10-19-14, 02:56 AM   #1
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Darn you taint!

Umm so what is the best way to track down taint? I saw an addon somewhere that said it could tell you what addon and code really caused your taint... of course it didnt work haha!

After all this time im still battling taint. 3 places im having the most issues... the objectives tracker frame... i get what seems to be random blocking of the buttons on it after just a simple position adjustment that happens during addon_loaded. Also getting taint from the action bars or at least i think its from the action bars. Ironically the only error i ever get says the same thing all the time regardless of how i got it to trigger... it always says something along the lines of GrimUI attempted to call secure function TargetFrame:Hide() or something to that affect. Mostly fires when going in and out of combat while the bonus and takeover action bars are up. And yes I did modify the behavior of those a little. Or maybe this isnt something that can be dealt with? Ironically other then the objective tracker buttons issue and some odd behaviors in action bars occasionally it all works fine. I just hate seeing those taint errors... does everyones addons that mess with certain things end up with taint? Ive been at some of these issues for years now lol granted its an on again off again affair but... and yes i know i could just hide any taint errors from myself and the public by having GrimUI collect the errors and dispose of them but i would still know it was happening and its been driving me nuts. Also My action bars are nothing more then the bliz bars moved around. Buttons and secure code have always been my nemesis lol.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
10-19-14, 04:05 AM   #2
Lombra
A Molten Giant

If there are no actual issues you don't need to worry about it, generally. It's not very easy to track it down. Sometimes the taint log can be useful. Most often it's not. ('/console taintlog 1' and then check your WoW\Logs folder) But the thing you need to be aware of is that so much as a glance at a variable or function used by the default UI may at some point introduce taint.
10-19-14, 04:44 AM   #3
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Grimsin View Post
I did modify the behavior of those a little.
Any time you modify a value that the default interface reads or calls, it taints the entire execution path after that.

If you overwrite a global variable or a function or a method on a frame (like PlayerFrame.Show = function() end) and then the ui tries to access that, everything after that point is tainted and can no longer do anything securely because you may have changed the behavior of the function and it can no longer be trusted.
10-19-14, 04:58 AM   #4
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Isn't that only for certain functions though? mainly ones involving action buttons? In order to rearrange the bliz bars and get everything to act accordingly i had to redo or hookfuncs to a lot of the bliz functions. I know ideally i need to write my own action bars but... i struggle with creating action buttons. Not my strong point. Obviously because its the one major piece that GrimUI has been missing for years.... If i could get action bars made that dont taint it would be a perfect package finally. Well mostly anyhow haha i could list 100000000000s of things to add or change lol.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
10-19-14, 05:26 AM   #5
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If the ui accesses any variable that was modified by an addon, everything after that point in the function will be tainted and will spread to other functions in the interface that use that function and so on until eventually it invariably breaks a secure function.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Darn you taint!