06-23-13, 04:08 AM   #1
Hagendaz
A Murloc Raider
Rank points Addon Request

I recently thought of an idea to award people points towards guild ranks based on their activity outside of guild chat/how often they're online. According to people I've spoke to about it, it's already something many people use.

What rank points are (mine atleast): Rank points are points given out for completing raids that we do each week, these being Cata heroic raids, though I also utilize this for current raids such as progression and farming raids. You gain points based on how difficult the raid is and generally how long it takes to complete. The points are pretty much to my discretion seeing as how I'm the GM, however I do think they're fair. So far I've been tracking it in a google docs spreadsheet, which has its perks (people able to see how close they are to the next rank etc) but it's very tiresome to go and manually see who's came to each raid and if they did it from start to finish. I've been tracking the progress here -> tinyurl.com/devastationrps (rps - rank point system)

So if I read the forum correctly it's possible to request an addon, whether it's out on the net already or if it can be made I'd greatly appreciate any help. I'll also list the functionality that I'd like it to provide as well as how it should/could work, I'm not too familiar with how data is gathered for addons either so bare with me.

Functionality -

First thing is it's going to need to be able to have values changed for the points awarded so that whoever uses the addon can change values given by each raid. The values needed for each rank up will also need to be able to be changed.

So this is roughly how I imagine it could work (if it was possible) - You press the "Start raid" button (Could be named anything really that goes along with it) and it'll run a check to see who in your raid is a guild member and essentially write that down on the addon ui (saving it for the future obviously) after the raid is finished you'd press the "Raid End" or "End Raid" button and it'll run another check for the people from guild that have been there from the "Start Raid" button's guildy check. Once you press the end raid button and the check is complete it'll prompt you as to which raid it was, you click whichever one it was and it'll add points to those guildies based on the values you entered for said raid. Total values should be able to be modified if any errors occur and Rank based on points should also display what rank they SHOULD be seeing as how the addon shouldn't and (cant?) automate rank ups within the guild.

Extras - After you press the end raid button and the points are awarded you could also have it say in raid what everybodys new values are and how many more are needed to their next rank (name). Also add the ability to create more raids to click once you've hit the end raid button.

Example of above scenario in relative terms: Myself and the council of my guild (no real need to track points so I won't post our names here but say 8 people can't be ranked any higher) we have 8 max ranked people 1 pug and 1 guildy. Raid Start button *click* -> runs a check to see who's in the raid AND guild -> all of us but the one pug are, including our 1 non max ranked guildy. It then writes all of our names down, then we complete half the raid, and the pug drops and we pick another guildy up. Raid ends and you press "Raid End" it runs another check and names that match from the first check to the last are awarded points based on which raid I click and we did. So the guildy that came in late gets no points. It then says "Felmen, Recruit (8), 2 points needed until Soldier. Not sure how hard this would be to make, seems more complicated when you type it out but I'm anxious to see what other people think since I think it has some potential.

TL;DR Raid start -> Guildy Parse, Raid End -> Guildy Parse (If there's the same value (name) in both said person is awarded points) -> Points given out for raid we just did (I choose) *Unless you can run a check for whatever raid we did and add points without needing to select which raid we did at the end*

*note* I use decimals so if decimal functionality could be there that'd be great too! But I could always just adjust values needed for ranks and the sort.

Thanks a lot and congratulations if you made it to the end of this wall of text.

Last edited by Hagendaz : 06-23-13 at 04:13 AM.
06-23-13, 04:49 AM   #2
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think there is one big problem with this idea, and that is where to save the data of how many points each guild member has... maybe some more seasoned developers around here would have an idea on how to make that possible? :P
06-23-13, 10:01 AM   #3
Hagendaz
A Murloc Raider
While I hope there is a way to save the data. It's not completely needed as just knowing how many of each raid they've done in an easier manner would be awesome! Awaiting more replies, and thank you for yours.
06-23-13, 12:27 PM   #4
Gethe
RealUI Developer

Premium Member
Featured
You could check out EP/GP (the addon). This tracks each persons ep/gp standings individually from the Officer Note. Then you can set the note to viewable (but not editable) by all so people can see where they're at. It also gives a UI for individual grants of points, but also mass grants of points (raids).

This addon could probably be adapted to do what you're wanting to do.

06-23-13, 02:10 PM   #5
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Gethe View Post
You could check out EP/GP (the addon). This tracks each persons ep/gp standings individually from the Officer Note. Then you can set the note to viewable (but not editable) by all so people can see where they're at. It also gives a UI for individual grants of points, but also mass grants of points (raids).

This addon could probably be adapted to do what you're wanting to do.
Gethe is right. EPGP is what my main guild uses for deciding raid loot. You could used the "earned points" field and manually change people's ranks based on that field.

Marth

06-23-13, 02:53 PM   #6
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Problem is, if you use EPGP for rank points... you can't use EPGP for loot
06-24-13, 12:45 PM   #7
Hagendaz
A Murloc Raider
Thanks again for such timely replies! I will check that out and get back to you on how well it works for what I'm looking for. Also right now since the realm I'm on is dying and such current raids essentially just go to /roll for loot and no form of dkp or attendance based loot goes out so I would in fact be able to use it just for guild activity. Thanks again!

~ Hagendaz
06-25-13, 10:12 AM   #8
Hagendaz
A Murloc Raider
I've tried installing epgp but can't figure out how to only award points to people in the raid, unless I need to be in the raid first with guildies?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Rank points Addon Request