12-21-17, 08:24 PM   #21
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
/edit: TOC files are only read when the game client is started up. This is why you need to exit the game completely when editing/changing a TOC file. The TOC file is also where the client gets the addon name from to display in the addon menu at the character select screen.
Hi Seerah,
That might have been the case once upon a time but you can now edit the file list in a .toc and /reload to take effect. I do this to comment out .lua files in my test suite .toc to enable/disable them.

True you can't change the title or other ## items on the fly.
12-22-17, 07:08 AM   #22
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Hi myrroddin,

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Late to the party... Why not use AddonLoader? It is here on Wowinterface as well.

Set it up as per its documentation, with its load on tags? Now you don't have to muck around with Lua and trying to figure out how to only load on one class.
I was slightly aware of this, but at the same time was also bit worried of using it as the addon that I am creating doesn't seem to worth using it
(Mine's really trivial and shabby...)

BUT, I'll give it a shot

AddonLoader actually seems interesting to play with!

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
No, because it sees in the TOC file in step 1 that the addon is LoD. When it is called with LoadAddOn("AddonName"), then it moves on to step 2 and loads it into memory, then runs it (step 3).

/edit: TOC files are only read when the game client is started up. This is why you need to exit the game completely when editing/changing a TOC file. The TOC file is also where the client gets the addon name from to display in the addon menu at the character select screen.
Thank you for your clarification Seerah!

It makes much more sense now

Last edited by Layback_ : 12-22-17 at 07:27 AM.
12-22-17, 10:41 AM   #23
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Like I mention, the issue with AddonLoader is that you would need to require your users to go and separately download it (unless they allow people to bundle it with their addon, I guess.)
That would seem like bloat to a lot of people, especially if yours is the only addon of theirs that would need it.
Up to you to weigh the pros and cons of each method though, at the end of the day.
12-22-17, 12:57 PM   #24
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
AddonLoader is totally unnecessary and overkill.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-22-17, 04:46 PM   #25
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Many thanks to Ammako, again, for the advice.

Will keep that in mind

Last edited by Layback_ : 12-22-17 at 04:50 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Class specific addon?