02-16-15, 10:17 PM   #1
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Update issues

I updated Minion at work today (previous installed version was from Dec. 21, which I'd posted about here) and ran into some new issues.

The download link (which finally works when Google Analytics isn't loaded, yay!) seems to point at an old version. I clicked it 15 minutes ago, downloaded, installed, launched, and was immediately prompted to update again, though the in-app information listed the latest update as being 2-3 days old.

Despite this not being a fresh install, after the second update, I was prompted to select which drives to scan for games... and despite selecting only the C: drive which only contains one WoW install (and zero ESO installs) it proceeded to "detect" addons for 4 WoW installs. "Detecting WoW-4 AddOns" took about 10 minutes to complete.

Now that it finally finished launching, it is indeed displaying 4 WoW installs, all labeled "World of Warcraft". Looking at the folder path for each one, it obviously ignored the part where I told it to only scan the C: drive, as 3 of the installs are on network drives (mapped to drive letters) which explains why it took so long to scan them.

Clicking the "maximize" button not only does not actually maximize the window (it leaves about 30px between itself and the edges of the screen) but also moved it to my other monitor (it was on the second monitor, and moved to the first one).

And updated info re: previously reported issues:

I don't see any misidentifications in the list this time, so that's good, but some addons are still missing. At a glance I think most, if not all, of the addons I previously reported as missing are still missing, but I don't have time to do a comprehensive survey right now.

However, Git repositories and SVN working copies are still not ignored, so that's bad, and I still can't try the "update all" or auto-update features. This really can't take very long to implement.

System DPI is still ignored, and font rendering is still not great; note the blobby capital "B"s and "P"s in addon titles, and the general pixellated awfulness of the larger text:

Low contrast is still a problem, but would be much less of a problem if the app scaled with the system DPI setting, since then the text would be larger.

(For reference, when I say "system DPI" I'm talking about the settings you get by right-clicking your desktop, picking Screen Resolution, then clicking "Make text or other items larger or smaller" and selecting "Medium" or "Large". I use the Medium setting; I'd rather use Large, but I can't because it causes too many problems with too many programs written by people who don't know/care about even basic accessibility... a category which sadly includes Blizzard.)

Version number boxes are still too narrow, and the tooltip delay is too long. When the window is "maximized" about 50% of the horizontal space is just blank -- there's plenty of room to show the whole version string when it's long!

Scrolling quickly is still jumpy, and still causes an annoying strobe effect since the mouseover highlight doesn't update at the same time as everything else. Version number boxes and "update" buttons are also affected -- when scrolling from "addons that need updates" (perhaps more properly entitled "lies" ) to "addons that are up to date" you can see the "update" button and the red/gray version boxes are still shown on the bottom few rows for a noticable fraction of a second before the update routine catches up. However, the addon icons and names update in realtime, so I'm not sure why the whole row isn't updated at the same time...

Typing in the search box is nicely responsive now... but deleting the contents of the search box by holding down the backspace key is very slow, like it's still using the old super-slow code path to filter the list each time the text contents changes while it's being deleted.

Still getting weird cursors (usually <---> resize cursor) when mousing over addon rows most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minion-text-rendering.png
Views:	955
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	8508  

Last edited by Phanx : 02-16-15 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Forgot attachment
02-16-15, 10:50 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I updated Minion at work today (previous installed version was from Dec. 21, which I'd posted about here) and ran into some new issues.

The download link (which finally works when Google Analytics isn't loaded, yay!) seems to point at an old version. I clicked it 15 minutes ago, downloaded, installed, launched, and was immediately prompted to update again, though the in-app information listed the latest update as being 2-3 days old.
We released 2.1.2pl2 over the weekend. PL releases are emergency bug fixes and we do not always release a new 64/32 exes and dmgs for these. The download link will be in sync again once 2.1.3 is released. Luckily though these PL releases are well under 1mb in size.

