08-05-08, 10:13 PM   #321
Archippus
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by gothicknight View Post
Speil will there be options to turn off all those extra frames. This is gunna sound really stupid but i have no need for a focus frame, as i dont no what is is. I have been playin for about 3yrs and i still have no idea what a focus traget is and how it works
The focus frame is only visible (on the left side of the screen) if you have selected a focus. So, if you're not using the /focus capability, it shouldn't hurt anything. I'd imagine with the beta 2 design, it'll be the same idea... the frame will only be visible if a /focus is selected.

I only learned about /focus recently, myself. Wonderful little addition to the game. It essentially allows you to have 2 targets. I primarily use it with my Assist macro button. The macro is now "/assist focus", which makes it dynamic. I just make the main assist my focus on the way into a dungeon, and never have to worry about targeting him again to assist. I just click my Assist button.

08-05-08, 10:34 PM   #322
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Thank you for that. i have seen mods and people talkin about focus and i just thought focus was the target u r mousing over ROFL, but thank you for clearing that up fo rme

08-06-08, 12:13 AM   #323
spiel2001
nUI's Author

For those who are wondering where the BOOM!! is coming from when u r about to pull aggro, that is OMEN2. U can disable it through the options in the omen config menu
I was pretty sure it wasn't me that did that... thanks for the confirmation.

Speil will there be options to turn off all those extra frames. This is gunna sound really stupid but i have no need for a focus frame, as i dont no what is is. I have been playin for about 3yrs and i still have no idea what a focus traget is and how it works (the only frames i have ever used is player, pet, target, ToT and pet target as wells as party and raid frames.
Well... all of the frames only appear if the unit in question exists... so... things like mouseover, focus, etc don't appear unless you select a focus target or mouseover a mob. If you don't type "/focus" on a target, you won't see the frame. Likewise, if you're not mousing over a mob, there's no mouseover frame.

The mouseover frame is something I have been wanting to do for a long time... take trying to target mobs in an instance as an example, rather than have to click to see if the mob you've moused over is the one you want, you can see it just by having the mouse over it... if it's the one you want, click, otherwise move the mouse to find the one you want. The mouseover feature also lets you peek at health without changing targets.

Believe it or not even the ToTT (target of target of target) can be pretty handy if you know how to use it. Take a battleground for example... you're targeting a team member to give a heal... he's targeting a rogue who has stun locked another team member... you can click the rogue's target (the ToTT) to give that team member a quick heal before the rogue can finish him off. Follow? There are other examples, too... but I'll not waste the bandwidth to prattle on about them.

It's things like that that cause me to devote space to ToTT and with the panel I'm about to demonstate in another hour or two or so, you'll see that I'm actually using very little space for that... great benefit at a small price.

I do hope having all the unitframes look like that focus frame in your screens shots is an option as they look really sweet
I got a ton of feedback both on the boards and by e-mail... I even had one user call me up and chew on my ear for about an hour or so (kidding... it was a very productive conversation). In any event... wait until you see what I've done today. OMG I love it. I'll be posting a new set of screencaps as soon as I can.

Regardless this is still my favourite UI. I used to change UI's weekly now i dont give other UI's a second look. This is a great piece of work.

Thanks... that honestly means a lot. I work very hard on this and it always feels good to know it is appreciated.

08-06-08, 12:21 AM   #324
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Thank you for that. i have seen mods and people talkin about focus and i just thought focus was the target u r mousing over ROFL, but thank you for clearing that up fo rme
Focus is awesome for hunters, mages and the like. This is a good chance for me to describe how some of these piles of frames get used and have value, too...

example 1: A mage has CC duty on a mob in an instance. Target the mob, type "/focus" and now the focus frame appears with that mob locked in it. As soon as combat starts, the mage casts sheep, click on the tank's target in the group frame and starts wailing away.

All the while the mage's sheeped mob is still in the focus frame. A few seconds before the sheep spell expires, the mage clicks the focus frame to target the mob he's supposed to CC, casts his sheep spell and then clicks on the tanks target again.

No fuss... no muss... no fumbling.

Example 2: Hunter misdirect... you're in a 25 man raid and it's your job to help keep agro on the main tank. Target the tank before the fight, type "/focus" to make him your focus... now, you can fight away and every time your agro gets too high or your misdirect cools down, you just click misdirect and click the focus frame... bam... done. No target switching required. No accidentally casting MD on the healer because you were moused over the wrong raid frame in the heat of the moment... etc.

~smile~

08-06-08, 01:00 AM   #325
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
example 1: A mage has CC duty on a mob in an instance. Target the mob, type "/focus" and now the focus frame appears with that mob locked in it. As soon as combat starts, the mage casts sheep, click on the tank's target in the group frame and starts wailing away.

All the while the mage's sheeped mob is still in the focus frame. A few seconds before the sheep spell expires, the mage clicks the focus frame to target the mob he's supposed to CC, casts his sheep spell and then clicks on the tanks target again.
Or, even better, get Control Freak and lose the need to switch between the targets.

