10-12-09, 05:14 PM   #21
Ither
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
I thought you cannot get W7 anymore? Or are you a subscriber?
I'm a subscriber.
10-12-09, 05:53 PM   #22
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Oh so you get the unlimited RTM?
10-12-09, 06:21 PM   #23
Ither
A Firelord

Oh so you get the unlimited RTM?
Yup. zOMG its fast. With my memory and SSD's, it's f'n FLYING. I'm fixing to install WoW and see how it takes.

I have an i7 965-EE, EVGA X58, 12gb Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz, and (2) OCZ Vertex Turbo 120gb SSD's in Raid.
10-12-09, 06:28 PM   #24
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Yup, one of it's bestest most bestest feats is how it tackled memory optimization. Also note the operating memory of your system in comparison to your previous Vista setup... Mine went from a staggering 1.2 GB memory footprint on down to only 310mb... that's nuts.

You'll also notice BIG gains in Gaming FPS, in ALL Games. I was getting around 35-40 on up to 45 at times in Vista... but now get a steady 60fps and the numbers raise on up to 85 although I don't see a difference between 60 and anything higher than that, haha. I didn't even know any games could go higher than 60fps and what in the world would going higher actually do since there's only so much a monitor can display at a time, right?
10-12-09, 06:39 PM   #25
Ither
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Bornabe View Post
Yup, one of it's bestest most bestest feats is how it tackled memory optimization. Also note the operating memory of your system in comparison to your previous Vista setup... Mine went from a staggering 1.2 GB memory footprint on down to only 310mb... that's nuts.

You'll also notice BIG gains in Gaming FPS, in ALL Games. I was getting around 35-40 on up to 45 at times in Vista... but now get a steady 60fps and the numbers raise on up to 85 although I don't see a difference between 60 and anything higher than that, haha. I didn't even know any games could go higher than 60fps and what in the world would going higher actually do since there's only so much a monitor can display at a time, right?
Yup. Once WOW is installed I will test it. On my 30" Apple Cinema HD I was getting upwards of 120-130fps in 5/10 man groups. Curious to see how much more stable it is. Dalaran I could bust off 45-50 fps on a good day. I think with W7 massive optimization on memory this is where I will see the true power of my expensive machine. I swore I would not upgrade for 3 years after spending almost $6,000 building it.
10-12-09, 06:59 PM   #26
wurmfood
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Most monitors are topped out at 60 fps. Newer monitors can go to 120, but you pay for that. Note that WoW has a Video Synch option which will place an upper limit on framerate. This can be a good thing because it will use less memory/cpu if you cap the framerate.

The human eye tops out around 30 fps. Above that, you can't really tell except for occasional hicups where the framerate drops below. Of course, seeing those higher numbers is always fun.
10-12-09, 07:30 PM   #27
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

I would recommend the 32bit for Software Compatability, but 64bit'll do just fine for your average PC users.
Frankly, I'd just go 64 bit. I've yet to see anything incompatible.

Yeah, Win7 is great . Too bad, though, I'm not gonna get it until after the 22nd . I'd move already to the RC, but apparently they won't allow an upgrade from that, so I might as well wait.
10-12-09, 07:34 PM   #28
Ither
A Firelord

OK! The first bug has surfaced, well still surfaced in RTM. It appears that the Nvidia drivers for nForce are bugged. My X58 has dropped network 7 times already. I made some changes to the adapter to see if it'd stop, so far so good. Lot of folks are saying to revert back to Vista 15.15 drivers for nForce instead.

