02-17-09, 04:34 PM   #1
Villordsutch
A Murloc Raider

Chat logger - To keep my young uns safe

I am looking for an automatic chat logging mod that will record /say, /whispers, /party, /raid

I only ask as today my daughter got hurdled abuse at some rather rude person and I never got chance to get a screen grab.

It would be great if there was such a mod.

Thanks
02-17-09, 04:40 PM   #2
Gautr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons

I think Prat ( http://www.wowinterface.com/download...3-Prat3.0.html ) can be a alternative just look around in the config.
02-17-09, 05:24 PM   #3
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake

http://www.wowace.com/projects/elephant/

Might do what you want.

taken from description:

Elephant logs the chat for you in the background. It saves the WHISPERS, BATTLEGROUND, RAID, PARTY, SAY, YELL, OFFICER and GUILD chats separately, but also all general chats (General, Trade, LocalDefense, ...), custom chats you are currently on, loots and system messages (auctions, rolls, server going down, ...) and combat. When you want to read the logs, simply click on the Elephant icon in the FuBar (or type /elephant), then choose one of the chat icon on the right.

This is THE AddOn that you should install if you want to manage hell tells or simply go AFK for a few minutes. It is also perfectly designed for Guild Leaders, Officers and Raid Leaders particularly because it restores the chats when you get disconnected.
02-17-09, 07:36 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Villordsutch,

Just in case you ever need to turn someone in for being nasty.. all you need is the name and an approximate time. The in game GM's have the ability to bring up your logs and can find any and all conversations. (I learned this when some strange person decided to be very crude to me in whispers, and I turned them in.)

If I ever decide to let my kids play, I'll be coming back to this thread for addon tips.
02-17-09, 07:38 PM   #5
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Thumbs up

Let me applaud you for being one of the few parents out there who monitor their kids internet/gaming activities.

Not to sure if they exist but maybe there is a mod out there that can limit a whisper to only friends and guild mates.

Unfortunately one of the side affects of letting kids play a game like this is they are going to be subjected to issues like this. You could report the issue if it was harassment. You don't even need a player name to do so. Just a date, time frame and description of what happened. Blizz logs ALL chat. They could go back to that conversation time and see if any appropriate action should be taken against the offender. -EDIT- Darn it Silenia you beat me to it .. -EDIT-

Also I suggest trying not to retaliate against people like this (not saying you do or plan on it's just a suggestion ). You know ... the whole "two wrongs don't make a right" argument. Simple right click their name and select ignore. There conversation will no longer be seen by that character anymore.

Good luck
02-18-09, 01:12 AM   #6
Villordsutch
A Murloc Raider

Thanks for these suggestions and comments.

I want my daughter to have fun on the web but at the same time I don't want here to have to put up with the offensive nonsense, nor to run off with a failed solider to france at some point in the future

I reported as spam at them moment and our guild leader seems knows the offenders guild leader. However as I never had the screencap the guild leader couldn't provide the needed proof for the other guild leader.

Again thank you for the responses and I shall have a good luck at these addons over the next few days.
02-18-09, 01:24 AM   #7
tinyu
A Molten Giant

just a question do u have the mature language filter turned on?
02-18-09, 02:46 AM   #8
Villordsutch
A Murloc Raider

Yes all be it RP server sometimes it is needed
02-18-09, 07:12 AM   #9
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
note that report spam does not definitively ignore a player, it just ignores for the actual session but as long as you disconnect or reloadui the offender won't be ignored no more, you have to throw it to the ignore list with /ignore PlayerName and why not to use IgnoreMore that goes around the 49 ignore restriction, for sure in that game there is more than 49 holes to ignore.
02-18-09, 10:53 AM   #10
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Also the report spam will not help in getting the person correctly reported. That feature was meant more or less for gold spammers and such.

You need to press the ? on the MiniMenu on the action bar and report harassment there. This will get the issue directly to a GM to further investigate.

Also you do not need proof. If you daughter said this happened then that's all you need. Report it let the GM's decide if anything really did happen and then they can take the appropriate action.
02-18-09, 12:00 PM   #11
Villordsutch
A Murloc Raider

Will GM report it later tonight.

Thank you for that info, always thought report spam was an instant gm ticket
02-19-09, 12:08 AM   #12
tinyu
A Molten Giant

I have mixed feelings about this thread, while i applaud you for being one of the few parents that actually monitors their child's gaming and makes sure they are safe i cant help but be a little bit annoyed as i generally hate having to censor myself when i play World of Warcraft with players under the age of 18 but i do make an attempt although i have to admit some of the kids I've played WoW with have some pretty bad language themselves.

