12-11-19, 12:26 PM   #1
PhilipPino
A Defias Bandit

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
what to do against curseforge abuse?

Hello,

I wrote a small Addon (or a simple function) and decided to do not bring it to curseforge.

Lua Code:
  1. function whynot(CurseForge)
  2.     if  CurseForge == Twitch and Twitch ==  Amazon then
  3.             return "The World of Gaming will die";
  4.     end
  5. end

But than I found my addon/idea 3 days later on CurseForge... and the best part: He also uploaded other addon/mods without permission, removed every source AND earn money with a donation email.

Arthas said: "We are too late... This entire person must be purged!"
I said: "But there is a report function..."

But even after 24h I reported 3 addons I dont think that a hyper capitalistic company like Amazon take care about it... After I looked over some addons its feels like 40% are uploadet not by the owner and they benefit with this.

Example:
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/super-duper-macro
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/dungeon-entrances (now original by owner, dont report)

I am definitely not the guy who want attention (i dont even play the Instashit realife game) but I hate it when OpenSource/Free Projects are end like this...

What we can do? And why Amazon are not affected by any EU rule?

Last edited by PhilipPino : 12-16-19 at 01:19 PM.
12-11-19, 01:30 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You can report the addons using the link on the addon page. If that doesn't work after a period of time, you can send a DMCA takedown notice. There are forms/templates online to help. You can also try to get in touch with anyone at Curseforge/Curse/Twitch on IRC. Kaelten is usually on. He can make sure you get in touch with the right people. But give it another day or so and then try to report it again.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-11-19, 06:24 PM   #3
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Attached is an image showing how to report an addon via Curseforge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curseforge reporting.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	9379  
12-11-19, 06:32 PM   #4
PhilipPino
A Defias Bandit

I know. this is the only reason I created a twitch account... but looks like they don't take care of that. you don't even get a confirmation mail or or a a function to see the state of your request.
12-11-19, 09:30 PM   #5
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I just checked for system messages on Curseforge as I can see those. What I don't see is any reports of any kind for anything.
12-12-19, 01:51 PM   #6
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I also reported it to them yesterday. On the top it should show a confirmation of the user report

Maybe just have to be patient, usually CurseForge takes pretty quick action on copyright infringement
12-13-19, 01:57 AM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
I also reported it to them yesterday. On the top it should show a confirmation of the user report

Maybe just have to be patient, usually CurseForge takes pretty quick action on copyright infringement
Tell me about it. I tried to put my XrystalUI addon startup on there which I said would be inspired by and future replacement for nUI ( which I am currently the only person maintaining it ... which is hard with outdated code rofl ) but they refused it .. so after several attempts at wording things nicely for them I just gave up. Despite their bug report system being that little bit more friendly ( sorry wowinterface ) I would rather work without a bug report system than to go through that for each potential addon I may do in the future rofl.
12-16-19, 01:28 PM   #8
PhilipPino
A Defias Bandit

Looks like they removed his projects (and the guy?) but without a message to the reporters ^^

After that I decided it to uploade it to curseforge (looks like the only way because the next amazon fanboy...) but now my upload is also rejected because of an non existent duplicate project

Thanks for the help.
12-16-19, 07:05 PM   #9
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by PhilipPino View Post
but now my upload is also rejected because of an non existent duplicate project
You can contact Curseforge Support regarding that, and they can sort out the mess

https://twitchpartnerships.force.com...contactsupport

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » what to do against curseforge abuse?