02-21-12, 04:34 AM   #1
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
New Idea, But Is It Good?

Finished a basic unit frame but I'm struggling with a proper cast bar atm.

What do you think?
02-21-12, 04:39 AM   #2
unlimit
Lookin' Good

It's very good! :P

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **
02-21-12, 07:49 AM   #3
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Image broke.
02-21-12, 10:20 AM   #4
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Dude. Direct image linking is prohibited by that provider. Thus sharing the link solves the issue:
http://postimage.org/image/hajkdezqh/

I dislike the font, but the concept is nice. Do it in fantasy style and it will be perfect.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 02-21-12 at 10:22 AM.
02-21-12, 10:27 AM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Kind of reminds me of an alarm clock hehe. Hard to say weather or not Id like it as I would need to see the entire UI to be able to tell if Id like it.
02-21-12, 11:29 AM   #6
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Imageshack was down last night so I went to Google and chose the next best thing.

Here's a "proper" image:

02-21-12, 01:18 PM   #7
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by tenub View Post
Finished a basic unit frame but I'm struggling with a proper cast bar atm.

What do you think?
Omg, nice dude!
02-21-12, 01:43 PM   #8
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
That looks really nice, although perhaps a bit large for the limited information it shows. I suppose it works on a big screen though.
02-21-12, 03:03 PM   #9
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
02-21-12, 05:16 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That looks better, though now you need a tad more spacing between the health icon (+) and the power percent text.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-21-12, 07:51 PM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

Looks really good, though I'd suggest adding the spell name to the cast bar, at least for units that can be NPCs (target/focus), since you won't always know the icons for every spell an NPC casts. You could even add a check that only showed the spell name when the caster is an NPC, and then put the name below the cast bar, extending the background around the text as well.

Also, make sure you distinguish between interruptible and non-interruptible spells somehow. Changing the color of the castbar would work (eg. green for spells cast by friendly units, red for interruptible spells cast by hostile units, and yellow for non-interruptible spells cast by hostile units).

My main objection is that it isn't very useful for healers, since they need to see the actual amount of health, not just a percent, in order to choose the right healing spell.

The non-LCD font looks much better, as well.

Last edited by Phanx : 02-21-12 at 07:54 PM.
02-21-12, 07:53 PM   #12
Zagrei
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Omnomnom! This is crazy awesome, especially if you were to implement something along the lines of Phanx's suggestion. Very cool!
02-22-12, 04:01 AM   #13
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
This is meant for my mage only and will be as minimalist as possible. Besides, if you're looking at a target frame for health/power amounts as a healer chances are you're bad. :P Raid frames will be designed at a later time. I'll try to figure out a way to show a cast name without being too bulky. I think copying the unit frame would make it too large. Thanks for all the comments/suggestions!
02-22-12, 04:58 AM   #14
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You really should use MONOCHROME when defining the font. (Removes antialiasing)
If you want to keep the look use any kind of pixel font.

Question...the aura icons are photoshoped right? Those round corners are impossible to do in game. (because we cannot mask textures)

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
02-22-12, 02:12 PM   #15
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Yes it's done in Photoshop. However, I can do this in game as seen here, here, and here.
02-22-12, 03:04 PM   #16
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ok it works for round corners where you can hide the actual square icon texture.

02-22-12, 04:23 PM   #17
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
And why do you suggest using a monochrome font setting? I despise all but one or two pixel fonts and would even then refuse to use one in my UI simply because they are overused and no longer innovative, and unfortunately pixel fonts comprise 99.9% of the fonts that work well without antialiasing.
02-22-12, 06:06 PM   #18
Phanx
Cat.

This is meant for my mage only and will be as minimalist as possible. Besides, if you're looking at a target frame for health/power amounts as a healer chances are you're bad. :P
If you're assigned to heal a single target (eg. a tank, or someone whose job causes them to stand far away from the raid) then you usually just target that person to heal them.

I don't raid anymore, or really even do anything with groups, but I also often targeted my primary healing target and used the keyboard to heal them, while also using click bindings on my raid frames to heal other people.

Also, many DPS players like to know how much actual health their target has, rather than the percent.

If you're only designing for yourself, and do not plan to ever publish the layout, then I guess it doesn't matter.
02-22-12, 08:28 PM   #19
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by zork View Post
Ok it works for round corners where you can hide the actual square icon texture.
Or... It could be from texture replacements like the other icon packs here on WoWInterface...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-23-12, 01:24 AM   #20
Qupe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

I was assuming the MONOCHROME comment was made towards the LCD/alarm clock font from the original screenshot.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » New Idea, But Is It Good?