I noticed a problem when I ran a speed test and my 18Mb fiber line only pulled in at 7Mb. I normally bust 24Mb without issue.
10-12-09, 08:08 PM   #29
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Galtar, what is your video card?
10-12-09, 08:26 PM   #30
Ither
A Firelord

Galtar, what is your video card?
GTX 295 x 2

I'm getting 158fps solid in 10 man raid (in Ulduar right now) with everything maxed. I don't expect to see much for WoW. I will test Crysis tomorrow. I do notice a much faster load speed with W7 and the SSD's.
10-12-09, 08:35 PM   #31
wurmfood
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by CobraA1 View Post
Frankly, I'd just go 64 bit. I've yet to see anything incompatible.
Also remember that unless you have 64bit you won't get more than 3.some-odd gigs of memory available.
10-12-09, 08:36 PM   #32
Ither
A Firelord

Originally Posted by wurmfood View Post
Also remember that unless you have 64bit you won't get more than 3.some-odd gigs of memory available.
Yep. Why I needed 64bit with my 12GB of ram.
10-13-09, 09:53 AM   #33
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Main things that aren't 64bit compatable aren't really things most people use, but unfortunately, I do... lol... Emulators, Old As Dirt Games and a NewsGroup Reader I won't part with. I only have 4GB in my system, and 3 GB runs the games I play flawlessly which is why I stayed 32bit, but one day I'll drop the ole' 32bit stuff and jump the to the 128 or higher they're claiming with Windows 8... Damn thing shouldn't be announced until at least after Win7 is officially out, haha.
10-13-09, 10:44 AM   #34
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Emulators?

Strange, they should work fine. After all, it's their job to translate foreign instructions to x86, and Intel/AMD didn't remove any instructions - they just added new ones.

I use Sun's VirtualBox, and it works flawlessly on my 64 bit OS.

Windows does have shims for virtualization of stuff - have you tried running the emulators with various compatibility settings?

And this may sound crazy, running an emulator inside a virtualizer - have you tried running the emulators in Virtual PC or VirtualBox? Both are free virtualizers, and should be able to virtualize a native 32 bit environment.
10-13-09, 10:53 AM   #35
Dalarond
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by Bruners View Post
what stoneage hardware do you have that it doesnt have drivers for?
This might be more of a situation with running the 64 bit version of the software. If your machine is like mine, capped at 2 gigs, just use the 32bit version.

I've been running Windows 7 RC1 client since it's release. Definitely plan to get the upgrade. I can say it's definitely less resource intensive than VISTA and considerably more peppy.
10-13-09, 11:34 AM   #36
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Been running 7 on my daughters computer and also several versions on a virtual box ever since it became public beta. I really do like it, but unless the price comes down I won't be getting it.
10-13-09, 03:03 PM   #37
Doomborne
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Been running 7 on my daughters computer and also several versions on a virtual box ever since it became public beta. I really do like it, but unless the price comes down I won't be getting it.
You should look into the OEM version, if you don't do frequent hardware upgrades.
10-13-09, 03:12 PM   #38
Republic
Paladin

Main things that aren't 64bit compatable aren't really things most people use, but unfortunately, I do... lol... Emulators, Old As Dirt Games and a NewsGroup Reader I won't part with. I only have 4GB in my system, and 3 GB runs the games I play flawlessly which is why I stayed 32bit, but one day I'll drop the ole' 32bit stuff and jump the to the 128 or higher they're claiming with Windows 8... Damn thing shouldn't be announced until at least after Win7 is officially out, haha.
I plan on going on virtual dates with Windows Media Girlfriend when Windows 11 is out.
10-13-09, 03:12 PM   #39
Ither
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Doomborne View Post
You should look into the OEM version, if you don't do frequent hardware upgrades.
Definitely! I saw Newegg has the OEM 3 pack for $174 bucks.

So far I am very pleased with W7. Don't really like the retarded home group crap since I have my own HP rack server that operates as my file server/media server (its connected to my 60" Flat in the living room for movies.)

I did notice that HG will not work unless IPv6 is activated. Unfortunately I don't use IPv6 atm. There's really no sense in using it in a local environment. We haven't made 6 a requirement on any back bone service, yet. That's one hiccup, just FYI. Home Group will not work with v6 going. If you have a static assigned like I do in my network, you can have to convert all IPv4 to 6. If you need help let me know.
10-14-09, 02:49 AM   #40
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Republic View Post
I plan on going on virtual dates with Windows Media Girlfriend when Windows 11 is out.
0.o

Originally Posted by Doomborne View Post
$180.00 bucks for 7 Ultimate 64bit at newegg.com. I just might do that!

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Windows 7 is actually worth it.