01-29-15, 12:56 PM   #1
Solarin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Client crashes when changing bar textures

I have had a curious issue crop up since I came back to play WoD. For most addons that I use, when I attempt to change the bar textures (and occasionally the fonts) via the drop down menu the game crashes. Would Sharedmedia be the major culprit? If anyone has any ideas I would be interested in finally sorting this issue out.

Game crash screenshot
01-29-15, 02:46 PM   #2
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Did you try to use Monochrome for the Font? I know many addons had problems with that.
01-29-15, 03:47 PM   #3
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

My babies

Sadly, stuff like ERROR #132 is hard to debug.
Howerver, SharedMedia/LibSharedMedia-3.0 shouldn't be the source (unless for some reasons, one of the textures/fonts it provides is corrupt). At least for me (and many others I suppose) EBB + SM doesn't cause #132 crashes.

When exactly does it crash? When opening the dropdown or when selecting an entry?

regarding "MONOCHROME", EBB only uses "", "OUTLINE" or "THICKOUTLINE".

Last edited by Elkano : 01-29-15 at 03:53 PM.
01-29-15, 07:39 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-40 addons using LibSharedMedia for fonts, bar textures, borders, backgrounds, and sounds and haven't had any crashes. Most likely, either you have some addon using the "MONOCHROME" font flag (it's been a known issue for quite a long time, and while it's been claimed to be fixed on multiple occasions, it keeps coming back) or you have some media file registered with LibSharedMedia that's corrupted in some way that crashes the client.

If you're using a "media pack" addon that registeres a bunch of fonts/textures/etc. I'd start by disabling that and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, proceed with a binary search to narrow it down. If you're not able to figure it out on your own, it may be helpful to post a list of your addons.
01-29-15, 09:12 PM   #5
Solarin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Elkano View Post
My babies

Sadly, stuff like ERROR #132 is hard to debug.
Howerver, SharedMedia/LibSharedMedia-3.0 shouldn't be the source (unless for some reasons, one of the textures/fonts it provides is corrupt). At least for me (and many others I suppose) EBB + SM doesn't cause #132 crashes.

When exactly does it crash? When opening the dropdown or when selecting an entry?

regarding "MONOCHROME", EBB only uses "", "OUTLINE" or "THICKOUTLINE".
It crashes whenever I try to operate a dropdown menu (even for EBB which I use) to select bar textures. It is not consistent however, with some addons allowing for the selection of a texture. It seems to be correlated to the act of a dropdown menu or scrolling through it.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-40 addons using LibSharedMedia for fonts, bar textures, borders, backgrounds, and sounds and haven't had any crashes. Most likely, either you have some addon using the "MONOCHROME" font flag (it's been a known issue for quite a long time, and while it's been claimed to be fixed on multiple occasions, it keeps coming back) or you have some media file registered with LibSharedMedia that's corrupted in some way that crashes the client.

If you're using a "media pack" addon that registeres a bunch of fonts/textures/etc. I'd start by disabling that and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, proceed with a binary search to narrow it down. If you're not able to figure it out on your own, it may be helpful to post a list of your addons.
Thanks I am going to look through this info and see if I can pinpoint the issue.

Last edited by Solarin : 01-29-15 at 09:19 PM.
01-30-15, 03:09 AM   #6
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

There are currently at least two types of dropdown menus around for selecting textures:
- a simple menu that will only show the name
- an advanced menu provided by AceGUI-3.0-SharedMediaWidgets that also provides a preview of the textures
some addons may also provide their own implementation with previews

those with text only should be fine; do some of those that don't cause a crash also show previews? Which addons are those?
01-30-15, 11:29 AM   #7
Solarin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I was able to identify the SharedMedia_MyMedia folder as the culprit behind the crashes. When I removed the folder from the addon directory, I can freely access the drop down menus for all the addons I previously had issues with.

I just need to figure out what the problem was with the folder because I am using a few custom textures and fonts.

I greatly appreciate you all taking the time to help me out.

Last edited by Solarin : 01-30-15 at 01:44 PM.
01-30-15, 12:34 PM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Are you sure all of the textures follow the wow guidelines, and the fonts are .ttf 's? There might be only one (texture or font) causing this problem.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
01-30-15, 01:45 PM   #9
Solarin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
So I went back and just recreated the folder following the instructions in the Sharedmedia folder using the automatic .bat method. Everything works perfectly now so far. You guys were super helpful and I really appreciate everyone's assistance with clearing up this frustrating issue.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Client crashes when changing bar textures