01-12-15, 04:41 AM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

An old saying...

Modified to reflect Carbonite's slow progression...

"The less things change, the more they stay the same!"
01-12-15, 04:49 AM   #2
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Excluding merges, 13 authors have pushed 189 commits to master and 226 commits to all branches. On master, 171 files have changed and there have been 47,006 additions and 76,230 deletions.
https://github.com/Rythal/Carbonite/pulse/monthly

Only this month.
01-12-15, 10:01 AM   #3
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Actually, Carbonite progresses rather fast. What is nice and slow are official releases, but Rythal has been firm that he wants to take the time to make things run smooth before releasing, since he'll be offroads a few weeks without the chance to fix things.
01-12-15, 05:28 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
An even better saying; When you learn to accept instead of expect, you'll have fewer disappointments.
01-12-15, 08:00 PM   #5
crazzzzi
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

preach on sister
01-13-15, 08:47 AM   #6
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by atl77 View Post
Actually, Carbonite progresses rather fast. What is nice and slow are official releases, but Rythal has been firm that he wants to take the time to make things run smooth before releasing, since he'll be offroads a few weeks without the chance to fix things.
It's precisely the reason that you and the other volunteer developers have accomplished so much valuable work on the GitHub, that I thought of my rather cryptic comment. However, all that work is in vain unless users get to use it. Why can't the "Live" version have updates to it, just like normal Beta software has? Why do we users have to wait until another full New Release is ready to download? That means users (not developers) have to wait nearly a month, or maybe longer, before Rythal returns from Europe. Personally, I'd prefer (not expect) to have those tested sections of code (which are sitting uselessly in the GitHub) patched into the current Live version so that Carbonite works at least somewhat better until Rythal returns.

(incorrect) You said this earlier, and it's what got me thinking about 'update patches'.

EDITED: changed the above comment "You said this earlier..." to read "ircdirk said this earlier..."

ircdirk said this earlier, and it's what got me thinking about 'update patches'.
"Rythal when are u plannig next release? Many fixes have been made in GitHub. Users are still reporting issues that are already fixed."
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...00&postcount=7

Last edited by Kreelor : 01-13-15 at 10:15 AM. Reason: changed "You said this earlier..." to "ircdirk" said this earlier...
01-13-15, 09:10 AM   #7
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Wonderful how you put ircdirk's question out of context. But don't you fret, I have already proposed a more transparent and open release process to improve that issue.
01-13-15, 10:08 AM   #8
PsychoCircus
A Murloc Raider
*Chuckles* Actually, not to be nit picky, but the saying in question goes, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

But its true that Carbonite, under the auspices of Rythal and the other developers is moving much faster than the alerts and messages concerning them. You have to consider, too, that they're dealing with hundreds, possibly even thousands, of lines of code (I've never looked at the source to see which), and believe me, after a while, hundreds or thousands of lines of code start to run together, and everything can look like a jumbled mess. Do this every day, and almost everything looks like it has code, from kids messing around in the kitchen, to morning traffic.

The bottom line is they know you want Carbonite up and functional, and they're trying to achieve that for you. Such things, unfortunately, take time. Its not pretty, its not pleasant, but it is, unfortunately, the way the universe works. Being impatient only makes the wait seem that much longer, and exercising that impatience only impedes what success is already being accomplished, because they're having to reassure you that success is, in fact, being achieved, just not according to the schedules of those impatient hordes that insist on demanding an update or badgering the developers, or some other such nonsense (I'm not saying this is you, just a general statement).

Anyway, that's my two cents' worth
01-13-15, 10:38 AM   #9
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by atl77 View Post
Wonderful how you put ircdirk's question out of context. But don't you fret, I have already proposed a more transparent and open release process to improve that issue.
You are right. I was wrong. It was ircdirk's comment, not yours. So, I edited that post.

I don't how my comment was out of context. I'm looking at the Live version from a user's point of view, not from a developer's view point. If the Live version doesn't get even partially updated, athough there is "some" already-corrected code available, then the Live version remains the same. Hence, my statement "The less things change, the more they stay the same!" was meant to say that the Live version still remains the same. Not the working GitHub code. You folks are doing great with that. I guess it's only my sense of humor that is being misunderstood. I did not intend to open this can of worms! Sorry. I wish Cairenn would delete this entire thread! I was only hoping that the finished, good code in the GitHub could be added to the Live version as in interim 'patch' before Rythal left town.

EDITED: clarification... HOPING -- not demanding, insisting, etc.

Last edited by Kreelor : 01-13-15 at 10:43 AM. Reason: clarification... HOPING -- not demanding, insisting, etc.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: General Discussion » An old saying...