.lua (20.4 KB, 424 views)

12-13-13, 03:52 PM   #19
WallyWest
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks for working on this Xrystal.

It seems this patch, despite being fairly minor over all, has once again changed some rather important things under the hood. Damn near all of my addons are causing one issue or another. It would be nice if Blizz would publish everything related to patches so addon authors could easily see what needed to change long before the patch hits. Wishful thinking I suppose.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » map/quest log broken