Quantcast I dream of a new computer - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
03-26-15, 02:53 AM   #1
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,838
I dream of a new computer

I've had a MSI GX70 gaming laptop for a few years now and I'm already looking for a new system for recording and editing game footage.

In the past, I've stuck with using AMD processors, but in this build, I want to keep an open mind and figure out which brand would give me the most out of what I want. I've already decided on most of the other components, but feedback is welcome.

Note: This is a dream build and specs may change as I get closer to affording it.
The usage priority in which the components have been chosen is gaming, recording/streaming, then video editing/rendering. This system will be expected to drive multiple 4K or better monitors, but will only run a game on one. VR gaming is a possibility and must be supported as well.



Build Components:


As for recording and video editing, I currently record with OBS and use Fraps as a backup. I edit with HitFilm Express 2 that I managed to legitimately grab a free promotional copy of. I plan on switching over to use Dxtory for recording and Adobe Premiere CC for editing later on.



Edits:
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)

Last edited by SDPhantom : 03-27-15 at 11:43 AM.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 08:50 AM   #2
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,289
Looks nice, i would like to share some of my personal experience with some of your components.

I'm not sure why do you need that much ram, but i would just halve it. Having 64 GB won't speed up nothing, it's much better to get lower ammount but better quality rams, i would suggest you the Corsair ones.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory/dominator-platinum

The Asus Rampage V Extreme board have a power in socket in the bottom, which made to prevent power fluctuations in the board. If you have a smaller case you won't be able to plug the cable in! I think this could be an issue with the case you choose.

The WD black drives are really noisy, i mean REALLY NOISY, and there is no way to reduce it's sound by software because it's made to be noisy. I'm able to hear my WD black's sound when it's working from the living room, which is like 25 meters away from my work room. Also when it's low on space it's speed is really gets decreased to even to like 1-2000 kpbs, which is really annoying. It's base speed is like 150 MB per sec, which can beat some low end SSD. But if you don't care about the noise (it has no noise when it's not in use) and you never use more then 70-80% of it's capacity it's a good choise.

Also i would highly suggest to you to replace the stock fans from whatever cooling you get with:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=p...s_id=84&lng=en

If you wanna go with a liquid cooling i would suggest some of the Cooler Master ones, i currently use this:

http://us.coolermaster.com/product/D...pton-280l.html

Because you can win 10-20 C and 10-20 dB with it, and you can run them on a lot lower RPM, which helps to get less dust into the system.

This is a 4770K here:


With this budget you need to forget AMD. :P

Last edited by Resike : 03-26-15 at 09:03 AM.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 10:11 AM   #3
10leej
A Molten Giant
 
10leej's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 574
If your looking to spen that much money why not use an i5 cpu and step up the storage capacity on the ssd? the i5 isn't that much slower than the i7 and really the price difference isn't worth it.

for the cpu cooler, why not use a cooler master hyper v12? it's really the best one out there

case I prefer the fractal design define r5 myself much better build quality than any corsair case i've seen.

edit:
didn't see the second ssd
__________________
Tweets Website

Last edited by 10leej : 03-26-15 at 10:17 AM.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 11:51 AM   #4
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,289
I would go with one of this cases, they are really pricy but it's much better fit for this setup:

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/cosmos-se/
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower/cosmos-2/
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 12:04 PM   #5
Fizzlemizz
I did that?
 
Fizzlemizz's Avatar
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,134
The Cosmos II weighs an absolute ton and is very tall so make sure of the height if you're planning on putting it under a desk and make sure of your back if you planning on lifting onto said desk very often.
__________________
Fizzlemizz
Maintainer of Discord Unit Frames and Discord Art.
Author of FauxMazzle, FauxMazzleHUD and Move Pad Plus.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 12:07 PM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,838
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
I'm not sure why do you need that much ram, but i would just halve it. Having 64 GB won't speed up nothing.
The reason for maxing out the RAM is solely because of the plan to use it for video editing and rendering as well as gaming. I know RAM has nothing to do with speed...until you fill it up with what tasks you are running. I'm also trying to cover if I want to record gameplay while rendering previous footage.



Originally Posted by Resike View Post
The WD black drives are really noisy, i mean REALLY NOISY, and there is no way to reduce it's sound by software because it's made to be noisy.
I doubt it's actually a design point for them to make it noisy, it's just inherent to being a HDD. At any rate, I know there are many people that care about sound levels, I've never been one of them.



Originally Posted by Resike View Post
With this budget you need to forget AMD. :P
I was still giving them a chance in case their higher clock rate could outperform on a per thread basis. I know AMD has been known to be sloppy with their clock cycles while Intel is more efficient. This is one reason why we no longer compare clock speeds as much as we used to. Otherwise, I would've chosen AMD as the definitive solution.



Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
If your looking to spen that much money why not use an i5 cpu? the i5 isn't that much slower than the i7 and really the price difference isn't worth it.
All of the 5th gen chips currently run 4 threads. 4th gen i5's have at most 8 threads. The CPU I had listed is an Extreme Edition and runs 16 threads. Even though games usually only run 2-4 threads, video editing/rendering benefits greatly from having more.



Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
why not use a cooler master hyper v12? it's really the best one out there
I haven't seen one listed on their main site. I only listed the V8 GTS as a last minute alternate to an AIO water cooler.



Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
case I prefer the fractal design define r5 myself much better build quality than any corsair case i've seen.
The case choice was a purely cosmetic one. The reviews I've seen do point out the doors tend to bulge out when subjected to pressure and with the doors open, the case has a tendency to wobble. The sad fact is, not many cases are made to look more than flat boxes anymore. In the latest revision of this build list, I was looking at the Cooler Master Cosmos case line as a possibility.



Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
didn't see the second ssd
The point of the M.2 SSD was to offload the OS onto the faster PCIe-based slot for quicker boot times. Since they are made with half the capacity of what I could find with the SATA models, I chose the smallest to fit its planned use and cut wasted cost.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)

Last edited by SDPhantom : 03-26-15 at 01:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 02:08 PM   #7
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
The reason for maxing out the RAM is solely because of the plan to use it for video editing and rendering as well as gaming. I know RAM has nothing to do with speed...until you fill it up with what tasks you are running. I'm also trying to cover if I want to record gameplay while rendering previous footage.
Still there is not a single program which would really need that much ram, unless it's terribly written.
Unless you want to run multiple virtual operating systems, 32Gig is more then enough for everything.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I doubt it's actually a design point for them to make it noisy, it's just inherent to being a HDD. At any rate, I know there are many people that care about sound levels, I've never been one of them.
Each HDD has an option to reduce some of it's performace for better noise aquistic. This option is disabled in every WD Black HDD.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I was still giving them a chance in case their higher clock rate could outperform on a per thread basis. I know AMD has been known to be sloppy with their clock cycles while Intel is more efficient. This is one reason why we no longer compare clock speeds as much as we used to. Otherwise, I would've chosen AMD as the definitive solution.
Doesn't really matter you still don't wan't to double your TDP for a bit better single core performance.

Last edited by Resike : 03-26-15 at 02:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 02:12 PM   #8
JDoubleU00
A Scalebane Royal Guard
 
JDoubleU00's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 422
Ram

I agree with your choice of how much ram. Video editing does require ram and multi-threading is a big plus. Maybe you might want to run a VM someday. Not critical to gaming, but what about a DVD drive?
__________________
Author of JWExpBar and JWRepBar.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 02:20 PM   #9
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by rocnroll View Post
I agree with your choice of how much ram. Video editing does require ram and multi-threading is a big plus. Maybe you might want to run a VM someday. Not critical to gaming, but what about a DVD drive?
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 04:33 PM   #10
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant
 
Tonyleila's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 759
I woud go with the Corsair Hydro Series™ H110i GT I'm running it in my PC since 1y with 4 fans (push and pull). For the Data drive I woud go with Seagate Enterprise Capacity ST6000NM0024 (6tb and much faster) if you have the money if not go with the 500gb SSD and get the Seagate anyway :P It woud not make much difference in games if you install in on the Seagate.

This are my results for the 6TB:


and this is for the 4tb WB black:
__________________
Author of: LeilaUI and Aurora: Missing Textures
__________________

Last edited by Tonyleila : 03-26-15 at 04:40 PM.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 05:26 PM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Petrah's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,988
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
The reason for maxing out the RAM is solely because of the plan to use it for video editing and rendering as well as gaming. I know RAM has nothing to do with speed...until you fill it up with what tasks you are running. I'm also trying to cover if I want to record gameplay while rendering previous footage.
Edit: Disregard.. I misread and thought it said 16GB. You'll love the extra RAM when doing things like that. I bought the same amount for basically the same reasons. My sweetie has the same amount as well on his PC (work at home programmer).

I agree with the previous poster. You will not need 64GB or 32GB of ram for what you're doing. Our server downstairs runs 64GB, but he's a programmer and needs that much.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I doubt it's actually a design point for them to make it noisy, it's just inherent to being a HDD. At any rate, I know there are many people that care about sound levels, I've never been one of them.

I've had my HD Black for a little over a year now and mine is not noisy at all.
__________________
♪~ ( ) I My Sonos!
AddOn Authors: If your addon spams the chat box with "Addon v8.3.4.5.3 now loaded!", please add an option to disable it!

