12-25-14, 11:37 AM   #1
Thormind
A Kobold Labourer
Quest addon using chat box

Hello everybody.

I'm looking for an addon which can do the following:

When speaking to a quest giver, shows the ID of the quest next to its title. I know there is an addon which displays the quest level next to the quest title. What I want is exactly the same thing, but the quest ID instead of the level.

When accepting a quest, shows the quest description and objectives in the chat box in yellow text, like when you log in and you see in the chat box, for example : Welcome to patch 5.3 escalation.

When speaking again to the quest giver without completing all the objectives, shows the text that the quest giver says when you speak to it without the objectives completed (I think it is called requestText), in yellow text.

When completing the quest, shows the rewardText if the quest in yellow text.

When entering /des <quest's ID> , shows the description of the quest.

When entering /obj <quest's ID> , shows the objectives of the quest.

I'm looking for an addon which can allow me to do questing without the quest log or/and the quest interface. I do not want the addon to remove it, though.

Why do I want this?
Because I'd like to be able to see the quests descriptions, objectives, etc. By scrolling in the chat box. I know its strange, but for me it gives the impression to really interact with the quest givers.

I already tried to code it myself. But my programming skills are for Java, html, css, xml, dtd and xsl. I've never coded in Lua before. It took me about half an hour to understand how to code a slash command. So that's why I'm asking your help here. If what I'm looking for already exists, please post the link to it.

Thank you.
12-26-14, 11:39 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Thormind View Post
When speaking to a quest giver, shows the ID of the quest next to its title. I know there is an addon which displays the quest level next to the quest title. What I want is exactly the same thing, but the quest ID instead of the level.
Easily possible.

When accepting a quest, shows the quest description and objectives in the chat box in yellow text, like when you log in and you see in the chat box, for example : Welcome to patch 5.3 escalation.
Possible, and not very difficult, but I'm not aware of any existing addons that do that, and have a hard time imagining why you would want to scroll through 40+ lines of text in your chat frame for every quest you pick up. I'm not sure how text in the chat frame is more immersive than text in a dedicated NPC dialog frame -- it's still just text that you're reading, just less conveniently in every way I can think of.

When speaking again to the quest giver without completing all the objectives, shows the text that the quest giver says when you speak to it without the objectives completed (I think it is called requestText), in yellow text.
Also possible, and also not very hard. In both cases, you'd just grab the text from the quest frame, break it up into chunks no longer than 255 characters, and dump the chunks in order into the chat frame.

When completing the quest, shows the rewardText if the quest in yellow text.
Quest rewards are already printed in the chat frame in yellow text. If you're not seeing them, you've either turned off the System channel, or have another addon blocking those messages.

When entering /des <quest's ID> , shows the description of the quest.

When entering /obj <quest's ID> , shows the objectives of the quest.
Both of these would rely on either having the specified quest in your quest log (easy) or building and maintaining a complete database of every quest's description and reward text (lots of work, would be incredibly gigantic, and would only work for English-language players).

Last edited by Phanx : 12-28-14 at 01:59 AM.
12-27-14, 12:13 AM   #3
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I'm about 95% certain that this is not possible, and you can't get the ID for a quest until it's actually in your quest log.
I believe GetQuestID does exactly this.
12-27-14, 01:08 PM   #4
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Just a side comment: Wholly displays the questId in Blizzard's frames for quests. Mousing over that questId shows Wholly's tooltip with all its goodies.
12-28-14, 01:58 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
I believe GetQuestID does exactly this.
Indeed it does. I don't think this existed when I was initially working with quest stuff back in Wrath, though. Edited my previous post.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Quest addon using chat box