01-05-18, 08:14 PM   #1
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hardware Recommendations

Yes, another what build should I make post (sort of). I don't really do any serious gaming other than WoW, Diablo, Star Craft, LoL and maybe a few others in the same type of game. Rather than burn money and buy the latest fanciest CPU/GPU, I thought I might buy smart. While it is impossible to future proof hardware, I'd like to buy with an option to upgrade down the road. I typically hang on to hardware till it breaks or is near obsolete (usually due my being broke most of the time ).

WoW is primarily CPU intensive, but that does not mean ignore the GPU. I've read threads where the poster recommends a single core i3 over a multi-core i5 or i7! This community is pretty reasonable and well experienced with WoW and other games, so I'd appreciate thoughts on motherboard/CPU/GPU. I will probably use 16gb of ram and an SSD for all my games (maybe just one SSD for everything).

One last question, monitors. What is everyone using? Is a 4k monitor worth it since WoW is not 4k. What about latency? 1ms or is 5ms fine?

Oh, I don't raid or really run many instances due to being not being in an active guild. That could change.

Thanks as always!
01-05-18, 08:49 PM   #2
briskman3000
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Here is my build. Most parts were purchased in 2014, with the exception of the monitor that I bought last year. So far I haven't encountered anything that I can't run on high settings with performance issues:
  • Mobo: MSI Z87 XPOWER LGA 1150
  • CPU: i7-4790k
  • GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX970
  • RAM: 4x G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydra Series H100i
  • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 80+ Gold
  • Boot SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
  • Main SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
  • Storage HD: 3x WD Blue 1TB
  • Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T
  • DVD: LG Black Blu-ray burner
  • Monitor: Samsung U28E590D 28-inch

It's probably a bit overkill for most of what I do, but I like it and have no issues with anything I want to accomplish. I've also done some video editing / rendering and that seemed to process pretty quickly compared to how it used to go on my old PC.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed you are on Moon Guard. Hello fellow RP'er! I mainly play over on WrA.
01-05-18, 11:01 PM   #3
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by briskman3000 View Post
Here is my build. Most parts were purchased in 2014, with the exception of the monitor that I bought last year. So far I haven't encountered anything that I can't run on high settings with performance issues:
  • Mobo: MSI Z87 XPOWER LGA 1150
  • CPU: i7-4790k
  • GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX970
  • RAM: 4x G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydra Series H100i
  • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 80+ Gold
  • Boot SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
  • Main SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
  • Storage HD: 3x WD Blue 1TB
  • Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T
  • DVD: LG Black Blu-ray burner
  • Monitor: Samsung U28E590D 28-inch

It's probably a bit overkill for most of what I do, but I like it and have no issues with anything I want to accomplish. I've also done some video editing / rendering and that seemed to process pretty quickly compared to how it used to go on my old PC.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed you are on Moon Guard. Hello fellow RP'er! I mainly play over on WrA.
Thanks for the info! I don't RP like I would like to. I came over due to RL friends. I do avoid Goldshire on Moon Guard for obvious reasons.

I'm curious about the two SSD's. One for the OS, one for apps and games? I'm guessing the 3x 1tb drives are for longer term storage or really big files?
01-05-18, 11:22 PM   #4
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
The UI does support 4k resolutions (by way of scaling), but don't get 4k for gaming. It's more problems than it's worth.
01-05-18, 11:30 PM   #5
briskman3000
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 View Post
Thanks for the info! I don't RP like I would like to. I came over due to RL friends. I do avoid Goldshire on Moon Guard for obvious reasons.

I'm curious about the two SSD's. One for the OS, one for apps and games? I'm guessing the 3x 1tb drives are for longer term storage or really big files?
I actually just started with the one SSD and the 3 larger drives.

SSD - OS
HD1 - Games
HD2 - Programs that aren't games
HD3 - General storage

My games drive was nearing capacity from Steam purchases and random F2P MMOs that I play, and my slight OCD wouldn't allow me to put games on the program or storage drives, so I just bought the second SSD and put my most used games on it.

I originally didn't play on an RP server, but I gave it a chance a few months back and got hooked. Dove deep into my Dwarf after finding the Dwarven RP community on WrA. Keep at it, it gets pretty fun!

Last edited by briskman3000 : 01-05-18 at 11:35 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Hardware Recommendations