10-06-12, 04:18 PM   #1
geokoder
A Kobold Labourer
Carbonite obfuscation?

I was looking around for a good way to obfuscate addons and I read about Carbonite inventing it's own virtual machine and using bytecode within the addon.

Is there any documentation on how to do such a thing within an addon? I'm looking to obfuscate my own code and protect it from being modified or stolen.

10-06-12, 04:29 PM   #2
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you provide your code to the public it always can be "stolen" as you say. For the most part attempting to obfuscate your code is a waste of time. If someone were really interested in seeing what your code does, it can be made less obfuscated. Most people will not waste their time trying to figure out what your code does, and instead if your addon were doing something that is useful but not quite right in someone's eyes, another addon would be written to do that. Carbonite was found lacking and a member of the community removed the obfuscation to make changes. Admittedly it was a lot of work to be able to get it to a point to make changes, but remember that Carbonite is large. In general, if you are writing an addon that is not just for personal use, release it and don't worry about it.

10-06-12, 05:54 PM   #3
maniac1400
A Kobold Labourer
Blizzard seems to frown upon obfuscation, but seemingly didn't smack Carbonite around for it.

From Blizzard:
2) Add-on code must be completely visible.
The programming code of an add-on must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.

10-06-12, 06:15 PM   #4
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Pretty much what maniac1400 said, you're not allowed to obfuscate your code so I doubt people will help you accomplish that.

10-06-12, 07:35 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
maniac1400 covered it exactly. It is against Blizzard's rules. No one here will help you with it. Sorry.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite obfuscation?