07-03-19, 09:42 PM   #21
Dejablue
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Any word on beta access for addon authors?

As it is, looks like I will have to choose between making addons and actually playing Classic. Pretty frustrated right now, would love to make plans.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers!
07-03-19, 10:39 PM   #22
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Considering there's less than two months until launch, we probably have a month left give or take a couple weeks. It's safe to say at this late stage, there aren't going to be many if any invites going out now. As explained earlier, only a handful of keys were given out to authors this time around.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 07-03-19 at 10:42 PM.
07-03-19, 10:49 PM   #23
Dejablue
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Considering there's less than two months until launch, we probably have a month left give or take a couple weeks. It's safe to say at this late stage, there aren't going to be many if any invites going out now. As explained earlier, only a handful of keys were given out to authors this time around.
I assumed as much, but thought I would ask in case something changed. I am keenly aware of the issue and the new "pay-to-play" nature of Classic addon development.

I don't intend to come across as putting this upon WoWInterface, I am also inquiring at Curse and elsewhere; heck, Curse didn't even have BfA beta access.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers!
07-03-19, 10:56 PM   #24
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I don't think that's gonna happen. The beta ends in a week.

We have now reached a stage where WoW Classic is in a good state for reconciling remaining issues, and we intend to shift our focus away from the closed beta, which will end on July 12.
There'll be a stress test on July 25-26, but that's about it.

The next time you'll be able to play Classic will be when it's released.
07-03-19, 11:21 PM   #25
Dejablue
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by lightspark View Post

I get your point. I am not wanting to play Classic. I want to get my addons developed and out of the way.

Cheers!
07-04-19, 12:16 AM   #26
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I am keenly aware of the issue and the new "pay-to-play" nature of Classic addon development.
I wasn't aware of any "pay-to-play" mechanism this time around. There was just an abnormally sparse number of keys and they went on a first-come-first-serve basis as always. I was one of the few lucky enough to get in on time.
07-04-19, 01:07 AM   #27
Dejablue
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by lightspark View Post

I wasn't aware of any "pay-to-play" mechanism this time around. There was just an abnormally sparse number of keys and they went on a first-come-first-serve basis as always. I was one of the few lucky enough to get in on time.
To be clear I am talking about Blizzard, not WoWI. Even if my account was flagged for alpha/beta, I would have had to be subscribed to develop Classic addons; to have physical access. This appears to be an immutable requirement of Classic.

This means that even after launch one will have to subscribe to develop addons for Classic. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a PTR later, but launch won't have that benefit.

Hopefully there is a non stress test open beta where this can resolve itself.

Cheers!
07-04-19, 07:32 AM   #28
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Even those given keys ( names passed to blizzard ) didn't necessarily get given access to the beta. I had to update nUI during the 2 stress tests I got access to. I've been checking every couple of days to see if I have been given access yet but no dice. And that is with a subscription active.
07-04-19, 10:26 AM   #29
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yeah, they asked me for a dozen or so names, then didn't even give access to most (any?) of them. =/
07-04-19, 02:07 PM   #30
Dejablue
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Even those given keys ( names passed to blizzard ) didn't necessarily get given access to the beta. I had to update nUI during the 2 stress tests I got access to. I've been checking every couple of days to see if I have been given access yet but no dice. And that is with a subscription active.
Sorry to hear that ;/ that is crazy that you had to do that; nUI has been around forever and with this mix of pre-WoD and 7.x/8.x I would like to see that you, and others, tested its veracity and stability.

And just to clarify for anyone reading this, I don't think I am special, and don't want to start trouble and certainly am not blaming WoWI, it's how I got into late alpha the last three expansions, it has been an awesome boon from Cairenn and crew and I am sure it wasn't easy.

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Yeah, they asked me for a dozen or so names, then didn't even give access to most (any?) of them. =/
Yeah to go from dozens of bonafide authors both here and on Curse that will inherently test the content along with the UI to less than a dozen for Classic is concerning. In vanilla beta there were tons of addons, albeit no established authors yet that could get flagged via association or reputation; and the game is starting at 1.12 anyway; by way of example, just like Feral Druid tanks will be more viable starting with 1.12, post class pass, the UI may present interesting challenges. Certainly Decursive and addons of that ilk, those way too powerful, will not be available, it leaves a void, perhaps not in those specific addon's purview, but in the evolution of the UI/API and game itself.

I know my particular addon's domain of character stats is completely different than 7.x and 8.x and is using pre-WoD code/API. I have reluctantly subscribed to get in for stress tests that are coming, but it is not an ideal development environment.

Anyway, here's hoping the stress tests are enough and or that an open beta period is in store; for the sake of Classic's launch. I apologize if my tin-foil hat shocked anyone,

Cheers!
07-05-19, 08:55 AM   #31
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Sorry to hear that ;/ that is crazy that you had to do that; nUI has been around forever and with this mix of pre-WoD and 7.x/8.x I would like to see that you, and others, tested its veracity and stability.
Yeah, the best I could do is to make sure it didn't bug out on login and via questing. Next stress test is to test that class/race specifics don't cause issues. I've asked that anyone using it with beta access to give it a once over but with so limited a count ( considering the user base interested in Classic both past and present )
07-07-19, 01:19 AM   #32
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
I got access within a couple days of making my request. If they're really being so negligent with their offers to the addon community, it makes me wonder how the future beta opportunities will pan out.
07-07-19, 11:59 AM   #33
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
It may just be that it's Classic and not an expansion.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-07-19, 01:56 PM   #34
Dejablue
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
That is my guess too.
07-07-19, 03:29 PM   #35
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Yes, I think this might be the system for those games that are part of a subscription rather than being a subscription.

Anyone can play regular wow up to level 20, but only a subscriber can play classic.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Attention Authors (and Users) of WoW Classic Addons