10-18-08, 06:16 PM   #81
Lord_Twilight
A Defias Bandit
I'm glad to see some agree. Mazzle UI is wonderful, but where it is now is unbearable for me. No code should be patched together like it is right now. A fresh start is needed and I can't wait for it to be started. Those of you who initially wanted to update Mazzle UI, please create this group to make a new UI mod intended to feel as good or better then it.

Please update us as this progresses.
10-18-08, 09:44 PM   #82
bricks139
A Murloc Raider
here is a proper fix for the cartogropher addon --http://niodesign.com/Cartographer/Cartographer3.0.2.fix.rar

It was not fixed by the developer from what i haave read the community did a fix on it and it works perfect, so hope it helps out
10-19-08, 01:43 AM   #83
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For what it's worth, here's my advice.

If you want to start from scratch, I'd do it only because you want to have total freedom to do what you want, without dealing with the constraints that I set up. If you're doing it to save time or because you think it will be more efficient, I think you'll be pursuing a red herring. The things that are painful, time-consuming and brittle about a project of this nature are going to be just as, if not more, painful if you start from a scratch. I also don't think you'll be getting any leaner or meaner with a new project. That's mostly a function of the add-ons, not the parts you'd be rewriting.

My guess is that a lot of the difficulty you're feeling right now is a function of having to figure out and work with someone else's code, which is always awkward and cumbersome in the beginning. Don't get me wrong. I think there are a few good reasons to start from scratch on (freedom, perhaps more modularity), but I'd make sure you were looking at it accurately before spending a ton of time on it. For example, if I knew then what I knew now, i.e. if I had been able to look at it accurately, I would have never started the project to begin with.
10-19-08, 02:38 AM   #84
Ratselblitz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

wow - that's motivating... <sigh>

So Mazzle - if the project is something you'd never have started knowing what you know now - why the "conditions" to using your code?

You don't play Wow, you don't care about the UI you created, you don't want to work on or support the UI you created - you say you've never made any money either - why do you care what other people do with your code.

Release it GPL and let others pickup where you've left off...
10-19-08, 09:49 AM   #85
Ironfather
A Murloc Raider
Ratselblitz - please start a new thread for that topic - all due respect to all parties, that is a topic all unto itself and this one really needs to stay clean to working through the problem at hand. Thanks. Just trying to keep land mines out of this thread!

Mazzle - your pints [erh 'points' no, wait, seriously, some pints would help here too] are valid - which is why I recommended we assess what is working, what is not, patch if we can (sometimes, breaks are final), and then look to see whether folks want to genuinely contribute to a longer term project to build a new UI.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Mazzifier being the harder part, a lot about the addons -- imho and xp, a long-term project that is open source, and has unpaid labor has as its greatest challenge: labor force. There is pretty much no coding task that I find daunting or 'impossible'. If it can be described in English, it can be coded.

The make or break of a program (collection of many projects over its lifetime) is the labor force.

Brem outlined three areas that need immediate revisions. I asked for volunteers to take lead on each of those three, none posted here.

Bruj0 has what appears to be a functional Mazzle up and running - I'd be interested to hear/see more of where that is going. (e.g. wondering what you are using to get those vertical bars out of pitbull!)

I believe the current 'trend' is to patch MazzleUI and then assemble a new UI team. The two rosters are not necessarily the same. The one underlying thing that needs to happen, is communication so that we can manage the patching process.

If you are working on a piece, please post here so that we can coordinate / not waste resources redundantly. See post above ref 3 starter points - please advise who is 'on them'.

= )

/thanks [target]
10-19-08, 11:19 AM   #86
bruj0
An Aku'mai Servant

Ive been asked for a copy of the UI i got and here it is:

http://rapidshare.com/files/155532951/myUI.rar.html

It has the relevant addons that im using plus the SavedVariables folder with the relevant configurations. Im using a resolution of 1280x1024.

The vertical bars in pitbull are made trought he configuration of each var, modifing the vertical and horizontal values.

The big thing missing is the hotspots and the individual party frames, which cannot be done with pitbull. Im currently looking at oUF and it seems very primissing.

Cheers

edit: I got Hotspots working with kgpanels
edit2: I think i got the "panels are red" on agro feature

Last edited by bruj0 : 10-19-08 at 12:52 PM.
10-19-08, 03:15 PM   #87
Aygen
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Ratselblitz View Post
So Mazzle - if the project is something you'd never have started knowing what you know now - why the "conditions" to using your code?

You don't play Wow, you don't care about the UI you created, you don't want to work on or support the UI you created - you say you've never made any money either - why do you care what other people do with your code.

Release it GPL and let others pickup where you've left off...
That will never happen, you're barking up the wrong tree, Lol, etc.. etc.. etc..

