12-30-14, 12:16 PM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Question Question: Carbonite.Items

The GitHub lists Carbonite.Items (even though it is no longer listed in the Live version, or sub-forums).

What is it used for?
  • What does it do?
  • Is it integrated into another Carbonite module (.lua)? If so, which one?
  • Is it necessary for any other Carbonite module to work properly?
There's no information/description on "Items," therefore I'm asking here so that I can understand what its purpose/use is for.
12-30-14, 04:05 PM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
It was basically Atlas Loot for Carbonite allowing you to search out items

It was severely outdated and i'm not even sure working so while it's on github, it is something to be looked at down the road for bringing back.
01-07-15, 04:37 AM   #3
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I have had a look, at the moment there is only the data on github, packed with what looks like a rather primitive version of manual LZW compression. I assume the code to unpack can be found in an older version of Carbonite, though the more interesting question is what to do with the data anyway once unpacked.

I like the idea of an item db, but it'll be probably more helpful if we had a smaller db of the recent gear similar to atlasloot or the data that askmrrobot is based on.
01-07-15, 08:38 AM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
It went under the guide, to allow you to search out items. All of the code is still there, but the main header / folder to allow it was removed since the database of items was so out of date.

Nx.Map.Guide:ItemsUpdateFolder (folder) is the unpacking function.
01-07-15, 08:47 AM   #5
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
What I don't get is: why did they compress the item db? The whole stuff is downloaded as a zip anyway - and it gets uncompressed in memory on loading, so there's really no advantage to it - or is there?

Also, I'd probably want to verify if we can utilize external data, like that of AtlasLoot enhanced - also, from what I see, with all those APIs to get informations about items from within the game, we don't really need the names of the items, rather their ids and their origins - we can get name, stats etc. through GetItemInfo(itemId) and GetItemStats(itemLink, [statTable]).

Last edited by atl77 : 01-07-15 at 09:01 AM.
01-07-15, 08:55 AM   #6
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by atl77 View Post
What I don't get is: why did they compress the item db? The whole stuff is downloaded as a zip anyway - and it gets uncompressed in memory on loading, so there's really no advantage to it - or is there?
Welcome to the old carbonite, everything and anything was encoded to stop people from working with it. If you ever look at the original source code, everything literally was encoded like this from quests to zones to items and guide info.

It was part of the obfuscation efforts they employed.

I was able to reverse it using the various unpack methods and then recoding it to use the unpacked info instead which resulted in what we have now and things being plain english. Before hand when it was obfuscated you couldn't do that as you had no idea what the unpack functions were even called as everything was one or two letter variable / function names.
01-07-15, 09:10 AM   #7
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Thank you for your answer, Rythal. I'd like to help and improve further, but at the moment, I'm not sure which part I should work on, so I figure it's better to coordinate our effords. Is there something you want me to look into?
01-07-15, 10:01 AM   #8
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
It needs to be redone from the ground up, pulled away from guides and instead done on it's own as a fully separate module with it's own windows and buttons.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Dev Talk » Question: Carbonite.Items