Despite this not being a fresh install, after the second update, I was prompted to select which drives to scan for games... and despite selecting only the C: drive which only contains one WoW install (and zero ESO installs) it proceeded to "detect" addons for 4 WoW installs. "Detecting WoW-4 AddOns" took about 10 minutes to complete.
Can you please attach your minion.xml. That should help me to detriment if something was wrong in the config or Minion is ignoring the config. Thanks

Clicking the "maximize" button not only does not actually maximize the window (it leaves about 30px between itself and the edges of the screen) but also moved it to my other monitor (it was on the second monitor, and moved to the first one).
That is the way its worked since we launched maximize. With the radius corners and drop shadow there is a 12px inset.

The 2nd issue there is interesting. I see that now and will make a bug ticket for it.

I don't see any misidentifications in the list this time, so that's good, but some addons are still missing. At a glance I think most, if not all, of the addons I previously reported as missing are still missing, but I don't have time to do a comprehensive survey right now.
Are they AddOns available from our Stand-Alone Addons category?

However, Git repositories and SVN working copies are still not ignored, so that's bad, and I still can't try the "update all" or auto-update features. This really can't take very long to implement.
Its not a matter of difficulty, its a matter of time. Its in our backlog but re-writing the client and fixing the 100's of bugs you don't see take a lot of time. Every bug has been a deep rabbit hole and fixing one thing uncovers tons more. I wish we could go faster.

System DPI is still ignored, and font rendering is still not great; note the blobby capital "B"s and "P"s in addon titles, and the general pixellated awfulness of the larger text:
I don't think JavaFX has this ability yet. I'll re-research this now that we are running JDK8 and JFX2.

Low contrast is still a problem, but would be much less of a problem if the app scaled with the system DPI setting, since then the text would be larger.
I haven't had the time yet to work with the UI but I do want to work on this. I want to also provide a high contrast alternative style and possibly even find a way to open it for 3rd party styles. Although I think people will go crazy if they have to try and use the backwards jfx css.

Version number boxes are still too narrow, and the tooltip delay is too long. When the window is "maximized" about 50% of the horizontal space is just blank -- there's plenty of room to show the whole version string when it's long!
I'll see if we can decrease the tooltip delay in javafx. I haven't gotten to resizing the version width. Hopefully now that we got the java8 re-write under our belt I can get back to more UI.

Scrolling quickly is still jumpy, and still causes an annoying strobe effect since the mouseover highlight doesn't update at the same time as everything else. Version number boxes and "update" buttons are also affected -- when scrolling from "addons that need updates" (perhaps more properly entitled "lies" ) to "addons that are up to date" you can see the "update" button and the red/gray version boxes are still shown on the bottom few rows for a noticable fraction of a second before the update routine catches up. However, the addon icons and names update in realtime, so I'm not sure why the whole row isn't updated at the same time...
We had a story in sprint a couple times for this. We are having trouble capturing the scroll event under windows and calming it down. It scrolls like butter under OSX but horribly under windows. We are trying to figure out a solution to this.

Typing in the search box is nicely responsive now... but deleting the contents of the search box by holding down the backspace key is very slow, like it's still using the old super-slow code path to filter the list each time the text contents changes while it's being deleted.
We should have a ( X ) icon show up to the right of the search input. I'll make a ticket for that. Thanks.

Still getting weird cursors (usually <---> resize cursor) when mousing over addon rows most of the time.
Hrm, I can get the <---> to show up when hitting the edge of the window and if i drag it over the addon stats area in the list it stays but if I go further to the left it will turn back into a normal cursor. It stays a <---> a little too long though and should be fixed.

Thanks for your feedback and I do appreciate it.

Last edited by Dolby : 02-16-15 at 11:04 PM.
02-16-15, 11:48 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Can you please attach your minion.xml. That should help me to detriment if something was wrong in the config or Minion is ignoring the config. Thanks
Forgot to do that... now I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow when I'm back at work.