08-06-08, 03:05 AM   #326
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Exclamation Second pass at solo/player unit frames...

Okay... as promised, here's a look at the results of all of the feedback I've gotten since I posted the first peek at the new unit frames last night... I've done my best to try and take into account as much as possible.

The main thing you'll notice is that I went to vertical bars and sized the unit frames to actually cover the area that they are using. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get past the idea that the buff and debuff icons needed to be outside of the frames... but, now that I have, what you'll see is the frames are large and open feeling. The space you see inside the frame is where the buff and debuff icons will be located. Unfortunately, I had them turned off at the time I did these screencaps as I was trying to test another part of the code and didn't want the interaction.

The first screencap shows all of the primary units with a focus selected and a mouseover target. The second screencap just shows the four normal frames -- Player, Pet, Target and Target of Target -- and the last one shows a typical "in-combat" look while in a battleground.

A word about the buff/debuff zone in the interior of the frames... the rule is this... auras that are to the player's detriment appear at the top inside the frame and grow from the corner next to the health/power bars horizontally to the portrait, then start a new row. Auras which are to the player's benefit start on the bottom in the corner next to the health/power bars and grow hoizontally to the portrait, then up.

So... if you are targeting a mob, any buffs on that mob will be on top and your debuffs at the bottom. Anything on top is a cue to dispell. If you are targeting a friendly player, any debuffs you can dispell will be on top and your buffs on the bottom... etc... the frames can be optioned to show all auras, your auras or only those you can dispel.

Again... I'd like your feedback. Though, to be really honest, I'm very much diggin' this new frame design and it's going to take some effort to talk me out of it. ~smile~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SoloUnitPanel_Mouseover.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	1815  Click image for larger version

Name:	SoloUnitPanel_NoMouseover.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	1816  Click image for larger version

Name:	SoloUnitPanel_ToTT.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	1817  

Last edited by spiel2001 : 08-06-08 at 03:10 AM.

08-06-08, 03:14 AM   #327
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

About the unit frames...

Frankly, overall I love it. There's just one thing nagging on me... is there a way to maybe put an edge around the portraits? The asthetics of them just abruptly ending at the buff/debuff space, frankly messes with my minor OCD. Maybe just a box or a frame to encapsuleate the portraits for cleanliness. otherwise it's all good in the hood. And under the hood. Probably over the hood too. Wow, I'm tired.

08-06-08, 03:38 AM   #328
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Ratheri View Post
About the unit frames...

Frankly, overall I love it. There's just one thing nagging on me... is there a way to maybe put an edge around the portraits? The asthetics of them just abruptly ending at the buff/debuff space, frankly messes with my minor OCD. Maybe just a box or a frame to encapsuleate the portraits for cleanliness. otherwise it's all good in the hood. And under the hood. Probably over the hood too. Wow, I'm tired.
Your wish is my command... how's this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SoloUnitPanel_NoMouseover.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	1818  

08-06-08, 04:17 AM   #329
zirotto
A Kobold Labourer
Premium Member
It looks good now, love that you can also see your health % mana now at the unitframes . Can't wait to get my hands on it!

08-06-08, 05:28 AM   #330
Coolit
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Its looking good!

At first I wasn't sure if I liked the overall design aesthetic compaired to beta 1 as I felt the minimap position and integration made B1 look amazing but after seeing the latest screenshots and explication I cant wait to try it!

Any chance you could post a few pics showing how you've integrated the minimap/combat log into the right frame?

08-06-08, 07:16 AM   #331
pacientK
A Kobold Labourer
Well... Im playing classes without pets. And looks like now ill have more space wasted. Also i like idea of seeing my "focus" in right place but it seems too big. I have used to old player/target and target/tot positioning, it was actually looking nice and original.

08-06-08, 08:12 AM   #332
MeqTrader
An Aku'mai Servant

OK,

a few questions about the new Unit Frames, will they still show the spell/action beeing cat like you have it today. As a multiboxer I really like that particular feature so I can see that my actions are carried out by just a glimps at the party UF's.

Furtehr more is there a possibility to get a glimps of the raid UFs so I can see what wonderfull work you have done with those or are those not finished yet ?

08-06-08, 08:42 AM   #333
Kailef
A Fallenroot Satyr

~drools all over himself in anticipation~

Oh, man, this is gonna be good. Seriously.

08-06-08, 09:16 AM   #334
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Awsome

08-06-08, 10:35 AM   #335
noble8
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but i hope you can have the option for vertical and horizontal.

What do you say...

08-06-08, 12:55 PM   #336
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Wow...just ... WOW.

I've seen a lot of traffic to the nUI forum on WoWI lately, but always steared clear, myself. I never tried Mazzle, and don't think it looks useful enough to want to put myself through the wringer just to get a decent UI. Most other compilations and UIs are just slapped-together collections of mods and some SavedVars. So I didn't think nUI was going to have any real attraction, but I got sick of my 1 minute character load time cuz I have so many mods. So I made a copy of my WoW folder, deleted Interface and WTF, loaded in nUI, tried it out, and was quite thoroughly blown away.

