09-13-11, 12:57 AM   #1
Coquet
The Fussy

Premium Member
Lightbulb new desktop

Around 2 weeks I've been searching and trying to have better knowledge about a pc specialities in order to play WoW with the highest standards.
I would like to get your opinions if you find any feature below redundant or insufficient.

Pc brand-name I'm about to order from is Origin
Features:
[+] Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 stepping (USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s)
[+] Processor: Overclocked Intel Core i7 2600K 4.7GHz - 5.2GHz LGA 1155 Quad-Core Processor (8MB L3 Cache)
[+] System Cooling: ORIGIN High - Performance CPU Liquid Cooling w/ Refill Kit Powered by EK Waterblocks (Noiseblocker Fans Included)
[+] Power Supply: 850 Watt Corsair TX850 PSU
[+] Graphics Card: Single 1536MB GDDR5 Nvidia GTX 580
[+] Memory: 8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866Mhz (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Memory
[+] Hard Drive: 500GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD
[+] Networking: Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card
[+] Operating System: Genuine MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition
[+] Audio: 8-channel High Definition Surround Sound Support

09-13-11, 02:34 AM   #2
ALZA
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This PC setup looks really nice, even more than ehough to run WoW with ultra settings. But IMO points that should be noted:

1. WoW as 32bit application simply can't use more than 2Gb of RAM. Even if WoW developers are smart enough (for sure they are ) and compile it with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag - the cap for mem usage is only 4Gb. So it's enough to have 4Gb RAM if the PC is "WoW-only".

2. Liquid cooling is great, but in needs more attention than classic air coolers. Every year or so the liquid have to be replaced to keep all the system clean. Also these systems often can be even more noisy because it has not only fans, but also water pump, which is far from beeing noiseless.

3. The one thing that I'd suggest adding is SSD drive. Any of latest models is OK, for example OCZ VERTEX 3 based on SandForce SF-2000 family flash memory controller. The exact model is not so important, just make sure it's over 80Gb capacity. SSD makes both Windows and WoW run smoothly without freezes and also speeds up any kind of loading/zoning/phasing processes.
09-13-11, 05:47 AM   #3
Othgar
"That" Guy

only other thing I would add to Alza'a post is that if you do plan on using traditional HD's instead of SSD's then get one that's 6gb/sec to match the mobo.

As far as the liquid cooling options, if you're going to OC that far then liquid is the way to go. It may be a little louder than air although I'm not too certain about that, but it will definitely keep your CPU cooler.

And also if it's an option I'd go with a 1000 watt power supply. It never hurts to have more than you need but it sucks hard to not have quite enough.

09-13-11, 06:03 AM   #4
Melikae
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'd stick to some good fans and heatsink instead of liquid cooling (Noctua for example builds awesome stuff) and there's no need to overlock the CPU, imho.
It will only produce more heat and you would most probably not notice the difference in performance anyway...
09-13-11, 10:06 AM   #5
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

If you're dead set on a boutique premade, you could probably get better quality, and maybe even save some cash by taking a look at Digital Storm. They've got far more options as far as PC builds go, as well.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
09-13-11, 12:45 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Coquet View Post

I would like to get your opinions if you find any feature below redundant or insufficient.
Pc brand-name I'm about to order from is Origin
Features:
[+] Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 stepping (USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s)
[+] Processor: Overclocked Intel Core i7 2600K 4.7GHz - 5.2GHz LGA 1155 Quad-Core Processor (8MB L3 Cache)
[+] System Cooling: ORIGIN High - Performance CPU Liquid Cooling w/ Refill Kit Powered by EK Waterblocks (Noiseblocker Fans Included)
[+] Power Supply: 850 Watt Corsair TX850 PSU
[+] Graphics Card: Single 1536MB GDDR5 Nvidia GTX 580
[+] Memory: 8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866Mhz (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Memory
[+] Hard Drive: 500GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD
[+] Networking: Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card
[+] Operating System: Genuine MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition
[+] Audio: 8-channel High Definition Surround Sound Support

That's a bit much actually... serious overkill for Wow.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » new desktop