09-05-12, 02:50 PM   #281
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Rythal, I'm not the one getting the out-of-date notice. My reply was to Reddsonja.

Maybe I'm wrong in my understanding of how that message gets "popped-up." I thought is was when Carbonite users login, Carbonite itself looks at the date in its own ".lua" and if that date is less than (older) than the user's current system date, then it notifies the user that a newer version is available, even if there isn't a newer one.

A long time ago, I changed the date that Carbonite compares against in its own ".lua" by using Notepad++ and changing the offending Carbonite date to a newer date value, 6 months ahead into the future. It has been working for me, so if I'm misunderstanding you, please let me know.
It has 2 messages, one checked on login against date (This version is old, visit website to get another)
and one checked against what version other peopple are running (an updated version is available). If reddsonja is getting this one, someone is toying with carbonites version on there server.

09-05-12, 04:12 PM   #282
Paeura
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
It has 2 messages, one checked on login against date (This version is old, visit website to get another)
and one checked against what version other peopple are running (an updated version is available). If reddsonja is getting this one, someone is toying with carbonites version on there server.

Same here... I get it while in the game as well..... I have not seen any new update..

Legacy of the Sword

09-05-12, 04:38 PM   #283
GaryBr
A Kobold Labourer
Actually, if someone is getting notice about an updated version available ... that means someone is making changes who is on your server... either minor or major, the message saying outdated is the one you mentioned.

The one saying a new version available is based upon chat messages in the carbonite global channel where it talks to other carbonite users, and compares your version number to one it see's posted. It's exact chance is for reportedVersion-.00001 > current version, so if your seeing that message pop up someone on your server has a carbonite reporting it's higher then 5.040007 if your using the latest one.
Rythal,

Nice. I saw that message and was checking for an update.

Thanks so much for your work to keep Carbonite running.

Gary

09-05-12, 05:00 PM   #284
aslanruler
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Love the work you've done on Carbonite... but, what I was wondering was, the quest tracking used to display the number of quests in zone for the zone achievement. Would there be any way to get that back?
As far as the way Carb used to automatically track the number of quests in a zone, I was under the impression that Carb was using the achievement tracker system. If you are in a zone that your main or an alt has previously gotten the quest achievement in, then the achievement is already logged as completed and no tracking occurs outside of Carb's database. Since I went into patch 5.0.4 with Loremaster, I really have no way to tell if I'm right or not.

Either way, you might try checking the 'track this achievement' option on WoW's achievement UI and see if that pops the quest stuff up again.

09-05-12, 05:27 PM   #285
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by aslanruler View Post
As far as the way Carb used to automatically track the number of quests in a zone, I was under the impression that Carb was using the achievement tracker system. If you are in a zone that your main or an alt has previously gotten the quest achievement in, then the achievement is already logged as completed and no tracking occurs outside of Carb's database. Since I went into patch 5.0.4 with Loremaster, I really have no way to tell if I'm right or not.

Either way, you might try checking the 'track this achievement' option on WoW's achievement UI and see if that pops the quest stuff up again.
that would definately explain why it stopped working without me noticing since I don't have the achievement in any zones except cata ones, and yes it definitely uses achievement tracking for it since that's one of the criteria for zones in the source is the achievement ID of matching quest count list... and why it won't work in pandaria since pandaria zones don't have a set number of quests for achievement... they have a global zone meta, which is broken down to zone subgroup ones, which is broken down to specific quests.

09-05-12, 06:19 PM   #286
samatina
A Murloc Raider
I got the message as well for a new version. Rythal, are you putting a version number in the .lua file? Turned out you had updated the .zip file, which I hadn't checked in a couple of days. I loaded it and my message was gone on the next login. I'm on Anvilmar by the way. And atm, we have very few folks using Carbonite where we used to have quite a lot.

09-05-12, 06:32 PM   #287
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by samatina View Post
I got the message as well for a new version. Rythal, are you putting a version number in the .lua file? Turned out you had updated the .zip file, which I hadn't checked in a couple of days. I loaded it and my message was gone on the next login. I'm on Anvilmar by the way. And atm, we have very few folks using Carbonite where we used to have quite a lot.
Yes, I update both the lua and toc files whenever i update.

09-05-12, 07:42 PM   #288
dhjohn
A Fallenroot Satyr
Great job with the update.
Me and my girlfriend use Carbonite, and it is great to have it working again.

One minor thing I noticed. In deepholm, the blizz minimap does the bugged area thing of going full black when you go into an "indoor" area. Outside though, it is fine. It happens in the main entrance area, and in the cave where you do the "Fear of Boring" and "Motes" dailies. Not sure if it happens in other places in Deepholm.

09-05-12, 07:45 PM   #289
txamethyst
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
My following statement probably has nothing to do with Carbonite and/or Rythal's great coding.

I just wanted to add something which I noticed today about the Professions dialog. The silly thing (now) replicates the names of the items I can create with my Engineering skill. Everytime I leave Shattrath City and then fly to Zangermarsh where there's an anvil/forge, each of the items in these list of things I can create are duplicated. For instance, after 4 trips back and forth, I have each item listed 4 times! But, logging out then in again, sets it back to only 1each. But, it starts doing it over again. LOL

Also, Rythal fixed the transparencies wonderfully!
The professions bug and the "you have learned" spam is related to the cross-realm zone implementation and probably will require a server fix as opposed to something client-side.