Last edited by Petrah : 03-26-15 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Because I cannot read today.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 05:43 PM   #12
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant
 
Tonyleila's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 759
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I agree with the previous poster. You will not need 64GB or 32GB of ram for what you're doing. Our server downstairs runs 64GB, but he's a programmer and needs that much.
I disagree. I was recently working on my protfolio and had to work in some TIFFs (zip compressed) and well ... Photoshop + Indesign just used 28 of my 32gb ram.

BTW for the housing I woud go with http://imgur.com/gallery/DSdwo
__________________
Author of: LeilaUI and Aurora: Missing Textures
__________________

Last edited by Tonyleila : 03-26-15 at 07:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 05:57 PM   #13
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,838
Originally Posted by rocnroll View Post
Not critical to gaming, but what about a DVD drive?
I do plan on including an optical drive. I won't be burning discs, so a generic Blu-ray combo drive will be adequate enough. As picking up a generic drive from any store would cover it, I didn't think it was critical enough to list.



Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
I woud go with the Corsair Hydro Series™ H110i GT I'm running it in my PC since 1y with 4 fans (push and pull).
I was leaning toward the AIO at first, but I have some concerns with the lifespan of the pump after going over some reviews. I guess I'm just an old geezer that still expects the systems I build to last 10+ years.



Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
For the Data drive I woud go with Seagate Enterprise Capacity ST6000NM0024 (6tb and much faster) if you have the money.
Thanks for the numbers. I'll go ahead and update the build list to use this drive.



Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
BTW for the housing I woud go with http://imgur.com/gallery/DSdwo
I like that, but honestly, if it were like any of my other Lego creations, it'll end up falling apart if I try to move it anywhere.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 07:34 PM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Petrah's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,988
Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
I Disregard. I was recently working on my protfolio and had to work in some TIFFs (zip compressed) and well ... Photoshop + Indesign just used 28 of my 32gb ram.
Did you mean disagree?


If so then perhaps something is wrong with your setup. I can run the game on one monitor, Photoshop, Lightroom, and camera software on the second and not have any issues with RAM.


On his work comp he can run a compiler, development environments, a few virtual machines, and a stupid crazy insane amount of browser windows and tabs (no kidding, I've never seen anyone do that many) with 16GB and he has no issues whatsoever.
__________________
♪~ ( ) I My Sonos!
AddOn Authors: If your addon spams the chat box with "Addon v8.3.4.5.3 now loaded!", please add an option to disable it!

Last edited by Petrah : 03-26-15 at 07:36 PM.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 07:42 PM   #15
JDoubleU00
A Scalebane Royal Guard
 
JDoubleU00's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 422
Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
I Disregard. I was recently working on my protfolio and had to work in some TIFFs (zip compressed) and well ... Photoshop + Indesign just used 28 of my 32gb ram.

BTW for the housing I woud go with http://imgur.com/gallery/DSdwo
That is awesome. How much I wonder.
__________________
Author of JWExpBar and JWRepBar.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 07:52 PM   #16
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant
 
Tonyleila's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 759
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Did you mean disagree?
If so then perhaps something is wrong with your setup. I can run the game on one monitor, Photoshop, Lightroom, and camera software on the second and not have any issues with RAM.
Disagree yes sorry

Have you ever worked on 36 megapixel psd file with layers? Photoshop CC is only using 325mb with no file opend in it. As soon as I open a 1,3gb PSD file its using 12gb.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I like that, but honestly, if it were like any of my other Lego creations, it'll end up falling apart if I try to move it anywhere.
Shure you woud have to use glue for it
__________________
Author of: LeilaUI and Aurora: Missing Textures
__________________

Last edited by Tonyleila : 03-26-15 at 07:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 08:44 PM   #17
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
I disagree. I was recently working on my protfolio and had to work in some TIFFs (zip compressed) and well ... Photoshop + Indesign just used 28 of my 32gb ram.

BTW for the housing I woud go with http://imgur.com/gallery/DSdwo
Video editing and rendering doesn't requires that much ram. Also memory allocation and usage are both different things, just because a program is programmed to allocate 90% of the free phisical memory it doesn't mean it really need that much. Khmkhm Windows systems.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 09:36 PM   #18
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,838
This is meant to be an enthusiast build, meaning there doesn't need to be a logical reason behind everything. Just throw in as much as you can.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)

Last edited by SDPhantom : 03-26-15 at 10:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 10:44 PM   #19
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
This is meant to be an enthusiast build, meaning there doesn't need to be a logical reason behind everything. Just throw in as much as you can.
I understand that but there are sill pointless thigns to do, like you probably could get the same performace by 99% of the time if you don't even unbox thoose rams and keep them in the top drawer.
  Reply With Quote
03-26-15, 11:19 PM   #20
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,838
It's always going to be a hot debate, but the more things you do at once, the more RAM you need. All the charts you find on the internet will only show if you do that one thing and nothing else.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » I dream of a new computer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off