Do you know if the player that said those things to your daughter knows that your daughter is as old as she is?

It could be that the offending player was having a bad day i know I've accidentally let some choice words slip when I've been in a bad mood.

All I'm trying to say is that straight up reporting someone for using foul language does sound a bit much but then again it all depends on what the person said.

Hope you get this issue sorted.

Lothaer.
02-19-09, 12:21 AM   #13
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Lothaer, there's a difference between the occasional foul word in general chat and individual-specific directed abuse. From what I understand of the thread, the young lady was directly targeted, not that she merely overheard some random crap in the general channel. The OP never said foul language, she said abusive.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
02-19-09, 12:29 AM   #14
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
I have mixed feelings about this thread, while i applaud you for being one of the few parents that actually monitors their child's gaming and makes sure they are safe i cant help but be a little bit annoyed as i generally hate having to censor myself when i play World of Warcraft with players under the age of 18 but i do make an attempt although i have to admit some of the kids I've played WoW with have some pretty bad language themselves.

Do you know if the player that said those things to your daughter knows that your daughter is as old as she is?

It could be that the offending player was having a bad day i know I've accidentally let some choice words slip when I've been in a bad mood.

All I'm trying to say is that straight up reporting someone for using foul language does sound a bit much but then again it all depends on what the person said.

Hope you get this issue sorted.

Lothaer.
While I do agree that one should not have to censor themselves in an online game (or anywhere for that matter) people should also have the respect that others are there with them.

This girl was attacked through whispers. Therefore she was verbally harassed. It is against the TOC to verbally abuse other players. Although we do not know the whole transcripts of what was said Blizzard does. Therefore reporting them is the best option. If Blizzard determines that anything said was within the rules then they will prolly send out a warning e-mail and it will be done with. If said person DID in fact verbally abuse her then yeah .. they should be banned (perm or temp).

Also "Having a bad day" is hardly an excuse to be an ass. If that is your excuse for swearing at people then you really need to grow up.
02-19-09, 01:10 AM   #15
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Anonymity online is too much responsibility for the average human being, it seems. I too believe WoW should not be played by children, but since it is, maybe adults should just act like adults and learn to not use anonymity as a free for all outlet for blowing off steam or belittling people they don't really know.
02-19-09, 01:59 AM   #16
tinyu
A Molten Giant

lol i knew id get mixed responses with my last post lol.

i wish that blizz made age restricted servers that would check your birth date in your account info and if your DOB put you under the age of 18 then you would be denied access to those servers .
02-19-09, 02:17 AM   #17
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I know many many teens and even pre-teens who are a whole heck of a lot more mature than many supposed "adults". Chronological age has nothing to do with maturity and acceptable behaviour.
02-19-09, 03:13 AM   #18
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

tinyu, my response wasn't directed at you, more agreeing with you in regards to age.

I agree with Cairenn also, but people being what they are and driven mostly by emotion makes for a situation that is bound to be explosive and not a great atmosphere for minors to be exposed. I'm in my mid 30's and know to curtail my language in public venues, even though my language is generally kept civil and as 'generic' as possible in private as well.

With that being said, adults wanting to play with adults (and not children), for me, has nothing to do with "maturity". It has to do with unwinding with my peers and doing things with other adults without worrying if what I say is going to be monitored by a parent who doesn't "get" a certain individual's sense of humour or listening to some kid about how they skipped school to play wow and gain 7 levels (although I see some of this from "adults" also). I've been reported and banned for booting a kid from my guild once after telling him only losers who will amount to nothing skip school for video games (I'd spoken to the kid a number of times before in a much nicer tone about skipping school). I'm not a babysitter, but I feel a moral responsibilty to do and say the right thing... that's my personal problem with kids on mmos.
02-19-09, 04:30 AM   #19
Villordsutch
A Murloc Raider

I agree on the odd krap or ffs in the heat of a battle (raid, dungeon etc) but this was MF's, reta** etc directed at her via whispers.

All reported to Gm thanks to comments on the board and they are investigating.

I don't mind my children or other children playing the game, RP servers I consider are to be a bit more less likely to gain abuse. I would place my daughter on a PvP server for this reason, watching my nephew and his guild members talk to each other is an eye opener.

I do however think that adults should play the resposible card and not be out of eye shot whilst they are on the computer with a set of ground rules before the log on. e.g. two hours a day every other day, break a rule in the home and no WoW or miniclip etc
02-19-09, 05:02 AM   #20
tinyu
A Molten Giant

yup and you can even limit the amount of time they can play for in the account settings

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Chat logger - To keep my young uns safe