Now you know.

09-05-12, 07:49 PM   #290
shadowktten
A Defias Bandit
Much Thanks!!

Rythal, I just wanted to say thank you very much!!! I love Carbonite and I am addicted to it, it is one of my "MUST HAVE" addons. I hope the authors/developers of Carbonite do an offical update, soon...but at the very least, I hope they understand and appreciate what you have done and are doing. IMHO, you are keeping the fan base of Carbonite loyal and around. MOP is right around the corner and if not for you, I know I would be looking at other options to substitute for Carbonite...I am sure that many others would have been as well.

09-05-12, 09:11 PM   #291
Catitude
A Theradrim Guardian

Quests per Zone not displayed

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Love the work you've done on Carbonite... but, what I was wondering was, the quest tracking used to display the number of quests in zone for the zone achievement. Would there be any way to get that back?
where was this information before that's gone now so I can look into it? I know the map shows in the title how many quests for the achievement, and as far as I know it shouldn't of changed anywhere else (MoP zones and starter area's have no count to list)

Ed: NM, just reread it where you said tracker... i'll check
People who are not useing Carbonite are finding some 1st lvl chars even with full Loremaster achieves, when they have never gotten Loremaster for any Area on any Toon on any account.
Also others who have completed this on some toons but may or may not have noncompleted quest count /per zone showing on remaining toons in the achievements.
This will most likely effect Carbonites numbers till fixed by Blizzard

09-05-12, 09:14 PM   #292
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Tithulta View Post
you know there is an anvil and forge in Shatt in lower city. even a forge and i think a anvil in one of the factions upper areas. forget which tho
In the Scryer area, I think.

09-05-12, 10:57 PM   #293
flesyMeM
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Catitude View Post
People who are not useing Carbonite are finding some 1st lvl chars even with full Loremaster achieves, when they have never gotten Loremaster for any Area on any Toon on any account.
Also others who have completed this on some toons but may or may not have noncompleted quest count /per zone showing on remaining toons in the achievements.
This will most likely effect Carbonites numbers till fixed by Blizzard
That's because it's all account-wide now, so it doesn't have to ever be completed by any single toon on an account. If amongst all toons on all servers (both Alliance and Horde) you have done enough zones to get Loremaster, you will have completed the achievement for your account. The same applies to most other achievements as well. If you've got 36 mounts between all your Alliance toons, and 14 between all your Horde toons...you get the Albino Drake for your account.

You can certainly still redo a lot of achievements on individual toons, but why bother now? I suppose some of the more excessively anal players may really, really want to get that announcement saying they completed it...but there's zero other reason to do them again.

EDIT: My guess is that add-ons like Carbonite check to see if an achievement is completed, and if it already is it will not track it. If you load up the game without mods which affect the standard objective tracker, you can still manually select to track them with the Bliz UI. So, there's nothing to be fixed by Blizzard on this issue because it's working as intended on their end.

Last edited by flesyMeM : 09-05-12 at 11:30 PM.

09-05-12, 11:31 PM   #294
Sweetstuff
A Kobold Labourer

Rythal, I noticed that you said you updated the ability to track other party members quests on carbonite, altho this still isnt working for me or my other party members.
We have both selected to share party quests and we have both highlighted the white button on the interface. Any ideas? TY

09-06-12, 08:34 AM   #295
roya
A Defias Bandit
Is nobody else having issues with the latest 5.04.07 version? When I hit (m)ap i get an error message. I tried to post earlier about this since I do not know the proper protocol to report it. Thanks.

09-06-12, 09:31 AM   #296
Serra44
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm using the latest .07 version and although I've not played with it a lot yet, I've had no weird errors this morning.

I DID however see that Rythal managed to sneak in a map for the Darkmoon Faire. That's something my Carbonite didn't even have before the patch!

Man I love you!

09-06-12, 09:54 AM   #297
castersrus
A Fallenroot Satyr

I run the same one on both beta servers and live without issue.

no no no...not saying about the beta addon or anything like that. You were saying you would like for someone to test it on beta to see if everyone else got the same effects you were on the beta server with the update. Was talking about the Beta of WoW, not carb, making our puter go ape crap. We're not going to attempt beta panda again since we don't know what happened that made it that we couldn't access either it or live WoW when we installed it

09-06-12, 12:43 PM   #298
clayphd
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by roya View Post
Is nobody else having issues with the latest 5.04.07 version? When I hit (m)ap i get an error message. I tried to post earlier about this since I do not know the proper protocol to report it. Thanks.
I have this problem too.

09-06-12, 01:33 PM   #299
Enozder
A Defias Bandit
oddness

Rythal,

Before you did all this hard work (A terrific job I might add) and got Carbonite up and running again all my cataclysm zones had been fully explored. Now when I go to those zones they appear as they did before I explored them. I have flown over the zones again to see if I could "explore" them again that didn't work. I then tried checking the show unexplored zones that worked but also uncovered the pandaria zones as well which i didn't want to do. Any suggestions on this oddball problem would be great and very must appreciated.....thanks in advance.

09-06-12, 01:42 PM   #300
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
for those getting the error when you hit 'M':

My patch is NOT the full carbonite, you must have the old 4.301 installed, and then unzip mine overtop of it.
It will replace 3 files (carbonite.lua, carbonite.toc & localization.lua).

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 5.04