04-18-08, 10:20 AM   #1
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Targeting Issues and Nameplate Clutter

When I pvp I always keep nameplates on so I can see who is the weakest to focus on as well as see who is casting for interrupting. It’s a crucial part of the game, especially in the arena. I also use tab targeting over clicking because clicking isn’t always easy (esp if there is lag and the dude is particularly sparky) as well as to use my mouse to move around. Is there away to ONLY display player nameplates and/or allow tab targeting of REAL PLAYERS and not those of pets, vipers, tree things, and other totally useless (to me) critters I care not to see or attack? Nothing is worse than running over a hunters retarded viper nest thing and my whole screen fills up with completely useless nameplates and the hunters nameplate totally gets lost in the volume. It’s actually very annoying and I’m sure this wasn’t intended by the game developers.

To further my point, nothing is more maddening than chasing down a player, hitting tab, and automatically targeting the stupid pet because it is usually closest to you. You hit tab again and now you targeted the a druids tree minions. So you go analog and try clicking the assumed target and WHOOPS… 500 vipers are all over the place and now its impossible to click anything but a snake. Come on, it shouldn’t be so hard to simply target someone!

I know this is happening to other players. Ever since the expansion, almost every class (even my class) has a pet or a minion or something. There are more junk NPCs running around in a battle then they are actual players. They do have their purposes, hell I love my fire elementals, but I’m sure one of their ***intended*** purposes is not to make it difficult to target their owners and/or other REAL players running around.

So is there away to only see nameplates and tab target those who are only real players?

Thank You.
04-18-08, 01:26 PM   #2
tehdoughboy
A Murloc Raider
For the nameplate issue, use Aloft. you can get it from http://files.wowace.com/

It has options to choose what kind of players / NPC's you want to show nameplates for.
04-18-08, 02:37 PM   #3
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Wow that looks like exactly what i want.... can i keep the nameplates looking and acting the same, or will this mod make everything look like candy land?
04-18-08, 02:53 PM   #4
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Aloft uses CandyBars. i don't think you can use the default nameplates with it (because its purpose, largely, is to replace/customize them).

you might check out AutoNameplates tho, as it just manages what and when is shown.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
04-18-08, 08:17 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Aloft does not use the CandyBar library. And to HyperGig, you can make Aloft look however you want it to.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-18-08, 10:47 PM   #6
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

that's what i get for posting from work...

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Targeting Issues and Nameplate Clutter