03-07-13, 01:19 AM   #1
u2ramess
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up Map scaling

What I'd like to see back in Carbonite is the auto scaling it used to have. I.E. Click on quest and map auto scales out to where the quest area is visible, say half way across map and as you get closer it zooms in. have loved that part of Carbonite...though when you are on top of quest your zoomed in pretty tight. So maybe add a max zoom in level option to where you can have it stop at a certain zoom %. Don't know how well that would work with using wow databases and their blobs.

03-07-13, 01:50 AM   #2
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by u2ramess View Post
What I'd like to see back in Carbonite is the auto scaling it used to have. I.E. Click on quest and map auto scales out to where the quest area is visible, say half way across map and as you get closer it zooms in. have loved that part of Carbonite...though when you are on top of quest your zoomed in pretty tight. So maybe add a max zoom in level option to where you can have it stop at a certain zoom %. Don't know how well that would work with using wow databases and their blobs.
Am I missing something? Because (pre-MOP) that's how Carb works for me...

03-07-13, 06:52 AM   #3
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
yeah... this feature never left and is still part of the map.

03-07-13, 12:06 PM   #4
NoggenFogger
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by u2ramess View Post
....though when you are on top of quest your zoomed in pretty tight. So maybe add a max zoom in level option to where you can have it stop at a certain zoom %. Don't know how well that would work with using wow databases and their blobs.
What you are talking about here is "scale"...

Right click on the carbonite map and a drop-down list will appear. Click "Scale" and play with the 1st two sliders (Auto Scale Min) and (Auto Scale Max).

This will set how far out carbonite can scale when your destination is a long way away... and how close up it can zoom in when you are on-top of your destination.

As an example (my settings):

Auto Scale Min - (0.12)
Auto Scale Max - (3.50)

This allows my map to expand nearly all the way out when I'm flying a very long distance (across a continent) but prevents the map from zooming WAY in when I land.

03-07-13, 08:38 PM   #5
u2ramess
A Defias Bandit
I thought it had been removed because in one of the updates since MoP started it broke and I couldn't figure out where to fix it :P. Glad to know its still there....will fix it when I get on next. Thanks guys

03-08-13, 03:02 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Actually, to make the Carbonite minimized map "auto-scale" between you and your destination (objective or whatever) you only have to do one thing and it requires no adjusting of Carbonites options.

There are two check boxes in the upper right corner of the map frame. The first is for "Auto Scale" (if you hover the check box, you will get a tool tip explaining what its' for), and the second is to "Lock" the map in place. Check the first one to make your Carbonite minimized map auto-scale, and I would strongly suggest that you also check the second one, to lock the Carbonite minimized map in place, after you have the map where you want it on your screen, so it can't be accidentally moved or re-sized. Simply right click the "Lock" check box and change any options you wish to in the menu when it opens.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 03-08-13 at 03:22 PM.

03-08-13, 04:15 PM   #7
NoggenFogger
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Actually, to make the Carbonite minimized map "auto-scale" between you and your destination (objective or whatever) you only have to do one thing and it requires no adjusting of Carbonites options.

There are two check boxes in the upper right corner of the map frame. The first is for "Auto Scale" (if you hover the check box, you will get a tool tip explaining what its' for), and the second is to "Lock" the map in place. Check the first one to make your Carbonite minimized map auto-scale, and I would strongly suggest that you also check the second one, to lock the Carbonite minimized map in place, after you have the map where you want it on your screen, so it can't be accidentally moved or re-sized. Simply right click the "Lock" check box and change any options you wish to in the menu when it opens.
Auto Scale is checked, but for me, it zooms way to far in, especially when in a city, and also when doing a quest with a large area of collection or mob wandering. I prefer to limit how far it can zoom in.

03-09-13, 11:30 PM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by NoggenFogger View Post
Auto Scale is checked, but for me, it zooms way to far in, especially when in a city, and also when doing a quest with a large area of collection or mob wandering. I prefer to limit how far it can zoom in.
You know you can save the zoom level for each Carbonite map (minimized and maximized), right?

Set the zoom level you like and then right click a non-icon area of the map. In the menu, choose "Save map scale". Then, whenever your map doesn't appear to be at the proper zoom, you can either:
  1. Right click a non-icon area of the map and choose "Restore saved map scale" in the menu, or
  2. Set a key bind in the default WoW key bind interface so you don't have to keep opening the map menu. Open the WoW menu (esc) and click on the "Key Bind" button. When the key bind interface opens, scroll down to the "Carbonite" section and set a key bind for "Restore saved map scale" (I think that's what the option is listed as, been a long time since I set mine, and I'm not in-game).

Also, and I'm not positive about this, but I don't think the "Auto Scale" check box actually has anything to do with the scale of the map other than zooming the map out to show both your position and your destination point.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 03-09-13 at 11:34 PM.

03-10-13, 05:08 PM   #9
NoggenFogger
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
You know you can save the zoom level for each Carbonite map (minimized and maximized), right?

Set the zoom level you like and then right click a non-icon area of the map. In the menu, choose "Save map scale". Then, whenever your map doesn't appear to be at the proper zoom, you can either:
  1. Right click a non-icon area of the map and choose "Restore saved map scale" in the menu, or
  2. Set a key bind in the default WoW key bind interface so you don't have to keep opening the map menu. Open the WoW menu (esc) and click on the "Key Bind" button. When the key bind interface opens, scroll down to the "Carbonite" section and set a key bind for "Restore saved map scale" (I think that's what the option is listed as, been a long time since I set mine, and I'm not in-game).
Also, and I'm not positive about this, but I don't think the "Auto Scale" check box actually has anything to do with the scale of the map other than zooming the map out to show both your position and your destination point.
Yes I know this, but I still want the map to zoom out, and back in automatically. I just don't want it to zoom in too far. So by setting the limit slider, I can still have it be automatic, but just not past a specific zoom level.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Map scaling