Are they AddOns available from our Stand-Alone Addons category?
Most of them, yes, though a few are under Utilities > Developer Utilities, Utilities > Libraries, or Optional > Outdated Mods. Here's the list from my December post, with "Utilities" addons additionally marked; tomorrow I should have time to do a more detailed check to see if anything else is missing:

And some that are working copies, but that doesn't stop Minion with other addons, so I don't think that's why they weren't detected:And some that are in the Oudated Mods category, but ideally should be matched anyway if there aren't any matches outside of the Outdated category:
Hrm, I can get the <---> to show up when hitting the edge of the window and if i drag it over the addon stats area in the list it stays but if I go further to the left it will turn back into a normal cursor. It stays a <---> a little too long though and should be fixed.
For me it's pretty consistent; if it's a <---> it just stays that way no matter which area I mouse over, until I move the cursor away from Minion entirely, though it's likely that when I move the cursor back to Minion it will be a <---> again.
02-20-15, 10:55 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Attached minion.xml and log files; I see several issues in there:

The WoW-2 install is pointing at a PTR client that has not existed on this computer for months. It should be able to quickly identify that the install is gone, and just remove it from the game list. (Note that the Curse Client fails at this too; it keeps wasting time scanning for old PTR/beta installs until I explicitly remove them from its list of detected games. Doesn't seem like it should be so hard to do this right!)

The WoW-3 and -4 installs are on a networked drive that I un-checked on the "which drives do you want to scan for addons" dialog and had also explictly told Minion to ignore during my previous test session months earlier.

As suspected, Bagnon is not being detected because I've removed the optional Bagnon_GuildBank plugin folder:
Code:
[2015-02-16 19:48:11.WARNING com.zam.minion.service.AddOnDetectionService checkSavedExist AddOn 'Bagnon' has been manually removed (missing dir 'Bagnon_GuildBank').
By contrast, the Curse Client just marks Bagnon as "modified" and prompts me to confirm that I want to overwrite it when updating. (It's also not included in "update all" or auto-update operations; I have to manually click "update" which I think is a good arrangement.)

Also seeing a lot of entries like this in the log:
Code:
[2015-02-16 19:48:11.WARNING com.zam.minion.service.AddOnDetectionService checkSavedExist AddOn 'oUF Phanx' has been manually removed (missing dir 'oUF_Phanx').
...most of which make no sense because those directories are indeed present in the AddOns folder, many of them as Git repos or SVN working copies.
Attached Files
File Type: xml minion.xml (40.2 KB, 433 views)
File Type: log minion0.log (332.7 KB, 301 views)
02-20-15, 11:29 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

And running again; new observations:

It would be nice for the in-app update to have some kind of progress bar. When I click "update now" it just closes itself and there's no visual indication that it's actually downloading or installing the update; I just have to take it on faith and wait a minute for it to re-open, apparently having succeeded in the update.

It would also be nice to be able to cancel the "Detecting **** AddOns" scan on startup, though admittedly probably not in many cases. In my case, I just don't want to spend 10 minutes scanning backup files on some remote networked drive that probably hasn't been defragged in a decade, since as soon as it's done doing that I'm going to tell it to never look at that install again (and maybe even just delete the installation, since I have no idea why there is a copy of WoW in a backup directory... I guess someone just used manual copy and paste when backing up).

When deleting an addon (right-click, Remove Game From Minion) the My Games list briefly shows all installs the client has ever found, including ones I already deleted, for about 1 second before updating to hide the deleted ones.

This also happens when uninstalling an addon (right-click, Uninstall) except that in this scenario the list does not update again to hide the deleted games, and continues to show them until I mouse over them; deleted games are hidden when moused over.

Edit: Also happens when updating an addon by clicking the "Update" button. Probably happens when using Update All too but I can't test that because 99.99999% of the suggested updates are either obviously wrong or would overwrite a Git repo or SVN working copy.

Edit #2: While I was formatting the lists I noticed the Minion window refreshed (presumably after checking for new updates) and showed all the deleted games again until I moused over them.