Yes, I had to reintroduce several mods (I decided to try out combuctor, in place of ArkInventory that I've been using), Cartographer, QuestGuru, Clique, QuestHelper, MSBT, Titan, Atlas, etc., but they worked just fine! On that note, those mods all work seemlessly with nUI. If your users want that functionality, I would encourage you to let them download the addon. I don't see any reason to integrate QH into nUI by default. It's a giant database, that will vastly increase the size of the UI. People may be playing their 70 doing raiding or pvp, long done with quests. As I see it, your UI is just the stuff that people will need, and a good framework to add individual customizations into.

However, before I can delete my current Interface and replace with nUI, I have some concerns. I know v2.0 is in beta, but I can't read the entire forum just now, so forgive me if something's already been asked / explained.

1) I've grown accustomed to being able to see party frames and Omen when running heroics. Can we / will we be able to configure the UI such that they can both be visible simultaneously?

2) Clicking to cycle toggle the right panel's modules (v1) was growing tedious. Can we get a right-click option with a menu of info modules available? (Similar to r-clicking on the frame title in Recount to select the report to view) Or does that already exist in v2?

3) I've gotten quite accustomed to Quartz, Elkano's BuffBars, and Grid for various reasons, and I like the customizability those offer me. Is it / will it be possible to disable the portions of your UI that control the buffs, the raid frames, and the cast bar?

4) I hate HUDs. Can I turn yours off (once v2 is out so I can see my target's health)?

lol Well, as I've been writing this post, it has become obvious that I'm rather pickier about this than I thought... I hope you're not offended, I really like your UI. Don't try to pull your "your wish is my command" thing here, I know how much work all of this would entail. In reflection, I think I'll probably just have to find a panel that looks as nice as yours, recreate the basic setup, and create my own UI. /sigh

08-06-08, 12:57 PM   #337
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Coolit View Post
Its looking good!

At first I wasn't sure if I liked the overall design aesthetic compaired to beta 1 as I felt the minimap position and integration made B1 look amazing but after seeing the latest screenshots and explication I cant wait to try it!

Any chance you could post a few pics showing how you've integrated the minimap/combat log into the right frame?

Coolit -- once I have the bugs shaken out of the minimap and combat log stuff, I'll post it.

08-06-08, 01:01 PM   #338
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by pacientK View Post
Well... Im playing classes without pets. And looks like now ill have more space wasted. Also i like idea of seeing my "focus" in right place but it seems too big. I have used to old player/target and target/tot positioning, it was actually looking nice and original.

pacientK --

THe actual size of the dashboard or amount of screen area nUI uses has not changed. So even though the pet frame doesn't overlap the player frame anymore and now creates a "blank space" when you don't have a pet, you are not using any more or less space than you did with Beta 1... I've just rearranged how I'm using the space I had.

The focus being in the top left corner sucked in the beta 1. Everything was either in the center on the HUD or on the dashboard. The focus was left floating out in space by itself and was way too far away from everthing to be able to actively monitor it. The new location puts the focus dead at the center of attention on the dashboard which, imo, is the right thing to do.

And I assure you it's still quite original ~smile~

08-06-08, 01:04 PM   #339
spiel2001
nUI's Author

MeqTrader --

Are you talking about the casting bars? Or are you talking about the cooldowns and player spells shown in the HUD? The cooldowns and player spells are still in the HUD and one of the screencaps I posted showed the casting bar in action on the player unit frame. If you're talking about something else, then I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

As for the raid frame... not ready yet. Hopefully it will be done today, maybe tomorrow.

Originally Posted by MeqTrader View Post
OK,

a few questions about the new Unit Frames, will they still show the spell/action beeing cat like you have it today. As a multiboxer I really like that particular feature so I can see that my actions are carried out by just a glimps at the party UF's.

Furtehr more is there a possibility to get a glimps of the raid UFs so I can see what wonderfull work you have done with those or are those not finished yet ?

08-06-08, 01:05 PM   #340
noble8
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

I think I'll probably just have to find a panel that looks as nice as yours, recreate the basic setup, and create my own UI. /sigh
STOP!

Most of what you have commented on and/or requested is upcoming in Beta 2, Spiel will give u specifics, and reading previous posts will give you the answer.

Quickly
1) Probably in beta 2, ask Spiel.
2) Yes, beta 2.
3) Probably when Spiel gets gui done, again beta 2.
4) Can be done with changing .lua in current version (check previous posts for method), and in beta 2 gui option will be available.

All comments/suggestions welcome as you will see mentioned in every post by Spiel.

P.s. If you didn't know Spiel is the author ;p. Great work on beta 2 mate.

Last edited by noble8 : 08-06-08 at 01:07 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement