06-04-06, 05:10 PM   #1
mage423
A Kobold Labourer
elementalist mage vs. shadow priest

just wanting to know which would be better for my alt tell pros, cons, and good builds for them.
06-16-06, 12:16 PM   #2
Reisik
A Defias Bandit
My vote is for the Elementalist Mage.

Considering Evocation and instant AE are trainable this upcoming patch, there is no reason to waste talents up the arcane tree IMO.

Here is a PvP based Elementalist build that I plan on doing, not set in stone, but something I am considering, please give feedback. I wanted to have all the good burst damage abilities (Blastwave, CoC etc) while at the same time putting some points in stuns and snares (Impact, and Frostbite)

Here's a link, check it out, and let me know what you think!

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...03203102051300
06-16-06, 12:43 PM   #3
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would have a hard time giving up POM though. It is so handy.
06-16-06, 03:26 PM   #4
Reisik
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
I would have a hard time giving up POM though. It is so handy.
I agree with that, I used to be very reliant on the whole idea of PoM Pyroblast etc. for PvP. But I believe that this revision of our talents has brought a new style of PvP to our class, one that, in my opinion, will beat out the traditional Fire/Arc as well as the Frost/Arc spec'd mage.

The ability to spec half Fire/Frost while still being able to achieve Evocation and IAE is amazing for both PvP and PvE. The fact that you can achieve Ice Block to pick insane ammounts of damage, as well as having Blast Wave and other such talents from both trees is just awesome.

I have a few reasons why I am a little hesitant to try an elementalist build:
1) No PoM (As Mazzlefizz stated)
2) No ICS (This is the biggest loss IMO)
3) Difficulty level in using both fire and frost effectively.

So, if you are up for a new challenge, and ready to try and master the best of fire and frost, as well as have two of the best arcane talents at your disposal, I suggest trying an elementalist build next patch, it will be very powerful for both PvP and PvE.

If anyone has any other elementalist builds or non elementalist builds with the redone talents, please link them here so we can discuss!

-Rei
09-28-06, 10:10 AM   #5
Lilofire
A Murloc Raider
Something I'm thinking of trying out:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=RZxgGzccuZVA0corzo

has nice things from both worlds, while still allowing u some versatility in what your doing.
Also gives good options for what you want to do in raids, you get the increased dmg from Frostbolts, when fighting Fire immune mobs, and also get the ability to do rolling ignites with Fireball/Scorth
11-04-08, 11:22 AM   #6
eromrab
A Kobold Labourer
Smile

[EDIT: just noticed this post is over 2 years old... oops!]

Been working on designing my elementalist (fire & frost) mage design... geared for PvP.

Basic Build
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=oZfVcfoh0zZAI0uobuhbd
Key features: Pyroblast, Improved Scorch (main dmg spell), Blast wave (knock back AOE), Icy Veins, Cold Snap, and Ice Barrier.

Frost Strong Build (basic + frost)
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=oZfVc...AI0IobuIbd0dsx
Key features: (same as basic build), Improved water elemental!, and some other stuff.

Fire Strong Build (basic + fire + couple frost)
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=oZfVc...bZAI0uobuhrd0b
Key features: (same as basic build), Combustion, increased damage stuff.

Not sure what I want! haha.

I'm currently (ever since the new trees) a Fire Mage. I was always a Frost Mage before. I'm considering giving up my current build for this... I'm mostly just trading the ability to have instant cast Pyroblasts (which are really nice!) and living bomb (which isn't as wonderful as I thought it'd be, although not horrible... it's won me some PVP battles where I just kept casting it and running from the enemy!!), and some increased damage talents... for better protection and an elemental. :-)

As for the elementalist build above... seems more PvE oriented... I like PvP :-)

[EDIT] Notes: main damage spell is Scorch (hence improved scorch). I don't use fireball usually but with the brain freeze talent I guess I'll cast an instant one every once in a while. Frost is used to control the enemy and protect yourself.

[EDIT] Ok, after reviewing it, I edited it some more. Realized that since I won't be spamming frost spell, the winter's chill was kinda worthless. So I put those points into frozen core for the spell protection. Also, don't really need flame throwing since most of my fighting will be relatively close to take advantage of blastwave, frost nova, cone of cold, etc. With scorch and defensive spells (ice barrier, frost nova, blast wave, water elemental freeze spell) I should be able to stay very mobile.

[EDIT] Combine Major Glyphs: Water Elemental (reduces cooldown 30 more seconds!), Improved Scorch (adds 3 Improved Scorches each hit instead of 1), and either: Evocation (hp & mana regen), Ice Block (if you love your frost novas), or Icy Veins (remove movement and spell casting slowing effects). Minor Glyphs: doesn't really matter. I like the slow fall one, and the frost & fire ward ones look "ok." But none really matter.

Last edited by eromrab : 11-04-08 at 12:47 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » elementalist mage vs. shadow priest