/hug
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
LUV FEST!!!
/more hugs!
06-22-09, 10:52 AM   #42
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
after reading the OP i thought that this was the perfect reason why i'd love age restricted servers.
06-22-09, 01:33 PM   #43
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by recluse View Post
What is that? 2 pigeons wrapped in newspapers inside a speedo? o.O
Yes... And skin as requested and apparently required by Torhal...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
06-22-09, 01:35 PM   #44
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
/more hugs!
/GROUP HUG!!!!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
06-22-09, 04:04 PM   #45
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
after reading the OP i thought that this was the perfect reason why i'd love age restricted servers.

I used to feel the same way. Since my constant leaving WoW, off and on over the last year though, and having completely abandoned it in March/April... I've seen it isn't the kids that give the game that kiddy feel, to me, it's just the overall attitude of the population (the case of the OP withstanding). The other games I've played have kids, but it isn't the same attitude you find in WoW. In LotRO, especially, I have not had a bad experience yet due to a kid or an elitist looking down on my low level characters (all under 35 atm). It seems my only bad experiences with "kids" have been on WoW, and had learned some of those "kids" that gave me those bad experiences, we my age... or at least well over 16.

Look at Cralor's post, then look at all of us adult posters. Which post in the thread looks the most mature of all? Cralor's, imo (and yes, I know Cralor is not the typical non-adult ).

I would have definitely agreed with you a year ago, though.
06-28-09, 05:47 PM   #46
Neef
A Cliff Giant

TL, DR version -

us<number> was being nice and in-game mailed a kid some birthday presents. Parents over-reacted and thought he was a predator.
He told us, everyone started musing on how it's hard to be nice these days without being screwed over.
Republic decided to play the devil's advocate and half-way troll the thread.
People started spreading the love again.

- End TL,DR

There are still many people that play this game to have fun and to enjoy themselves. We are becoming a rare-breed, but we still become elated when we meet new friends and have a good time.
We don't focus on the legal aspects of it rather on the social interaction and the escapism.

There is no manual for parenting. Yes, the kid's parents did over-react. However, us<number> did nothing wrong by not asking the players age. There's really no need to as long as the player meets the guild requirements, be they maturity level, attendance, contribution, etc. Because it was a casual and social guild, there isn't much pressure and younger players can meet those requirements*. Raiding guilds typically have older players because it's generally hard for a 9 year old to set aside several hours at night to raid.

* - Yes there are requirements for casual/social guilds, they may not always be spelled out or called such. They really exist for any group in life.
06-28-09, 08:14 PM   #47
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Neef View Post
Raiding guilds typically have older players because it's generally hard for a 9 year old to set aside several hours at night to raid.
I'm pretty sure half of the reason is also because people generally don't want a nine-year-old hearing screaming on Ventrilo in the vein of "WHAT THE **** DID YOU DO THAT FOR, YOU ****FACED BABBOON?!?"

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
06-28-09, 10:24 PM   #48
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Neef View Post
TL, DR version -

us<number> was being nice and in-game mailed a kid some birthday presents. Parents over-reacted and thought he was a predator.
He told us, everyone started musing on how it's hard to be nice these days without being screwed over.
Republic decided to play the devil's advocate and half-way troll the thread.
People started spreading the love again.

- End TL,DR

There are still many people that play this game to have fun and to enjoy themselves. We are becoming a rare-breed, but we still become elated when we meet new friends and have a good time.
We don't focus on the legal aspects of it rather on the social interaction and the escapism.

There is no manual for parenting. Yes, the kid's parents did over-react. However, us<number> did nothing wrong by not asking the players age. There's really no need to as long as the player meets the guild requirements, be they maturity level, attendance, contribution, etc. Because it was a casual and social guild, there isn't much pressure and younger players can meet those requirements*. Raiding guilds typically have older players because it's generally hard for a 9 year old to set aside several hours at night to raid.

* - Yes there are requirements for casual/social guilds, they may not always be spelled out or called such. They really exist for any group in life.
This is probably the best post in the entire thread.
06-28-09, 10:25 PM   #49
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
I'm pretty sure half of the reason is also because people generally don't want a nine-year-old hearing screaming on Ventrilo in the vein of "WHAT THE **** DID YOU DO THAT FOR, YOU ****FACED BABBOON?!?"
I am so glad our raid leaders don't yell like that lol.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » A Strange Thing Happened Today