12-06-07, 01:59 PM   #1
chak0171
A Murloc Raider
Still resets everytime

Hello... My UI resets everytime I leave WoW. I followed the existing thread on this forum and the other one that was given as an example. I don't have the keylogger problem or the trojan(I looked for the things that I was told to look for. the .dll's and the stuff in the registry) I just recently re-installed WoW and downloaded the MirageUI. I use XP. Everytime I exit WoW and go back in, my UI is completely reset. I have even tried saving a profile in the UI but that didn't work either. This is happening to my wife's account as well. Some help would be greatly appreciated.
12-06-07, 03:51 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Did you also check to make sure your WTF folder is not write protected?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-06-07, 03:59 PM   #3
Pigl33t
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
And do you have administrator rights for your XP profile so you can save settings and stuff for the computer?
12-06-07, 04:03 PM   #4
chak0171
A Murloc Raider
yes I have admin rights and I have checked the folder it isn't checked as read only, but the box is shaded in but not check marked. I have tried to make it blank but it reverts back to the shaded in box every time.
12-06-07, 04:12 PM   #5
sildani
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Perhaps you're not the "owner" of that folder.

First, make sure you have Simple Security "unchecked":

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
3. In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.
4. Click OK.

Next, make yourself (or confirm) owner over the entire WoW install:

1. Right-click on the World of Warcraft installation folder and choose Properties (C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft by default).
2. Select Security tab.
3. Click Advanced button.
4. Click Owner tab.
5. Select yourself in the box below the text "Change owner to:"
6. Put a checkmark in the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox.
7. Click OK.

This process will take a few minutes. Once it's done, go into the AddOns folder properties, and see if the Read Only checkbox is now clickable (not faded out). If so, you may be in business.

EDIT: Fixed typo.
12-06-07, 04:34 PM   #6
chak0171
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by sildani
Perhaps you're not the "owner" of that folder.

First, make sure you have Simple Security "unchecked":

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
3. In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.
4. Click OK.

Next, make yourself (or confirm) owner over the entire WoW install:

1. Right-click on the World of Warcraft installation folder and choose Properties (C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft by default).
2. Select Security tab.
3. Click Advanced button.
4. Click Owner tab.
5. Select yourself in the box below the text "Change owner to:"
6. Put a checkmark in the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox.
7. Click OK.

This process will take a few minutes. Once it's done, go into the AddOns folder properties, and see if the Read Only checkbox is now clickable (not faded out). If so, you may be in business.

EDIT: Fixed typo.
I went to this but I don't have an advance button in the first thing to do. I also don't have a security tab on my folders in the properties. I can change the box. It isn't faded out... it is shaded in(it isn't grayed out where I can't even click on it). Everytime I remove the shading so that the check box is empty. I then hit apply and then click on ok. I then go back in and look and the box is shaded in again. Now this is not a check mark but just a shaded in box. I did look in my Control Panel and I have the Adminstration Tools icon. I know that that would be missing if I wasn't the Administrator of the computer.

I am wondering if this isn't something related to Blizzard itself. It seems to keep all of the stuff that I did in the Blizzard Interface tab. I removed the icon bars and changed the tips shown while zoning. Those are still set the way I changed them.
12-06-07, 04:52 PM   #7
sildani
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

If I understand modding correctly, all the customizations you make will be written to memory only, and written to disk when you exit the game. Something is not letting World of Warcraft write to the WTF and/or AddOns folders. This is really strange.

Have you tried backing up your WTF folder and then deleting it, then trying again?
12-06-07, 04:58 PM   #8
chak0171
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by sildani
If I understand modding correctly, all the customizations you make will be written to memory only, and written to disk when you exit the game. Something is not letting World of Warcraft write to the WTF and/or AddOns folders. This is really strange.

Have you tried backing up your WTF folder and then deleting it, then trying again?
should I delete while I am in game? will it make a new one upon exit? or should I delete it before I log in?

[edit]
I tried both ways and it stll isn't working. It was a good suggestion... I wish it had worked

Last edited by chak0171 : 12-06-07 at 05:23 PM.
12-06-07, 06:03 PM   #9
Jazradel
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You must log out/reload your ui for the changes to save. Are you doing that?

You should delete it out of the game. Log in, make changes and /reload.
12-06-07, 07:19 PM   #10
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
  • Never change or delete anything in your Addons or WTF folder while the game is running.
  • Addon settings are only ever saved during logout or a UI reload.

Just seeing the Administrative Tools does not always mean you are an Administrator. Go into your Control Panel > User Accounts and verify that you are an Administrator. Power User won't cut it.

Sounds like you are running Windows XP Home instead of Professional. As Sildani mentioned about your simple file sharing.... it may not be under the Advanced Options, but it will be under Folder Options > View. Make sure Use Simple File Sharing is unchecked. Then, and only then, will the Security tab appear. Until you do that, you will not be able to change the Read Only option or folder permissions or anything.

12-06-07, 08:32 PM   #11
chak0171
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Gemini_II
  • Never change or delete anything in your Addons or WTF folder while the game is running.
  • Addon settings are only ever saved during logout or a UI reload.

Just seeing the Administrative Tools does not always mean you are an Administrator. Go into your Control Panel > User Accounts and verify that you are an Administrator. Power User won't cut it.

Sounds like you are running Windows XP Home instead of Professional. As Sildani mentioned about your simple file sharing.... it may not be under the Advanced Options, but it will be under Folder Options > View. Make sure Use Simple File Sharing is unchecked. Then, and only then, will the Security tab appear. Until you do that, you will not be able to change the Read Only option or folder permissions or anything.

Yes I have Windows XP Home... I looked in the Folders Options> View and I can't find anything that says Use Simple File Sharing or anything close to it. I did look and I am the Administrator not a Power User (I am the only person that uses this computer). When I reboot it doesn't give me a choice of who I want to log in as. It doesn't even go to a log in screen. Is there someplace I can look to change these settings?
12-06-07, 09:33 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
and you're certain that you don't have the keylogger/trojan?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-06-07, 10:12 PM   #13
chak0171
A Murloc Raider
I feel so stupid... there is a box in Folder Options> View that you need to uncheck if you want to see the keylogger files... and that box is "Hide protected operating files (Recommended)"... if you don't uncheck that box then you won't see the keylogger files...

Yes I had the keylogger files and I got rid of them with the suggested procedure and it is now working correctly.

Thank you all for your help.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Still resets everytime