Current list of addons not detected:

Stand-Alone AddOnsUtilities
No reason to hide these.Outdated Mods
It's probably correct to hide these addons when installing new addons through Minion, but probably not correct to hide them in the list of addons the user already has installed. The Curse Client does this -- old addons are listed if installed, but hidden in the "get more addons" list.
Addon version detection problems:

Wrong installed version detected:
I'm not sure what these detections are based on since I've never installed or updated most (if any) of these addons through Minion, but it's definitely using versions detected from some old scan.
  • _Cursor — detected 5.4.8.4 — have 6.0.2.1-6-g09c9f69
  • _NPCScan.Overlay — detected 5.4.8.2-1-gb065... (tooltip text literally too small to read) — have 6.0.3.4
  • Ackis Recipe List — detected 3.0.5 — have 3.0.13
  • Archy — detected 1.8.44 — have 1.8.57-217-g70ab398
  • Badapples — detected 5.4.8.wowi:revision — have @project-version@ (Git repo, but that's what's listed in the TOC Version field)
  • AuctionLite — detected 1.8.12 — have r263
  • Bagnon — detected 6.0.5 — have 6.0.16
  • Bartender4 — detected 4.5.13.2 — have 4.6.6-2-g4905fdf
  • Battle Pet Binds — detected v2.3.0 — have v2.4.0
  • Bazooka — detected v2.4.0 — have r268
  • BonusRollPreview — detected 50400.16-Release — have 60000.23-Release
  • Broker_Equipment — detected 50400.22-Release — have 60000.26-Release
  • BuyEmAll — detected 3.1.8 — have 3.2.3
  • Clique — detected v50400-1.0.0 — have v60000-1.0.0
  • GatherMate2 — detected 1.27 — have 1.33.4
  • Grail — detected 065PR12 — have 068PR2
  • HelmSaver — detected 1.1 — have 1.2
  • KuiNameplates — detected 240 — have 247
  • Learning Aid Beta — detected 1.12.0 Alpha 3 — have 1.12b1 (listed as 1.12.0 Beta 1 on the download page, author using inconsistent formats)
  • Mapster — detected 1.5.6.1 — have 1.6.2
  • Masque: Cainyx — detected 4.3 — have 6.0.0 (listed as 6.0b on the download page, author forgot to update the TOC, but the detected version in Minion was still wrong)
  • MINE-O-MATIC — detected 6.0.3.007 — have 6.0.3.008
  • Molinari — detected 50400.27-Release — have 60000.35-Release
  • Numeration Damage Meter — detected 2.5 — have 2.6.5
  • OmniCC — detected 5.4.3 — have 6.0.10
  • oUF — detected 1.6.6 — have 1.6.8
  • Postal — detected 3.5.1 — have 3.5.3
  • SilverDragon — detected 3.0.1 — have 3.1.5
  • Sorted Currency Tab — detected 2.0 — have 2.0
  • TomTom — detected v50400-1.0.0 — have v60000-1.1.1
  • VendorBait — detected 4.2.0.8-Release — have 6.0.0.10-Beta
  • Wholly — detected 045PR7 — have 050PR2
  • xMerchant — detected 140617a — have 141024

Bad update suggestions:
All of the above are also giving either bad suggestions, or at least telling me to update to the version I already have, but at least they look correct based on the version Minion wrongly thinks I have installed. These ones are obviously bad:
  • Action Bar Profiles 0.6 -> 0.5.3
  • Masque 6.0.1 -> v6.0.0

More bad update suggestions, but these aren't logically obvious and probably can't be handled by Minion unless the author is diligent about uploading each and every version (including alphas) to both Curse and WoWInterface:
  • OPie Plum 1 -> Lime 6 (okay, this one isn't obvious, and this is a terrible versioning scheme )
  • Skada r607 -> 1.4-28
  • Touhin r54 -> 1.1

Not bothering to list all my Git repos and SVN working copies since that's not information you don't already have, but of the 83 suggested updates, only 1 was actually an update.

Attached is the log file for the second run where all these detection problems were observed.
Attached Files
File Type: log minion0.log (387.1 KB, 333 views)

Last edited by Phanx : 02-21-15 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Added version detection mismatches, added attachments

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Update issues