I completely agree with you, but this horse has been beaten dead so much that we could be playing the xylophone on its bare ribs by now.
10-19-08, 05:13 PM   #88
divstator
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Does anybody remember what the upper right hot spot in the target window used to do? The one with the "mail" icon?
10-19-08, 05:26 PM   #89
Charybdis
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by divstator View Post
Does anybody remember what the upper right hot spot in the target window used to do? The one with the "mail" icon?
I believe it was whisper the target.
10-19-08, 05:34 PM   #90
divstator
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ok, thanks much
10-19-08, 08:27 PM   #91
Mostrarskegg
A Fallenroot Satyr
Top left - Inspect
Top Right - Whisper
Bottom Left - Follow
Bottom Right - Trade
10-20-08, 11:06 PM   #92
ValorianX
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Mazzle

I am not a programmer, although I have been able to input the patches into the LUA files when told what to do. I would be happy to help as a tester since I love this UI and have one of each toon. In the interem, is there a listing of the button layouts? I am so used to using them that I am having trouble playing without it lol. I do know I will have to add the new moves in to the layouts.
10-21-08, 07:56 AM   #93
silentdave
A Defias Bandit

The aggro indicatator should still be fine in MazzleUI (i used it as inspiration for my eepanels aggro alerter and expanded on it to change color on pet-aggro). It is dependent on banzailib 1.1 which still incidently works as intended in 3.0. I used to use mazzleui a bit back and got hooked by poisoner (of all things, i find it invaluable). these days i use a photek inspired ui, but if ya want me to post up the aggro indicator script i use in eepanels2 then drop me a message. Also I now manage poisoner (now "posioner 3") and have it sorted for 3.0, yes its on here and also on curse (as soon as the new file is approved anyway).
10-21-08, 11:30 AM   #94
Xaottic
A Murloc Raider
:mad:

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz View Post

Xaottic, you do not have permission to re-release or use any part of the MazzleUI code or data in any project or derivative project. The code in the project is not in the public domain and comes with a clear copyright notice as well as information on how to contact me about getting permission.

A bunch of you guys seem to be getting ahead of yourselves. Two people have contacted me about releasing a new core or bug fix patch. If they are interested, I will work with them to keep a workable version out there in the same way that I have worked with several others before them, most recently DocEvl.
Wow, just wow Mazz, how very Apple of you

First of all look at the context of what we are doing here. I was offering to those that were working on patching / fixing which what this forum post is all about, not the general public. We are trying to get broken outdated code working again and make things easier to fix and maintain going forward. If your going to have a pickle and don't want us working together and sharing ideas then come out and say it and we can let what once a great project wither away into obscurity.

I been a user and a supporter of you and this project right from the very begining, and to have this come from you in this forum was very disturbing.
10-21-08, 11:53 AM   #95
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Hey, fixing a code is one thing. But releasing a part of a code (just the mob database for instance) that you fixed under you're name is another thing.

So releasing fixes for mazzle is no problem.
10-21-08, 11:57 AM   #96
Xaottic
A Murloc Raider
I had ZERO intentions of doing that.

Believe it or not there are people in this world that are not out for personal gain or glory. All they want is to keep things progressing for the benifit of everyone.

Last edited by Xaottic : 10-21-08 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added after thought
10-21-08, 12:11 PM   #97
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Xaottic View Post
I had ZERO intentions of doing that.

Believe it or not there are people in this world that are not out for personal gain or glory. All they want is to keep things progressing for the benifit of everyone.
But then it should be no big deal.

Fixing the mob database = good
Change it to a single addon for faster and easier bug fixes = don't know, Mazzle has to decide if he likes that
Re-Release it under you're name = bad

(at least that is what I understood *g*)
10-21-08, 12:26 PM   #98
Hoonsy
A Murloc Raider
Button Layouts

Well, if you want, I'll do the button layouts, since I allready planed to do that after I stopped the BC-Spells addon.
10-21-08, 02:17 PM   #99
Xaottic
A Murloc Raider
Update

For the record, the context menu has been almost completely rewritten and is working (cept paging has a peculiarity with it). I will be retaining it until things get figured out here.
10-21-08, 06:26 PM   #100
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xaottic View Post
Wow, just wow Mazz, how very Apple of you

First of all look at the context of what we are doing here. I was offering to those that were working on patching / fixing which what this forum post is all about, not the general public. We are trying to get broken outdated code working again and make things easier to fix and maintain going forward. If your going to have a pickle and don't want us working together and sharing ideas then come out and say it and we can let what once a great project wither away into obscurity.

I been a user and a supporter of you and this project right from the very begining, and to have this come from you in this forum was very disturbing.
I can't read your mind. You specifically mentioned ripping out code and and putting them in their own Ace3-based add-ons. That's suggestive of re-appropriating code, and is certainly not a necessary condition for a bug fix patch. I'm covering my bases, and making it absolutely clear that such re-appropriated code is not a permissable thing to release in any form.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MazzleUI 3.0/WOTLK Devs Only