07-03-13, 03:45 AM   #1
Bloodheir
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
wow.exe/wow launcher.exe - different effects

Hello everyone!

When im launch the game from wow.exe (shortcut witch ignore launcher and load game)
im getting these results about Addon memory uses:

When im launch the game from wow launcher.exe (the deafult shortcut)
im getting these results about Addon memory uses:
07-03-13, 03:49 AM   #2
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Memory usage is volatile, it doesn't matter how you launch the game.

The second screenshot was likely taken before the garbage collector was run.
07-03-13, 05:38 AM   #3
Bloodheir
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
before the garbage collector was run
No,there isnt about carbage collect,i had reset it.

Also im getting lower FPS,lower memory usage.
07-03-13, 05:45 AM   #4
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

In that case, the launcher is probably opening wow-64.exe instead of wow.exe and the 64 bit version of the client is going to use more memory to store integers.

However your frame rate should not be lower in the 64 bit version.

Last edited by semlar : 07-03-13 at 05:47 AM.
07-03-13, 06:06 AM   #5
Bloodheir
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
In that case, the launcher is probably opening wow-64.exe instead of wow.exe and the 64 bit version of the client is going to use more memory to store integers.

However your frame rate should not be lower in the 64 bit version.
Oh yeah u have right.

There is a shortcut called "wow-64.exe" if u want to launch the game in 64bit ignoring launcher.

Also,i do not have lower FPS in 64bit,i have lower FPS in 32bit.
Im using 64bit O/S.
07-03-13, 06:16 AM   #6
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
64 bit mode typically provides a (minor) performance enhancement, so increased fps is to be expected. A tradeoff is the increase in memory usage, which is typically not an issue on modern systems.
07-03-13, 06:31 AM   #7
Bloodheir
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
im feeling a big difference between 32bit and 64bit client.

Also,in 32bit client, cpu and gpu usage are much lower than 64bit.
07-03-13, 06:46 AM   #8
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
The difference isn't usually that significant, unless of course you have vertical sync enabled and running 64 bit is just the edge your system needs to keep 60 fps, while 32 bit makes it drop down to 30.

Make sure all your drivers and stuff are up to date too, particularly graphics and audio drivers.
07-03-13, 08:36 PM   #9
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I can't imagine 32- and 64-bit performing any different from each other. All that's really changed is the size of the memory registers, which means, more memory can be accessed. This doesn't mean an increase in how much room a 32-bit integer takes. Also remember, 64-bit integers existed long before the migration to 64-bit processors. The size of an allocated space of memory variable and the size of the memory registers are irrelevant to each other.

The only way there could be any difference between 32- and 64-bit WoW is they could be compiled between 2 different sets of code, with different ways of doing things from one to the other instead of having code written for 32-bit compiled into 64-bit binaries.
07-04-13, 05:30 AM   #10
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It might depend on your setup but there is definitely a difference in performance between the 32 and 64 bit clients. I get an additional ~5 fps just by switching to the 64 bit client, possibly more depending on the situation.
07-04-13, 06:31 AM   #11
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
As far as I'm aware, 64-bit applications are typically faster because large instructions don't have to be broken up seeing as there is more room in the registers.
07-04-13, 06:40 AM   #12
Clamsoda
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
As far as I'm aware, 64-bit applications are typically faster because large instructions don't have to be broken up seeing as there is more room in the registers.
Yes, but just because a program has been compiled as 64-bit doesn't mean it is using 64-bit addresses. I think that is what SDPhantom was implying; unless WoW has been coded twice - once for 32-bit and once for 64-bit - there can't be much of a performance increase, just 64-bit registers holding 32-bit addresses.
07-05-13, 04:30 PM   #13
watchout
A Fallenroot Satyr
  • x86 32 Bit processors have 8 general purpose Registers
  • x86-64 processors have 16 general purpose Registers
  • x86-64 processors in 32 bit mode use only 8 of their 16 general purpose Registers
This difference alone makes 64 bit mode quite superior, as a compiler is able to generate more efficient object code with 16 registers available. Of course a compiler has to be changed to take advantage of the additional 8 registers, but all (or lets say "most" as I can't possibly know all) current compiler suites are. Anyway, Lua benefits quite a lot from those additional registers.

The guys from LuaJit took the time to make benchmarks for their variant of Lua, but you can also use their benchmark site to compare standard Lua with a 64 Bit compile: http://luajit.org/performance_x86.html

The media instructions are not bad either, but they can be used whether in 64 Bit mode or not, as they are from the various MMX/SSE/3Dnow instruction sets. However, in 64 Bit mode, the CPU also uses 8 additional XMM registers (for a total of 16). This also should affect performance positively. I can't imagine this benefiting Lua though, and well, I don't know. The general purpose registers are one thing, but I don't think the additional SSE registers get used that often. But best be on the safe side, you can never have too many registers

If you want, you can read up on most of that stuff here: http://developer.amd.com/resources/d...uides-manuals/ (yes, AMD was the one who designed x86-64), the "Manuals" section will probably be the most interesting at first

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » wow.exe/wow launcher.exe - different effects